Did someone take a Grom and pump it full of some weird " Hulk/ Super soldier" fluid?

Larz

At the 6 minute mark. Just to be clear I'm in no way advocating for that guy in the vid. Just picked that one because he uses a big display so you can see the tables he's talking about. Nothing special about his flash, looks like another one-size- fits-all canned flash. And Lord knows what possesed him to put that ugly-assed Spanish pipe on the bike and publish it on Youtube 😬

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 2:21 AM, dazzler24 said:

This is an interesting observation.  So not this issue from the 22 version?

I have to admit too changing my opinion regarding throttle snatchiness now that more miles are on the bike with a bit serious canyon carving in the mix.  The Gen 3 is better than I remember my stock Tracer being, but not as smooth as it is with the flash. Not particularly noticable if there's no obstructing traffic and one can maintain a good clip, but rather pronounced ar low speed/ gear transitions. There's also a noticable flat spot right off 5k rpm, if one is gently opening the throttle. I guess a flash is in the cards for this bike. 

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, Larz said:

I have to admit too changing my opinion regarding throttle snatchiness now that more miles are on the bike with a bit serious canyon carving in the mix.  The Gen 3 is better than I remember my stock Tracer being, but not as smooth as it is with the flash. Not particularly noticable if there's no obstructing traffic and one can maintain a good clip, but rather pronounced ar low speed/ gear transitions. There's also a noticable flat spot right off 5k rpm, if one is gently opening the throttle. I guess a flash is in the cards for this bike. 

Thanks for the honesty and the feedback.  Looking forward to further observations post flash. 👍

14 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks for the honesty and the feedback.  Looking forward to further observations post flash. 👍

I’d also be curious…. @Larz
question though: have you experienced this characteristic in all drive modes? If you’re not sure, it might be worth trying each one to see if it’s more/less pronounced depending on the selected mode. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, skipperT said:

I’d also be curious…. @Larz
question though: have you experienced this characteristic in all drive modes? If you’re not sure, it might be worth trying each one to see if it’s more/less pronounced depending on the selected mode. 

-Skip

Hi Skipper,

I've tried mode 2 TC 2  in  a canyon enviroment and thought it might have felt a hair smoother, but not significantly. On Ivan's flash, my Tracer's 1 &2 modes feel very close power wise with mode 2 being significantly smoother/snatch free. Sport riding in mode 3 doesn't appeal to me. on either bike.

The flat spot off 5k rpm isn't there in 3&4; i'll have to try 2 some more to say.

Speaking of say, say what's up with the throttle tube on the '23 SP? Mine is markedly diffirent from the '21 and '22s: I've tried fitting both OEM option heated grip kit for the standard '21 and '22 MT-09, which allows standard throttle control minus the CC cancel, and the OEM replacement grips for '21-'22 9GT and neither came close to working. Read about some recalls due to throtlle grip failure when picking the bike up off it's side. Is the '23 9GT and MT-09SP throttle tube a redesign, or is mine a freak?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, Larz said:

Speaking of say, say what's up with the throttle tube on the '23 SP? Mine is markedly diffirent from the '21 and '22s: I've tried fitting both OEM option heated grip kit for the standard '21 and '22 MT-09, which allows standard throttle control minus the CC cancel, and the OEM replacement grips for '21-'22 9GT and neither came close to working. Read about some recalls due to throtlle grip failure when picking the bike up off it's side. Is the '23 9GT and MT-09SP throttle tube a redesign, or is mine a freak?

4 hours ago, skipperT said:

Interesting observation, I honestly have no idea but will investigate. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yamaha updated the design to strengthen the Fly-by system even more …

-S

Didn’t the throttle grip and housing get changed with the latest fly-by-wire?  I believe the throttle sensor is part of the grip now. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, betoney said:

Didn’t the throttle grip and housing get changed with the latest fly-by-wire?  I believe the throttle sensor is part of the grip now. 

Since the '21 model, yes. However on my '23, it is the plastic tube and the cam lobe interface that is apparently changed from '21-22 models. This is just on the SP & 9GT, I believe.

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Hope you are ripping that engine to it's full potential by now? I have a thing for the MT-10, don't need but damn do I want!!

Just got enough miles on her to start exploring the powerband. Have to wait for the 1st oil change to find the rev limiter. Two weeks in the Philipines delayed breaking in the bike.

MT-10, man you gotta get the SP version with semi-active Ohlins on both ends,eh. I dunno, fast bike but not as fast in the tight twisty stuff as the -09. Catch up right quick on the straight aways though.

PXL_20230119_053350006_2.jpg

PXL_20230121_033001621.jpg

original_1cf1272b-1a77-4ccb-b0be-c04a85e4f6d5_PXL_20230121_044713428.jpg

PXL_20230121_044421011_2.jpg

rainbow.jpg

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Okey Dokey, made the "magic" 600 mile mark, changed the oil and cleaned/adjusted the chain. Found the rev limiter right around 10k rpm ( sketchy the way the bar tach displays the upper rev range). She do have some good "giddy up girl" above 7k rpm, but I am working on very fine throttle control to limit the amount of unintended wheelies. Had a blast on the freeway coming back from the canyons today. Kid on a CBR up ahead, so I gave her some beans to catch up and pass him- hit an indicated 115 mph, not bad but the front end starting to feel a little frisky. Of course he had to catch up, gave me the high sign, think he liked the bike. We weaved through the traffic at a little better than triple digits for a bit. Good times, love this bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2