GPS Installation

Suu Kyi

Hi, a very Happy New Year to you all. Getting myself a Garmin Zumo XT GPS to save getting lost or stopping to check the phone for directions. Looks like I have two two options for power; use the existing auxiliary power outlet and a USB adaptor into the back of the Zumo (will that work?) or hard wire it into the spare auxiliary behind the dash. Option one will be quick and easy and the rig will be removable, but will that be ok and will that outlet be able to handle the current draw? Option two means taking off the screen, plate and cowling behind the screen to gain access to the spare cable but that would also mean joining the cable and soldering with shrink tubing etc for the twin plugs. Anyone have experience with this and what option would you recommend? Thanks.    

I assume the Zumo has a cradle.

Much better solution is to hard wire it. The connectors for the spare aux power are easily available and the removal of the screen and cowl are really easy.  1 hour job even if your really slow.

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks, leaning towards hard wiring using the provided additional auxiliary cables, may talk to the dealer for some additional advice and perhaps even scrounge some bits off them plus get a quote for them to install should I lose my nerve/patience etc. 

3 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Hi, a very Happy New Year to you all. Getting myself a Garmin Zumo XT GPS to save getting lost or stopping to check the phone for directions.

Anyone have experience with this and what option would you recommend? Thanks.    

Option 2 - Hardwired.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member

FWIW and JIK you need yet another recommendation - hard wired is the way to go IMHO. 👍

P.S. Have you thought about protecting your base plate from the elements when the XT is not attached?  I know that there is the little rubber boot that comes with it but I found it to be fiddly at best and it tends to blow around in the wind when not attached.  At least that was my experience.

I 3D printed and use this cover which I think looks pretty good IMHO and it keeps the elements right out as well as giving the base plate a 'finished' look when not being used.  It utilises the clip mechanism to hold it in place.

Quick and simple to clip on and off as required and keeps fingers away from those delicate spring loaded contact pins.

Enjoy your XT. 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.d4b9007ee04566eb223ad052e31fb551.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72a3320852627f109c11848f3215212e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69b7e9cecb0d4a6bef61e343db66c56f.jpeg

image.thumb.png.3d73fecb2a5ed4b8dcab0be933f6efc5.png

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Hardwire back to the battery.......

That's what I did, too.  It's the fastest and easiest setup, the only drawbacks being contending with the ring connectors on the battery terminals when it comes time to remove / install the battery, and the connection isn't keyed to the ignition.  It's good enough for me:  I shut the Garmin off and/or just remove it when stopped, anyway.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 1/11/2023 at 11:24 AM, Suu Kyi said:

use the existing auxiliary power outlet and a USB adaptor into the back of the Zumo (will that work?)

Yes but. Don't go for that option, it will work but when I tried it the connection would always work and vibrate loose. as most have suggested wire it into one of the spare connections behind the display. 

• Thumbsup 1

Bought my Tracer over 2,000 miles from home.  Mounted the Garmin and used a plug from AutoZone to plug into the outlet on the left of the dash.  It worked fine with no issues - plug was pretty tough to pull out so a tight fit and no issues with it vibrating loose.  After I got home i hard wired it to the power connector behind the windscreen.  That has worked very well.  I've had the Zumo for over 3 years and tow bikes.  Last trip the power connector on the base broke.  I was able to use a USB cord and a USB power adapter to keep it going.  LOL I always cary a USB outlet adapter in my tank bag for just such a situation.  However had cleaned it out just before I left and didn't get the adapter in the tank bag!  Bought one at a gas station.  Would have been interesting getting back to were I was staying in Calgary.

Speaking of failures I added a tether strap to the back of the Garmin and loop it around the bar and fasten with a small carabiner.  Used a camera tether by Nordic Flash that I got from Amazon.  It has saved my Zumo XT not one but twice!  I always pull it off when stopping and on a long trip it get mounted and unmounted many times.  

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Speaking of failures I added a tether strap to the back of the Garmin and loop it around the bar and fasten with a small carabiner.  Used a camera tether by Nordic Flash that I got from Amazon.  It has saved my Zumo XT not one but twice!  I always pull it off when stopping and on a long trip it get mounted and unmounted many times.  

This has always been a worry for me.  So much so that when I insert the device into its cradle, and on every occasion, I always use both index fingers to apply upward pressure to the locking tab while pushing the device home with my thumbs to (hopefully) ensure that it is locked in solidly.    I do feel that the tab has a smidge more of movement left to fully seat home into the locking slot of the XT when doing this.

Then I give the GPS a good tug in all directions to make sure that it's mounted and it has always felt solid but...  I'm always left with a niggling doubt as to its security. 🤔

Maybe a tether would put my mind to rest.  It's a shame that a lanyard point wasn't integrated into the device in the first place.