2017 fj-09 turns over well ; but wont start unless fully charged

500uAmps sounds normal to me. Sounds like the battery has plenty of juice to turn over the engine. If the problem persist I would look into the ignition system  next.  However, its not the easiest to get to the spark plugs and coils.

2 hours ago, howie333 said:

I'm getting .5ma or .0005A parasitic drain at this time.

I don't think that is killing your battery. Letting any vehicle sit unused will kill a battery...

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I don't think that is killing your battery. Letting any vehicle sit unused will kill a battery...

Well, I found 2 fuse outputs causing the parasitic drain. Total drain is .5ma; .34ma on a 7.5A fuse marked (backup) and .14ma 30 amp marked (ABS motor).  I looked up those loads and Backup to basically to backup power to the Clock and odometer as I have suspected, and the ABS motor must need a backup power also. So I guess those parasitic loads are normal and all I need to do is to replace the battery..  I just have to decide AGM vs. Lithium Iron. 

Thanks for replies...

Edited by howie333
  • Thumbsup 1

On 1/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, howie333 said:

I get 14.8 volts when running .

Awesome. The good news is your charging system is strong.

No more issues if you get a reputable battery.

• Thumbsup 1

50 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Awesome. The good news is your charging system is strong.

No more issues if you get a reputable battery.

14.5-14.8V running AFAIK  . Battery now if charged is approx 12.2 V, and after trying to start several times is down to 11.9V and will not start bike unless I bring voltage up w/ tendor, but will not last. I tested the battery on a Harbor Freight battery testor which showed it weak after charged up, so I guess it's done. I'm shopping now Lith or AGM.

Thanks for replies...

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, OZVFR said:

If your battery is only 12.2v fully charged it’s stuffed. 
It should be around 13.1v. 
I was going to ask earlier if you tested the battery, I assumed that you had. 

Well; either way I  did assume battery was defective, but I'd like to know what's causing a parasitic draw and to determine Amp/HR performance incase I'd choose a lithium battery replacement because of it draining too quickly destroying battery, but w/ BMS on most Lithium batteries, and choosing a high AH, I should be OK. still not sure which type battery  to choose yet though.   

On 1/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, howie333 said:

... Bike is kept inside and occasionally put on battery tender if bike is down for more than a couple of weeks. 

I had a job where I was out of town about 6 months of the year, for 12 years.

The best luck I had was fully charging before going out of town, then DISCONNECTING cables. Did that for about 7 years. No problems. Ironically it was the tender that screwed me.

With the older style wet battery (not AGM or lithium) I put a name brand "Battery Tender" on it, thinking it would sense when charged, go into trickle mode, etc.  Came home to a dry battery, it was toast. Water boiled out of it.

As a diagnostic, you figured out the parasitic draw was negligible. How long was it sitting and if it was a "wet" battery, did the level go down? Just curious.

9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I had a job where I was out of town about 6 months of the year, for 12 years.

The best luck I had was fully charging before going out of town, then DISCONNECTING cables. Did that for about 7 years. No problems. Ironically it was the tender that screwed me.

With the older style wet battery (not AGM or lithium) I put a name brand "Battery Tender" on it, thinking it would sense when charged, go into trickle mode, etc.  Came home to a dry battery, it was toast. Water boiled out of it.

As a diagnostic, you figured out the parasitic draw was negligible. How long was it sitting and if it was a "wet" battery, did the level go down? Just curious.

I've got AGM batteries in all my bikes, no more than 2 weeks w/o charge. I'm now also looking @ the Motocross battery. It supposed to be a relabeled Yuasa, and as reliable as OEM; but still only a 1 year warrantee. I'm still on the fence w/ the Lithium Antigravity.  

Edited by howie333
  • Thumbsup 1

My FJ09 came with a Firepower AGM battery.  I never heard of that brand till now.  Still works great after 2+ years and 10k miles. In times of non-use put on a battery tender at least once a month.  All the time is best.

I've been useing Scorpion batteries from  Batteries and stuff in my various bikes for 15+ years.

usually get 7 years out of a battery.

When you receive it, put it on the tender first till solid green  before installation.

The warranty is a year.  Any deffect in a battery will show up by then.  The rest is up to you.  Motorcycles aren't cars.  Their system will keep a good battery good. It won't charge a weak battery well.

Edited by peteinpa

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

My FJ09 came with a Firepower AGM battery.  I never heard of that brand till now.  Still works great after 2+ years and 10k miles. In times of non-use put on a battery tender at least once a month.  All the time is best.

I've been useing Scorpion batteries from  Batteries and stuff in my various bikes for 15+ years.

usually get 7 years out of a battery.

When you receive it, put it on the tender first till solid green  before installation.

The warranty is a year.  Any deffect in a battery will show up by then.  The rest is up to you.  Motorcycles aren't cars.  Their system will keep a good battery good. It won't charge a weak battery well.

Thanks for reply. I called Batterystuff about my present Scorpion battery, and told me I should have got the Motocross made by Yuasa in Japan vs. the Scorpion made in China, but what do I know !

Japanese YUASA for me, that's all I run anymore concerning AGM battery. I can't fathom where there would be a parasitic drain somewhere, unless it is an unswitched outlet with a USB charger plugged in.

14 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Any bike with a clock, trip odometers and other computers will have a parasitic drain..... bottom line, connect up to a Battery Tender if it's going to sit a week or more.

14 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Any bike with a clock, trip odometers and other computers will have a parasitic drain..... bottom line, connect up to a Battery Tender if it's going to sit a week or more.

Will Do !   I ordered the Motocross version AGM Yuasa battery for $132. Hope this one works out, and will be more careful