All I've Got is the Ownership

Brock

Though that's pretty thrilling so far.

I've been thinking a Tracer 900 would be my next bike since they came out. The first thing to catch my eye was the weight (light) and the price (reasonable). By 2019 I was pretty much ready to get one but then the covid experience cut annual mileage down and my Beemer kept on running strong.

A friend in Ontario bought one three years ago and last fall while spending an overnight at his place he said 'Why don't you take mine out for a spin in the morning'. The spin was a 30 mile romp around a beautiful loop road near Bancroft ON. Between riding a new bike for the first time, not wanting to hurt a friend's pride and joy, and the roads still holding some morning dew under the trees, I came no where near thrashing it though it was the power that left the biggest impression.

After the January 6th bike show in Toronto and nearly buying a new red 2022, I called other dealers and found a new silver 2021. I liked the colour better, the bikes are identical as far as I can tell, and a bit over $3k less on the price convinced me, I signed the papers Saturday and am now an owner without a bike. It'll be long wait to mid-March.

So that's the story.

As for me I've been riding since I was 15. This is my third Yamaha. My first bike was a '64 YA-6 125cc and a 79 XS1100 filled the shed for nearly 18 years. Spanish (Bultaco Metralla Mk2) and Brit (Norton, Triumph, BSA) bikes filled my youth along with a 75 Water Buffalo and a '77 R100/7. The BMW R1100RT I bought in the spring of 2000 now is nearly 23 years old and has over 350K kms on it. While it's running great, the clutch spines failed at 160k and it's well over double that now. The clock is ticking and I'm not comfortable heading out on a long (to the coasts) trip any more. It's time for the new ride.

I used to race with the VRRA and am currently active with the CVMG in Canada. They're great folks and support a vibrant vintage scene. My shed is mostly full of older (60's) bikes and the Tracer won't be a lonely triple, I'll park it next to my '69 Rocket Three. Most of my riding is touring, the twistier the route the better.

I've spent some time on this forum and it seems like a great resource for tech and accessory information, not to mention camaraderie. I look forward to participating once I've actually got the bike in hand.

Maybe there will be a warm week in February.

Cheers,

Brock

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 4

• Supporting Member

Those are some interesting rides, and it sounds like you take great care of all of them.

Welcome to the forum!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Sorry for your cold weather, but welcome to the Forum!

I also have a 21 Tracer 9 GT.  Lately, I have been toying with the idea of selling it and getting an MT09, but every time I take the Tracer out, I trend away from selling it.  Same motor, sits higher, has panniers, heated grips... lots to like.  

Thanks for the welcome.

Perhaps better as a separate thread but as I haven't picked the bike up yet, does anyone know of any pitfalls I might look for with the dealer prep?

Cheers,

B

Welcome.

Hefty mileage on your BMW ... good for you.  I'm sure the Tracer will be up to the task.

Best of luck with the warm day in February.  I'm just north of the 518 ... too much snow/ice for motorcycles, not enough snow/ice for sledding.  😒

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Welcome that's some serious mileage on the RT! 

I'll combine your history with Brit bikes and XS bikes, and say that my first "big" bike was the gorgeous Brit Bike impersonator XS650SH.  

Looking forward to your stories on the Tracer and coast rides!

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
On 1/11/2023 at 9:09 PM, Brock said:

After the January 6th bike show in Toronto and nearly buying a new red 2022, I called other dealers and found a new silver 2021.

Welcome to the forum. Yeah, the red one at the show got a bit of attention, and I think it was listed at CAD $19K IIRC.

Enjoy your new bike.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Sounds like you have a similar background as me and getting up in age too

I'm surprised you didn't mention when you were riding the tracer how your RT felt like a slug particularly in terms of weight even though it's down low

It's great you have room for all your vehicles

I've never Had since I moved here Room for more than 3 bikes

Back in the day when I played with Brit bikes every day Being they were smaller and lighter I had room for 5 plus a couple of side hacks

San Diego was God's country for Britt bikes particularly AJS and Matchless, of course San Diego County has super riding too

Please post some photos of your mighty steeds Us old guys love that stuff

Again, thanks for all your thoughts. I felt I'd been privileged with the community on BMWSportTouring with the RT and this forum seems just as solid.

To 'Heavy': I ran the 518 and area roads twice this year. I'm a bit jealous that I don't live up there but it's close enough to visit. In May I host a small vintage event in Maple Ontario. Please consider yourself invited. It'll be posted on the CVMG.ca website.

To 'Maximo': When I first saw the XS650 I was 19, running my Bultaco Metralla Mk2. The Yamaha made a similar impression as the first CB750 I saw on the road. I've never had a chance to ride the 650 on the street but did in the VRRA endurance races for a couple of years.

To '2and3cylinders': I had to laugh about your comment about the RT's power compared to the Yamaha. As it happened, on the ride home on the RT that day I thought to myself 'Am I the boiled frog, not noticing the power going down over the years?'. It wasn't the years, the Tracer is really fast! I know it's not a liter class sport-bike but it's a revelation for me. I think the word intimidating came to mind on my first ride. I'll get over that.

As for age and background, I had my 70th over a year ago. Background is harder. Highlights would be elevator mechanic, custom painter, software developer and retired old guy. Around 1970 I dove into British bikes until a particularly perfidious Norton Fastback drove me to Japanese (Water Buffalo) machinery. There's lots of other stuff better reserved for over a beer/meal.

No comment on the California roads. I've made it down there three times and it's been a stellar experience each time.

Cheers,

Brock