Engine Trouble light on

Stumpyone

Hey guys, My bike has been laid up for a couple of months due to my having an operation on my neck. I'm not expected to be able to ride until early March. I've been running my bike up every week or so to put a heat cycle through it just to keep things free and moving etc (and to make me feel good !!). Yesterday I noticed that the engine trouble light stays on and I can't access the Menu on the dash. My theory is that it needs to be ridden rather than just run up in the garage but cant prove that clearly. The bike is kept on a Optimate trickle charger.

Is there any DIY diagnostic device I can get to connect to the bike to see if there is a trouble code I can see and therefore interpret what's wrong?

My bike is a UK spec 2019 Tracer 900GT

Appreciate any advice

Mark

He's referring to a OBD2 scanner, this ain't no grocery store.

But yeah get a cheapo scanner and the obd to 4 pin adapter for Yamaha and you'll be on your way.

My guess is you ran the bike in gear on the center stand thus pissing off the abs and throwing a code.

This is highly debatable, but in our area it's generally frowned upon starting a motorcycle to "keep things moving" in the winter. Let them sleep, you won't burn off the condensation in the oil nor the muffler.

• Thumbsup 6

5 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

This is highly debatable, but in our area it's generally frowned upon starting a motorcycle to "keep things moving" in the winter. Let them sleep, you won't burn off the condensation in the oil nor the muffler.

+1

• Thumbsup 3

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

If you put the bike in gear while on the center stand it would definitely confuse the traction control and throw a code, blocking you from entering the user menu.  Bike will be rideable but you would need to get it to the dealer to clear the code or use an aftermarket code reader. 

As mentioned before, it is best to not start your bike when stored for winter or any length of time.  Mine sit in the garage from November until March and fire right up when it is time to ride again come spring weather.  Just keep it on a battery maintainer and it will be fine.  Also a good idea to change the oil before long term storage. 

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks guys. good shout on the starting it up etc. I'll get some fuel and top the tank off today and then leave it on the trickle charger. Its just the temptation to "play" and the closest I get to doing anything with it while in my recouperation!!!🤕

Thanks for the link to a diag tool too.

Kilo3 - I think you're probably spot on... I have been doing that.

Cheers guys

Mark

• Thumbsup 1

Hi Mark,

I did exactly yesterday same - tripped the engine management light running the bike while on the centre stand. Unfortunately it doesn't reset while riding the bike. Had to buy an obd2 reader to reset the thing. It was easier to do than I anticipated.

Good luck with your convalescence. 

John

3 hours ago, Stumpyone said:

Thanks guys. good shout on the starting it up etc. I'll get some fuel and top the tank off today and then leave it on the trickle charger. Its just the temptation to "play" and the closest I get to doing anything with it while in my recouperation!!!🤕

Thanks for the link to a diag tool too.

Kilo3 - I think you're probably spot on... I have been doing that.

Cheers guys

Mark

Dump a little fuel stabilizer in the tank before you fill it up and run the bike for a bit. 

I'm a fan of Seafoam in any fuel that will sit for a while.

seafoam-112x300.jpg

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.