DRL/Blinkers combo

• Supporting Member

I recently had cause to change out my expensive YAMAHA DRL/indicators as one of the rear ones was faulty and not repairable.  I changed them all out for a set of STEDI brand sequential sweeping types but was concerned at the time that,  while they looked snazzy in operation, they may not be very visible on the road.

As it turned out my concerns were realized when I asked a friend to appraise them from his perspective while we were out on a bike run and his response were that they were very hard to see in operation (and he's a LEO).  As I now have a couple of spot DRLs on the front as well for maximum visibility, I needed to ensure that my indicators could be seen by other road users and not be lost in the 'glare' of the bright DRL spots.

So, from a safety perspective I went on the hunt for yet another DRL/indicator combo that was much more visible.

Enter the generic Chinese made MFC PROs from Amazon.  Fronts give me a white DRL that turn into an amber indicator when activated and likewise the rears are a red rear position lamp that go amber when indicating.

So far so good and they seem to be much more visible and don't look too bad on the bike as well (IMHO).

Before - STEDI indicators.

image.thumb.png.e1da26fd0ae5978d1a2da74b234a3e95.pngimage.png.a5c77c3e9f6240a22b27d19885f3d7b9.png

20230120_162358.thumb.jpg.0fb6ec3d1925ee5068f2849735d1602d.jpg

20230120_162650.thumb.jpg.21d2485958beba7d12211decf8bb2fd3.jpg

20230120_162709.thumb.jpg.c89e2c0cf2934a8fba8ca0ee16bbebfa.jpg

On a final note, I think that the intention of the advertising on the box got a little lost in translation. 🤔

20230121_115631.thumb.jpg.b8a176e6cfbbf824b5cd9ea5bb838aaa.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 2

Interesting stuff Dazz. 
I’ve looked at the Stedi as it’s now premium price gear and the blinkers were on my list. 
I did question the price of their top range 24” light bar for my 4x4 @ $890. WTF. 
My mate bought the 25w wide angle bike driving lights @$79 each
I bought a pair which I think are the exact same light as we pulled them apart to check for $40 a pair from Fleabay, and could not tell the difference riding at night. 
Good LED blinkers are hard to find from my own experimentation, many out there that people use that are seriously crap. 
I’ll wait for your report. 

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

Interesting stuff Dazz. 
I’ve looked at the Stedi as it’s now premium price gear and the blinkers were on my list. 
I did question the price of their top range 24” light bar for my 4x4 @ $890. WTF. 
My mate bought the 25w wide angle bike driving lights @$79 each
I bought a pair which I think are the exact same light as we pulled them apart to check for $40 a pair from Fleabay, and could not tell the difference riding at night. 
Good LED blinkers are hard to find from my own experimentation, many out there that people use that are seriously crap. 
I’ll wait for your report. 

Yes, I'm sure I've found the same STEDI indicators in generic form on the usual outlets at only a few dollars (like ~$10) so can only assume that the STEDI logo and unfortunately markup, has been applied to same.

The STEDI branded DRL spots I bought are quite good and very bright for a small light so I'm happy with them.  Are they also available from the generic outlets at reduced $$s?  Probably, but I'm happy to have bought 'locally'.

I too have used el cheapo indicators that have not really cut the mustard so I know what you mean when you say that there are many out there that are seriously crap.

I think that at least one other in here have/had these DRL/indicators that I now have and were happy with them but I will report what my riding buddies have to say compared with the STEDIs.

Cheers

• Supporting Member

@OZVFR - should have mentioned - and you probably are already aware - that the DRL/indicators need a third wire  for their operation here in Aus as we only have the two wires going to the indicators in front and back.

I have used one of the AUX connectors up front to supply the positive for the DRL function of the indicators in parallel with my DRL spots and tapped into the rear tail light to supply the power for the rear running light function of the indicators.

I believe that in some other countries the fronts, at least, are already wired for the DRL function - confirmation from our O/S comrades please?

Yes, I only have one auxiliary output left at the front as I’ve already used 2. 
One for my driving lights (relay on only), the other for my dual USB in my tank bag. 
Tried many LED blinkers on both my VFR and Sprint, went back to incandescent on both. Actually had better results with LED bulbs. 

• Supporting Member

We get three wires in the front, with a 7443 bulb. Two wires in the back (7440 I think). I think OZ and UK factory blinkers are slightly different size/shape, and the bulb sockets are also different.

I swapped out my factory amber lenses to clear, and installed amber-white switchback LEDs in the front. I bought a spare set, expecting mediocre quality, but the original set's been on there now since 2017.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

If anyone is interested in seriously stupid bright LED signals, check out X-Arc Lights

Not only are they ridiculously bright, they have options for wiring front DRL and rear red brake light and they are virtually indestructible,  CNC machined aluminum, no plastic mounts to break when you bump into them in the garage.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The X-Arc's look interesting but they can't supply (yet).  I've had very good success by just replacing bulbs with Superbrite LED bulbs......  asking for a friend, (North American w/front running lights), can anyone tell me what bulbs are in the signals front and back, that is, 7443 wedge base or 2057 type base, or ??

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Yes, I only have one auxiliary output left at the front as I’ve already used 2. 
One for my driving lights (relay on only), the other for my dual USB in my tank bag. 
Tried many LED blinkers on both my VFR and Sprint, went back to incandescent on both. Actually had better results with LED bulbs. 

Another option for the third wire for the DRL function is to tap into the 'parking' light wire (i.e. only on with the key) that can be easily accessed at the front here.....

image.thumb.png.2222e6ec9dce504d6893f4f3e9b24a8b.png

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, piotrek said:

We get three wires in the front, with a 7443 bulb. Two wires in the back (7440 I think). I think OZ and UK factory blinkers are slightly different size/shape, and the bulb sockets are also different.

I swapped out my factory amber lenses to clear, and installed amber-white switchback LEDs in the front. I bought a spare set, expecting mediocre quality, but the original set's been on there now since 2017.

This is how I wanted to go originally and put in switchback LEDS but as you've mentioned the sockets aren't compatible for us here in OZ so had to look further afield.

Thanks for confirming the difference.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

If anyone is interested in seriously stupid bright LED signals, check out X-Arc Lights

Not only are they ridiculously bright, they have options for wiring front DRL and rear red brake light and they are virtually indestructible,  CNC machined aluminum, no plastic mounts to break when you bump into them in the garage.

I have no doubt that these are excellent options brightness and durability wise but for me the big thing that put me off them (and those like them) are that they appear to be low profile and sit a bit too close to the machine.  i.e. the visibility of them for other road users at an intersection for example might be obscured.  The road users on the opposing side of the bike where the indicator is operating is what I mean.

At least an indicator on a stem gives those road users at the angle the chance of seeing them around the front of the bike.

Hope that all makes sense and as always YMMV.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

I have no doubt that these are excellent options brightness and durability wise but for me the big thing that put me off them (and those like them) are that they appear to be low profile and sit a bit too close to the machine.  i.e. the visibility of them for other road users at an intersection for example might be obscured.  The road users on the opposing side of the bike where the indicator is operating is what I mean.

At least an indicator on a stem gives those road users at the angle the chance of seeing them around the front of the bike.

Hope that all makes sense and as always YMMV.

I get what you are saying, they are about 1" closer on each side than the oem lights.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

I get what you are saying, they are about 1" closer on each side than the oem lights.

Which I guess is not a lot and may make little difference to their visibility - especially if they are as bright as what you and everyone else who have them say they are.

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:47 AM, dazzler24 said:

... the generic Chinese made MFC PROs from Amazon.  Fronts give me a white DRL that turn into an amber indicator when activated and likewise the rears are a red rear position lamp that go amber when indicating.

So far so good and they seem to be much more visible and don't look too bad on the bike as well (IMHO).

I have those exact indicator lights on one of my bikes. Buddy riding behind me said he couldn't see the turn signals very well. 

If you are standing there looking at them after installation, sure, you can see them function and they look OK - but they are rather muted and dim. Even the OEM signals with incandescent bulbs on most bikes are easier to see in traffic than these, and I took them off. Replaced the rears with some from 12'Oclock labs, which were only a bit better, not great.

As RaYzerman suggested https://www.superbrightleds.com/ may be the way to go if you have the older OEM signals and can replace the bulbs. I am considering that - they have so many choices I would have to call them.

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list