MT 09 SP or Honda CB1000R?

Jayzonk

Hi, looking to see who has had or tried both.  

Just looking for a good short hop/curvy road day tripper bike. MT09 SP ergos are perfect for me but love the attention to detail on the Honda CB1000R. Like the idea of having an inline four as well as I already have a triple '20 tracer). My only concern is that the seating position. I think the CB's footpegs are higher but I can't remember how much higher. Last sat on one a year ago and remember them being up a bit...not as bad as a full on Superbike but close.   

No dealer currently has one so I can't recheck it right now. 

I'm a tad over 5'11" and love the extra leg room. Wondering of anyone has any experience with both and can comment about that as well as handling/ride quality.  

Edited by Jayzonk
Spelling error

3 hours ago, Boat said:

I'm a Yamaha fanboy, but I must admit that CB1000R is one bad ass bike and I'd get one over the MT09 if I already had a Tracer...

He states that the pegs are quite high suggests that the CB1000R would be for shorter riders.  He's 6'2", so I suspect he means shorter than himself, but by how much, I do not know.  I remember it feeling tight as well.  

Sounds kind of crazy, but a naked bike with a fairing would be nice.  Sounds like a paradox but really, the attitude of the nakeds is much different than the superbikes, with their compact rider triangles and forward-leaning body positions (for getting more weight over the front wheel).  I don't think there's any reason that would preclude building a naked (upright style) bike with a fairing.  Would remind me of the Suzuki Bandit, for example.  

I have a 2016 FJ 09 and a 2019 CB1000r.

They are close to each other in terms of ergonomics.  I'm 5'11.

The seat height is perfect on the CB.  Pegs are a small amount higher, but hip and knee bend isn't noticeably different.  I put the seat back and forth between the high and low positions on the FJ 09.  Neither is as spot on for me as the CB.  

I use the FJ 09 for multi day trips and the CB1000r for less than 400 mile rides.  

The big difference is the engine.  I have a full Akra system on the CB1000r.  The HP difference between the two bikes is substantial.

The newer CB1000r bikes can't easily be tuned/flashed yet.  That's a big deal for people who don't like the stock exhaust.  

• Thumbsup 1