Garmin Zumo XT & Sena SRL2

Suu Kyi

Hi,

I have a Sena SRL2 headset on my Shoei GT Air II and will be getting a Garmin Zumo XT shortly. Question I have is after I pair the Zumo to my Samsung S10 smartphone and the Sena which of these will have priority?

Meaning:

(1) when it's all switched on will the Zumo pair with the phone or the headset, will both try to pair and be confused?

(2) more importantly will my phone still pair with the headset if the Garmin is not turned on as don't intend to have the GPS on all the time; and

(3) will the intercom on the Sena with other riders still function?

Thanks, Michael.

Think of it more this way:
Garmin connects to your phone, your phone connects to sena. Anything Garmin wants to send audio wise is just addition to what's already happening on your phone.

• Thumbsup 3

You can pair the Sena with either, but if you have only one BT channel, you have to pick which........

Sena to XT, XT to phone, OR Sena to phone, phone to XT.

IF you have two BT channels on the Sena, you can pair both XT and phone to it.  Plus phone to XT if you like.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I have this exact setup and I've set mine up like this where fundamentally the XT is the 'hub' and manages all of the connections.

If my memory serves me correctly I struggled with this for a bit at the beginning but if you think of setting the three items (phone, XT, Sena) to use the XT as the 'brain' then it all works as intended.

This may be an issue for you if you don't intend having the XT on all of the time.  To get all of the benefits that the above arrangement offers you, would you consider leaving the XT on even if you are not using it as a GPS?

I do exactly that from time to time.  And in doing that, the XT screen shows info on incoming calls, what music you are playing, whether you want to accept an audio connection from your phone in the case of a voice message, etc.

Hope that helps in some way?

P.S. plus you can get weather and traffic updates for up ahead as well.

These might also help - 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have a Cardo packtalk and Q3 but I do not have the X T-connected to my phone or pack talk, I use the XT independently because I don't run it very often locally.

I could pair the XT to my phone or my phone to the XT but it just complicates things as far as I'm concerned because of the idiosyncrasies of the XT

Does this make sense

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for your comments and advice, Section 4.4 of the manual is quite clear on the options. Think will only pair the Zumo with the Sena and not with the phone, that way the phone will be isolated for calls and intercom and the Zumo will only give verbal directions via the Sena. Means no need to have the Zumo connected all the time which is my preference. Let's see how this goes, will provide an update once done, thanks again.....

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Suu Kyi said:

Thanks for your comments and advice, Section 4.4 of the manual is quite clear on the options. Think will only pair the Zumo with the Sena and not with the phone, that way the phone will be isolated for calls and intercom and the Zumo will only give verbal directions via the Sena. Means no need to have the Zumo connected all the time which is my preference. Let's see how this goes, will provide an update once done, thanks again.....

Yes, interested myself in how this works for you and if it is the way you had intended.

When you say the phone will be isolated for calls and intercom? The phone doesn't play any part in the intercom between riders of course or have I missed something in the interpretation of what you meant?

1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes, interested myself in how this works for you and if it is the way you had intended.

When you say the phone will be isolated for calls and intercom? The phone doesn't play any part in the intercom between riders of course or have I missed something in the interpretation of what you meant?

Meant phone will be isolated for calls (not intercom), as you quite rightly say the phone plays no part in the intercom. So; Sena will be paired separately to the phone using HFP+A2DP, according to the manual (some kind of protocol definition) and HFP only to the XT. The phone will not be paired to the XT, hence isolated. All detailed in Sections 4.4.1 & 2 on pages 18 & 19 of the manual, hopefully my interpretation is correct, time will tell.

• Thumbsup 1

This reminds me I need to update my old Shoei Neotec 1 helmet. I've been researching the GT-Air II so keeping an eye on this topic with the SRL2. Currently my Neotec is using the 20S and don't think the clamp will fit. 

What color/styles do people have or like? :)

• Premium Member

It's an expensive helmet but excellent a little heavy and fitting a SL2 is ok

https://youtu.be/WAIQivl8eM8

19 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Think this is the way I have my Zumo XT set up.  I have a Cardio but the procedure is similar.  I dont like pairing my phone with the Zumo and then the Cardio as the Zumo will play my music if the Cardio is turned off.  I am going to be playing around again with this as I like the idea if weather info on the Zumo.  I use the "what ahead" on the Zumo a lot for seeing how far to gas and food.  In more densely populate areas not so important but out west it is nice to see which towns have gas ve gas and food vs gas, food and lodging.

Not too hard to unpair and start all over again and sometime it seems to work better after a couple of pairings.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, robzilla said:

This reminds me I need to update my old Shoei Neotec 1 helmet. I've been researching the GT-Air II so keeping an eye on this topic with the SRL2. Currently my Neotec is using the 20S and don't think the clamp will fit. 

What color/styles do people have or like? :)

I notice that SENA have now bought out the SRL-Mesh version of this unit which will slot right in and has a more advanced communication technology over the bluetooth SRL2 version if that is an option that you'd prefer or need.

FWIW here's my SHOEI Neotec 2 for colour/style.  It's all such a personal thing.  I stay away from the darker colours for my part of the world as I want to be shedding/reflecting the heat for the majority of the riding season.

Splicer TC6.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Preliminary update - have received the Garmin Zumo XT and paired it only to the Sena and NOT the phone. Did it this way as I won't always have the Zumo connected so that the phone connected to the Sena will work independently. Works a treat. Also; for the time being I've wired it for power from the existing auxiliary port and plugged into the USB on the Zumo, works well. Will hard wire it from the supplementary auxiliary power plug behind the screen when I receive the plugs which I've ordered.

Garmin Zumo XT - Edited.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, dazzler24 said:

Hi, please see my preliminary update.

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Hi, please see my preliminary update.

Excellent news that it works as expected for you and thanks for thinking to tag me with the update.

Cheers. 👍

• Thumbsup 1