Did someone take a Grom and pump it full of some weird " Hulk/ Super soldier" fluid?

Larz

• Supporting Member

Sounds like someone is VERY happy with their new toy 😁

Sooo, that much better than your GT eh.  Interesting observation.  I'm intrigued now.  Looking forward to further posts of your impressions. 👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my eye on an MT09.  I love my 21 Tracer GT.  I don't need a "tourer" configuration, but rather a strong bike for navigating the highways around here, especially those between the lanes.  I'm thinking of selling my Tracer and buying a MT09.  Love this motor!

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I don't need a "tourer" configuration, but rather a strong bike for navigating the highways around here, especially those between the lanes.

It’s interesting to look back at the evolution of the CP3 lineup:   I bought my FJ as a slightly more responsible/practical version of the FZ9.   It was a bit rough around the edges, but a fun hooligan/sport/tour package to build upon.   Oddly, as the generations have become more refined & sophisticated (900 GT; the stunning new T9) they actually appeal to me less.   Great bikes, well targeted to their market, but just not for me.  

I would also seriously consider the new-gen MT09 as a replacement for the old faithful FJ09, if the day ever comes… 

• Thumbsup 6

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

It’s interesting to look back at the evolution of the CP3 lineup:   I bought my FJ as a slightly more responsible/practical version of the FZ9.   It was a bit rough around the edges, but a fun hooligan/sport/tour package to build upon.   Oddly, as the generations have become more refined & sophisticated (900 GT; the stunning new T9) they actually appeal to me less.   Great bikes, well targeted to their market, but just not for me.  

I would also seriously consider the new-gen MT09 as a replacement for the old faithful FJ09, if the day ever comes… 

This in its entirety.

• Thumbsup 2

The  Hulked out Grom in the stable. She-hulk? Nooo.... if the Tracer is a hot fit Milf who does Yoga, the Gen 3 MT-09 SP is her really hot college age daughter who's into Martial Arts as well as Yoga....

image.thumb.jpeg.251fadb6b95bd4f715d1540a242f5e04.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some early impressions from a few hundered miles:

Wow, what a difference losing 60lbs, 2.5 inches off the swingarm, a gallon off the gas tank, shorter tail section and being all "nekkid" makes in how a bike feels. The grom joke has some basis in reality when comparing this sled to my Tracer. It's almost disconcerting, but in a good, this is "raw" (🙄) motorcycling kinda way.

The engine: rain and the holidays have prevented me from getting her to the magical 600 mile mark yet; however- keeping her between 3-5K RPM and we are on the freeway at 80 mph, carving some canyon at a decent pace and feeling relatively comfortable with the power around town. Given that this nowhere near the powerband, anticipate some serious fun factor after the break-in.

The tranny: yes! We be rowing thru the gears right now, very slick and the quickshifter is flawless. 

The suspension: very taut and well sorted. Have the same Ohlins shock on the Tracer, took around 5K miles to break in the spring, on this light of a bike, it's a bit stiff right now. The KYB fork feels much better than expected, maybe won't have to do anything but set-up this package for my weight/style. Possibly re-spring the fork if I get any tubbier....

The electronics: display is a bit small, but no problem reading it at speed. Man, there is a whole lot of menu available Same old right-hand thumbwheel....

The seat: actually feels better than the Tracer's, better foam maybe. The fake suede cover is great, very grippy, I like that.

Overall, it's a Naked sport bike with a more standard UJM rider triangle. There is no "Tour" here beyond the cruise control that comes on the SP.

• Thumbsup 5

On 1/2/2023 at 11:36 PM, dazzler24 said:

Sounds like someone is VERY happy with their new toy 😁

Sooo, that much better than your GT eh.  Interesting observation.  I'm intrigued now.  Looking forward to further posts of your impressions. 👍

Yeah, even not broke in yet, as far as straight up riding and everything is just that much better sorted. Think it's love at first ride ( actually first sight, went to look at a 9GT, saw the MT-09 Sp on the floor- little voice in the back of me brain whispered: " that's the bike you should buy").

On 1/3/2023 at 8:56 AM, kingfisher said:

That new engine is a peach! I was wondering what you thought of it and that great suspension, frame, etc. It looks great; that flyscreen goes well with it.

Yes, it's stronger, my 900 was not this strong during the break-in, and that's taking weight into account. The fueling is as good as my flashed 900; seems like Mama Yama might be getting that right finally. Well it's totally apples to oranges on suspension and chassis between the 2 bikes, words are inadequate to describe the visceral difference, but Grom on steriods vs adult sized bike is as close as I can come. 

On 1/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, KrustyKush said:

Got my eye on an MT09.  I love my 21 Tracer GT.  I don't need a "tourer" configuration, but rather a strong bike for navigating the highways around here, especially those between the lanes.  I'm thinking of selling my Tracer and buying a MT09.  Love this motor!

Yeah bro, I feel you. What you are like in your 70's and have a Wing? Dude, get an MT-09, it will take you back to your youth, carve up that SoCal traffic like a hot knife thru butter and put a smile on your face every time you ride a piece of twisty tarmac.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, texscottyd said:

Well said. I love my Tracer, it is a great bike! However, I've always felt like she was a hair long, in terms of the wheel base, for really tight technical stuff. Not so the MT-09, which I believe has the same wheel base as the FJ and FZ. Oh and the lowered steering head, which folks have been doing at home to their FJs and FZs for years now ( why did it take so long for the Mothership to do that from the factory, one wonders?). I've thought for a while now that was the main reason a lot of seasoned FJ riders did not upgrade to the Tracer, a little loss in agility in service of a more composed freeway ( Autobahn?) experience.

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Larz you are really selling it!  And I'm being sucked in.  I keep coming back to this post in anticipation of more juicy news. 🙂

Seating position on the new 'grom' compared to your Tracer - how would you describe it - same, similar  or more sports style with a forward wrist lean?  I'm not keen on any sports tuck on any bike these days.

(Later) - Gotta say it looks like a fairly upright position after looking at some advertising guff.

• Haha 1

I look forward to your impressions after the break-in has passed. During the break-in period, I’d approach the 7,000 rpm mark and think that this is impressive, and different from before. Afterwards, when setting it free and accelerating hard to redline, I was amazed at how strong the new engine is. The older triple was great, but had a fairly linear power output. The 890 cc version is stronger in the lower and mid range to a degree, but has a killer top end from 7,000 rpm up. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbsup 3

10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Larz you are really selling it!  And I'm being sucked in.  I keep coming back to this post in anticipation of more juicy news. 🙂

Seating position on the new 'grom' compared to your Tracer - how would you describe it - same, similar  or more sports style with a forward wrist lean?  I'm not keen on any sports tuck on any bike these days.

(Later) - Gotta say it looks like a fairly upright position after looking at some advertising guff.

I think I've earned a gift card or discount on a YES plan from the Mothership🤠😁🤣

Yes it's virtually the same rider position as the FJ/Tracer/ 9GT. I put 3/4" handlebar riser extensions on the Tracer right away. Want to do the same to the "Grom"....although the eliphant in the room amongst all this happy talk is wind blast,eh. So you folks down in Oz get the same "Dark side of Japan" advert jazz on the MTs?

6 hours ago, kingfisher said:

I look forward to your impressions after the break-in has passed. During the break-in period, I’d approach the 7,000 rpm mark and think that this is impressive, and different from before. Afterwards, when setting it free and accelerating hard to redline, I was amazed at how strong the new engine is. The older triple was great, but had a fairly linear power output. The 890 cc version is stronger in the lower and mid range to a degree, but has a killer top end from 7,000 rpm up. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Can't wait to wring her little neck out and bang into the rev limiter.  I will certainly update my impressions 👍

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Larz said:

I think I've earned a gift card or discount on a YES plan from the Mothership🤠😁🤣

Yes it's virtually the same rider position as the FJ/Tracer/ 9GT. I put 3/4" handlebar riser extensions on the Tracer right away. Want to do the same to the "Grom"....although the eliphant in the room amongst all this happy talk is wind blast,eh. So you folks down in Oz get the same "Dark side of Japan" advert jazz on the MTs?

Can't wait to wring her little neck out and bang into the rev limiter.  I will certainly update my impressions 👍

Thanks for that info.  I too have put risers on my 'old girl' to find that sweet spot - I went up and back and hence the question.

I must admit I do like being 'out of the wind' on longer trips but I think I could live with it for all the good things that this new machine brings (by all accounts!)

And yes, down here the MT-10SP is "Speed of Darkness"; MT-10 is "The darkest energy"; MT-09SP is "Challenge the Darkness"; MT-09 gets "A new power from the darkness"; MT07 "Find your darkness" and the MT03 is a "Dark blast".

So yea, darkness all 'round really.  I was starting to think you could only ride them at night! 🙃 😉

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
On 1/5/2023 at 6:01 PM, Larz said:

The fueling is as good as my flashed 900; seems like Mama Yama might be getting that right finally. 

This is an interesting observation.  So not this issue from the 22 version?

5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

This is an interesting observation.  So not this issue from the 22 version?

meh, who is this youtube cowboy? I'll standby my comment, it's feel as good as my flashed 2019 Gen 2 Tracer. Which isn't perfect, but what is? Light years better than the fueling on a stock Gen 1 ... and I've ridden with kids on their FZ-09s, they seemed to have no problem riding very tight technical stuff faster than me, despite the infamous "snatchy throttle". I didn't think it was all that bad on my bike before the getting the ECU flashed, not once I got used to it. There are some weird restrictions on the Gen 3 in terms of RPM and speed though that I think I noticed a bit yesterday. According to some "gurus" that's the big reason now to get the new bikes flashed.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1