Winter storage question...

MI  2019 Tracer 900 is stored in a garage that never gets below 5C. I changed the oil in the fall and added fuel stabilizer. The battery is kept on a maintenance charger .   Should the engine be periodically started and run to operating temp or just let the bike sleep all winter? Storage where i am is usually December to at least March.

2 hours ago, Garz747 said:

MI  2019 Tracer 900 is stored in a garage that never gets below 5C. I changed the oil in the fall and added fuel stabilizer. The battery is kept on a maintenance charger .   Should the engine be periodically started and run to operating temp or just let the bike sleep all winter? Storage where i am is usually December to at least March.

No, leave it sit until it’s time to unwrap it for good. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let it hibernate.  You have done what is needed for storage.  I do the same and let mine sit untouched from the end of November until the middle of March or later.  It fires right up and is ready to go come Spring!!

For what it is worth, I change the oil after the last ride of the year.  This insures no combustion deposits in the oil during storage.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Agree with all the others, starting the bike mid winter, should be avoided. If you plan on taking it out and doing some significant riding, sure - go ahead. but if you really aren't going to ride much (if any) in the winter, leave it until the weather warms up before you start the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Garz747 said:

fit a front ski and a rear rubber track

They did it with a 'busa - why not a Tracer :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

After using up the first tank of gas the came the came in my bike, I've managed to only add ethanol free gas to the tank for the last 3000 miles or so. Should I add fuel stabilizer for winter storage?  

Urhhh I couldn't Imagine riding a sled without more wind protection. I mean I get it, in deep powder on a snowbike it's a phucking workout, going slow with the throttle pinned, but otherwise, brrrrrr.

On 1/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, Heli ATP said:

After using up the first tank of gas the came the came in my bike, I've managed to only add ethanol free gas to the tank for the last 3000 miles or so. Should I add fuel stabilizer for winter storage?  

Your fuel should be "stable" since it doesn't have any ethanol in it.  If you want to be super careful, before the first ride next season, drain the fuel and run it in your car.  Add fresh ethanol free gas to the bike before riding it.  I do this and I know it is over the top.

• Thumbsup 1