2017 fj-09 turns over well ; but wont start unless fully charged

No matter the stock parasitic draw, any decent battery will last many weeks without a tender. 
Even in winter, my bike starts the moment it starts to turn many weeks after standing. 
On my tour of LA to Whistler over 6 weeks, when I got back to Oz the bike started straight away without any hesitation. 
Way too much thought has gone into this thread. You should be fine with the battery you bought. 

• Thumbsup 2

17 hours ago, OZVFR said:

No matter the stock parasitic draw, any decent battery will last many weeks without a tender. 
Even in winter, my bike starts the moment it starts to turn many weeks after standing. 
On my tour of LA to Whistler over 6 weeks, when I got back to Oz the bike started straight away without any hesitation. 
Way too much thought has gone into this thread. You should be fine with the battery you bought. 

I'm sure; but that tells me my Scorpion battery in question is related to it's quality considering it Being on a tender most of the time when not ridden still only lasted < 1 yr.

Thanks for reply...     

Edited by howie333

• 1 month later...

Batteries whether AGM, Gell or standard lead acid do not like to be on a tender all the time. Charge them once per month or less.  These types of batteries will sulfate over time. Being on a trickle charge will accelerate that process.

AGM batteries seem to last a bit longer than Gell. Some other things to make sure  you are using a standard battery for your motorcycle and not a deep cycle. Deep cycles are designed to go low , however do not do well in a standard charge system like a motorcycle or car.  This constant charge cycle will kill a deep cycle quickly.

I was out on the fence on lithium batteries when looking for a battery for my Fj. There are a lot out there and many do not have the circuit that prevents overcharging and exploding. You will pay more for this safety device and it is recommended that your battery have it. I would not buy a lithium battery without this safety device. Since you are sitting on top of the battery.  A budget lithium battery might say it has one. My question is -  if it does ,where was it made? Answer - most likely China. Like many things coming out of China there is a percentage of error that somethings will fail and eventually do. Don't skimp on the safety device.

I went with AGM battery  from Batteries plus as I have  had good experiences with their batteries

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Brentinpdx said:

Batteries whether AGM, Gell or standard lead acid do not like to be on a tender all the time. Charge them once per month or less.  These types of batteries will sulfate over time. Being on a trickle charge will accelerate that process.

With respect, I believe that that statement needs to be qualified with - that depends on the type and quality of the tender/charger being used.

e.g. I've been using CTEK MXS 5.0 (12V/5A) chargers on a number of batteries around my house including an emergency generator, one car that gets light use and my Tracer that I connect to whenever I'm not on it and have had zero issues with any of those batteries. 

Absolutely brilliant chargers that are microprocessor controlled and temperature compensated.  In fact I'd go as far to say that these chargers have conditioned and given the batteries that they're connected to an even longer life than I would have expected from them.

This charger has an eight step microprocessor controlled charging cycle that starts with a desulphation step and ends in a maintenance step where it, as the name suggests, maintains the battery via what they describe as - "Patented Float/Pulse maintenance makes the MXS 5.0 ideal for long-term maintenance".

"STEP 8 PULSE, MAINTENANCE CHARGING Maintaining the battery at 95–100 % capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged."

image.thumb.png.037af10adf49c5c4773ea2681807a0a3.png

This product delivers on their promise as the proof has been well and truly tested in my own personal experience with several of them where, in the case of the emergency generator, the charger is permanently connected and the battery has been good to go for over five years now - (generator is tested twice yearly).

I would agree with your statement if someone was to use a 'dumb' trickle charger for long periods on any battery then yes, asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I have been leaving my batteries on a maintainer all winter long for decades and have never had a single battery related issue on any of my bikes.  Perfectly safe to do this with a quality battery maintainer which uses dedicated software.

As mentioned earlier, the CTEK 5.0 is about as good as it gets.  I use one of these on a car I own that sits through the winter, and it works very well.  I have used Deltran Battery Tenders on my motorcycles for decades.  If anything ever happens to the Deltrans, they will get replaced with a CTEK 5.0.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have been leaving my batteries on a maintainer all winter long for decades and have never had a single battery related issue on any of my bikes.  Perfectly safe to do this with a quality battery maintainer which uses dedicated software.

There are a lot of people that say this and while a good quality battery tender is fine to leave on all year, my experience has been even though they have software that keeps them from overcharging my batteries have failed closer to every 3 to 4 years rather than 4 to 5 years when I put them on a tender every few weeks then pull it off.

YMMV, just giving my experience over the past 10 years or so since I stopped pulling batteries for storage. 

Edited by miweber929
Spelling and clarity
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have one battery maintainer for two bikes. I switch back and forth so each battery gets about 3 days at at a time a few times a month. I keep meaning to get a multi bank tender to cover car and bike batteries etc., so the search is on.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have been leaving my batteries on a maintainer all winter long for decades and have never had a single battery related issue...

Same experience here. My bike is on a TecMate Otimate 3+ maintainer for solid 3m each winter. I pull the main fuse and leave the battery on the bike. 2015 OE battery going the distance. Now that I said it... I should be looking for a replacement. 😐

Edited by piotrek
  • Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, piotrek said:

2015 OE battery going the distance. Now that I said it... I should be looking for a replacement. 😐

My 2015 OE battery is still in use as well. I’m not going to take the chance and push my luck though, I have a replacement ready to install. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 9:21 PM, howie333 said:

Bike won't start up. turns over continually fine and sounds like engine is about to start, but when start switch is released. nothing. Then  battery is reading @ 11.9 volts. When battery is charged, I meter @ 12.4 volts and will start right up and if I shut off and start up several times in a row; problem  of not starting will repeat. I get 14.8 volts when running . Battery replaced less than a year ago. Bike is kept inside and occasionally put on battery tender if bike is down for more than a couple of weeks.  

Anyone have this problem; and If so, please help

Thank You...

Just had this happen this morning it would start right up let go of starter then it dies.  Tried a few things with throttle same thing.  Shut off key turn back on ran fine.  I chalked it up to not having key turned to on all the way. ( it is tucked down there not easiest to get to.  If it does it again I will replace ignition switch.

• 2 months later...

My '17 has done this also a few times this past summer.  IMO I dont think its the ignition switch, I know 100% my key was full on.  I tried to establish a pattern because sometimes I do have it on a tender and sometimes I do not.  I went back and forth with monitoring it on the tender and not, and it would not repeat itself either way.  It hasn't done it now in the last several starts and I'm still on the same battery.  It's weird.

5 hours ago, DT675 said:

My '17 has done this also a few times this past summer.  IMO I dont think its the ignition switch, I know 100% my key was full on.  I tried to establish a pattern because sometimes I do have it on a tender and sometimes I do not.  I went back and forth with monitoring it on the tender and not, and it would not repeat itself either way.  It hasn't done it now in the last several starts and I'm still on the same battery.  It's weird.

Well; It was the battery. It was a non yuasa battery, I ended up buying a yuasa equivalent, more $, same company. It's been almost a year and so far so good. They told me the chinese battery I 1st ordered should have lasted much longer, but I guess more$ means your getting quality, probably made in Taiwan/Japan.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, howie333 said:

Well; It was the battery. It was a non yuasa battery, I ended up buying a yuasa equivalent, more $, same company. It's been almost a year and so far so good. They told me the chinese battery I 1st ordered should have lasted much longer, but I guess more$ means your getting quality, probably made in Taiwan/Japan.  

At times I've been tempted by the $30 batteries on Amazon but after reading so many battery related issues on different motorcycle forums, I always stick with a factory Yausa battery.  Even at $180+, for me its worth it for peace of mind.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, howie333 said:

Good to know, I'll check what battery mine has in it.  Thanks.