Strong smell of partially burned petrol after bike is parked

3 hours ago, Boat said:

Let us know what they find.  I have had a slight gas smell in mine (CA model) sometimes.  It seems to come from the gas cap area and is never really that strong, but is noticeable...

I just attributed it to normal off gassing ventilation...

Will do.

The smell is not coming from the gas cap area and it’s not like plain gasoline. It’s partially burnt  fuel smell and not real exhaust smell, which should not smell like gasoline at all. 

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

My stock MY 19 Tracer has a strong smell after a run as well. It is more like a hot oil smell rather than fuel and I see no leaks and the bike runs fine. Its parked in a garage  and I think that the cooling engine just creates the smell.

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

We’ll see what the mechanics at the dealership say. All I know is that they’re planning to charge me $190 just for the diagnostics and inspection.

Quick question before taking it to the dealership and spending money, when you finish your ride do you pull it straight into the garage when its hot?  I'm just curious if you would smell the same smells if you left it parked in the driveway in fresh air until it cools down before pulling it in the garage.  As a habit, I have always done that and never had any concerning smells.  Its an easy self-check that doesn't cost you a penny.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Quick question before taking it to the dealership and spending money, when you finish your ride do you pull it straight into the garage when its hot?  I'm just curious if you would smell the same smells if you left it parked in the driveway in fresh air until it cools down before pulling it in the garage.  As a habit, I have always done that and never had any concerning smells.  Its an easy self-check that doesn't cost you a penny.

Hehehe ... it is in the dealership as we speak ... been there since Saturday. Thanks for the thought though.

Yes, I drive straight into the garage without so much as a pause on the driveway. 🙂 Automatic first mod on any bike I keep for longer than 5 minutes is a garage door opener, which is activated from the road as I approach my house. (As an aside, using that technique I can gauge the health of my GDO battery ... the weaker the battery the close I get before the door starts to open)

Mine cools down in the garage. As for the smells ... I am familiar with the different smells coming from my hot engines, e.g. just washed smell, wiped off oil on the exhaust pipe smell after an oil change, clean engine pure exhaust smell when fuel mixture is right, and now this smell. The last one is unacceptable. Pretty much like riding behind Harleys, and for the same reason. 😁

• Thumbsup 1

I do the same with my 2021 Tracer... pull directly into the garage, and typically spend a little while disrobing from the ride, and then fiddling with this or that before going into the house.  I have never smelled strong odors from this bike after a run.  But I have smelled it on other bikes I've owned.  As I recall, these were carbureted motors that had been "re-jetted" to richen the mixture away from the factory lean setting.  Mainly because of word-of-mouth theories about how the manufacturers set the carbs way lean to meet emissions standards, which caused various operational problems, such as hot engine temps, etc.  

• Thumbsup 1

I had an odd odor from my bike after I switched to GL-5 gear oil to lube the chain. I wasn't getting the chain wiped down good enough after application and it would fling off the excess at the countershaft area and run down onto the exhaust.

Hope you get yours sorted.

• Thumbsup 1

Picked the bike up from the dealer and paid them $187 for them to tell me the following (which are the technician’s actual notes). At least they said that the bike had no history of codes, and has no codes presently. So I’m none the wiser, but they do note that it smells. Can’t see spark plugs solving the problem but hey they’re cheap and I can do it, one of these days  

Resolution:test drove unit and there is a smell of un burnt gas cannot visually see any leaks and vents are dry and gas tank lid is seal no other means of gas to leak.
called yamaha and they say to check the lid and 2 vents and if all are correct that they cannot say anything is actually wrong with the unit since there is no signs of a leak and no codes and bike is running as intended.

could possibly be spark plugs when did unit get serviced last?

17 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Stop smelling when you get home. Or, whiff a clove of garlic. After awhile we obsess about tiny things. This may be one of those.

Or I could sell the bike and get rid of the smell … 😏

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Stop smelling when you get home. Or, whiff a clove of garlic. After awhile we obsess about tiny things. This may be one of those.

Goats’ great sense of smell also plays an important role in social activities. The damp skin on their noses and inside their nostrils has many more sensors than humans have. Moreover, they navigate a sensory world that is hard for us to imagine, guided by messages left behind in odor form.

🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

Goats’ great sense of smell also plays an important role in social activities. The damp skin on their noses and inside their nostrils has many more sensors than humans have. Moreover, they navigate a sensory world that is hard for us to imagine, guided by messages left behind in odor form.

🤣

I do have a keen sense of smell and it must compensate for my less than ideal eyesight. 😁

That said, I have never liked smelly exhausts on cars, bikes, anything with a catalytic converter that should be stinking up the place. Yes, I can tolerate the smell in my garage, given that the fuel economy of the bike is acceptable. But why should I have to accept it?

I mean the Tracer lives right next to its stablemate the much older RS which has no appreciable smell from the exhaust when ridden in and parked. That bike has 5x the miles on the clock and a much larger engine, and if left too long without being ridden may start with a bit of smoke as the oil accumulated in the left cylinder is burned off, but no smell. The S1000R I had before it had no similar smell either as did my bike before them all in this country, a Honda CBR500R. So, I'd like to think that maybe something is slightly off, and I don't yet know what it is.

Now funnily enough, on the way home I filled it up with gas and after parking it the smell is not as bad as before, for some strange reason ... probably purely coincidental. Mind you, the smell seems to have gotten worse in recent months too.

I will update the thread if/when I actually see a change.

• Thumbsup 1

Once in awhile I'd get lazy and not use a funnel when pouring oil into my R1100, K75, and F800. Invariably some oil got somewhere on exhaust or cat. Of course the funnel would save time but "this time" I'll not spill. SURE, RIGHT. Good luck solving the stink. I know it gets irritating.

• Thumbsup 2