Cruise Control

japon

o.k. so I haven't got one yet but will in the not too distant future. This bike is one I'm really looking forward to. my question is  - is anyone using an aftermarket cruise control on this bike. If so, which one and how effective/easy to use has it been?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I know that someone has started a project of installing Cruise Control for this bike using the AP900c from brandondist.com. At least they questioned it on our install thread for the KTM 1190adv (also 1290 SDR). I was unable to find the thread with a search however.

I have the CC on my 1190adv and it works fine. I choose to use the Trail Tech vector switch (3 button). Hope you have someone here to get it started, they will need to find/identify the VSS (speed), brake light, and clutch wires.  Contact joe@brandondist.com, he was able to get this info from OBDII port on the KTM, but before he figured this out, others tapped into the wires, including the FI harness. They now have proper plugins for FI and ODBII plus the trail Tech switch.

Hope you have someone qualified to chase this down. Good luck.

DSCF1744-L.jpg

• Premium Member
Hope you have someone here to get it started, they will need to find/identify the VSS (speed), brake light, and clutch wires.  Contact joe@brandondist.com, he was able to get this info from OBDII port on the KTM, but before he figured this out, others tapped into the wires, including the FI harness. They now have proper plugins for FI and ODBII plus the trail Tech switch. 

DSCF1744-L.jpg
Here are the VSS & Tach signal wires: http://fj-09.org/post/20602 
The brake signal is a little more complicated and detailed later in my thread.  Clutch wire was not used in my installation.

• Premium Member
Cool! You are on the right track then. 
The brake signal on the KTM is LED, so at first they thought it needed a relay to send to AP900c, but later found out otherwise.
Actually, it's finished.  The whole installation is detailed here.

You misunderstand me, I am talking about using the AP900c from brandondist.com which we have working on the KTM 1190. It will require the same wires most likely unless Joe (from joe@brandondist.com) figures out how to connect to the ODBII (if the FJ-09 has one). What I am saying, it took the KTM guys several months to work out the install and now kit is mostly plug and play. The sooner someone here gets this started on the FJ-09 the sooner it will be a plug n play kit maybe.

• Premium Member
You misunderstand me, I am talking about using the AP900c from brandondist.com which we have working on the KTM 1190. It will require the same wires most likely unless Joe (from joe@brandondist.com) figures out how to connect to the ODBII (if the FJ-09 has one). What I am saying, it took the KTM guys several months to work out the install and now kit is mostly plug and play. The sooner someone here gets this started on the FJ-09 the sooner it will be a plug n play kit maybe.
Interesting.  I'd never seen that system before.  There is a diagnostic port on the FJ, but I have no idea what data it carries.  Please keep us informed with any developments.

Interesting.  I'd never seen that system before.  There is a diagnostic port on the FJ, but I have no idea what data it carries.  Please keep us informed with any developments.

The port provides voltage, ground, and CAN hi and low.

No OBD II on any current motorcycles in the 'states.

-Skip

• Premium Member
I know that someone has started a project of installing Cruise Control for this bike using the AP900c from brandondist.com. At least they questioned it on our install thread for the KTM 1190adv (also 1290 SDR). I was unable to find the thread with a search however. 
I have the CC on my 1190adv and it works fine. I choose to use the Trail Tech vector switch (3 button). Hope you have someone here to get it started, they will need to find/identify the VSS (speed), brake light, and clutch wires.  Contact joe@brandondist.com, he was able to get this info from OBDII port on the KTM, but before he figured this out, others tapped into the wires, including the FI harness. They now have proper plugins for FI and ODBII plus the trail Tech switch.

DSCF1744-L.jpg

Thanks for posting! I think this is the thread your referring to.
http://www.adcreator.org/index.php?threads/who-wants-cruise-control-on-the-ktm-1190-adv-read-this.1038401/page-12

I've been reading through it for the last hour (still not done). From what I've read along with some great info from builderbob I think the AP900c is a viable +/- $300 cruise control option for the FJ 09.
I'm probably going to order this kit and offer up my FJ as a guinea pig. I'll update this thread with my findings.

• Premium Member
Update: I called Brandondist.com and spoke with Joe yesterday. He has already done some testing on the FJ 09 to gauge compatibility of the AP 900c system similar to what was designed for the KTMs in the above link. Sadly it seems that a completely plug and play set up will be unachievable. I can't remember exactly what the problem is but I think he said it was something about The CAN BUSS values having to much variance.

That being said the AP 900c will still work great on the FJ in an analog installation. This means wires will need to be tapped into for speed sensor, brake light, clutch/tach, etc. About 5 connections. The kit is about $325+ shipping and comes compete with the Trail Tech water proof switch pictured in tigerone's post above.

This cc unit has received rave reviews on the KTM forum posted above so I ordered the kit. Joe was really hoping I was local to his shop so we could do the install there however, San Diego is a long ride from Minnesota. Instead Joe said to call him as soon as the CC arrives and he'll talk me though the installation and set up. He has all the necessary wires mapped out. I will start a new thread in the how-to section with a step-by-step account including lots of pictures. I will place a link that thread here. Cheers

Archived