Quick run to Lake Wivenhoe - hot day!

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

The weather is forecast to change to rain in the coming week so threw on the panniers, took the drone and headed off to Lake Wivenhoe via Somerset dam.

It's around 300kms round trip from my digs and as the temps are starting to get uncomfortable i.e. hot and humid, I thought I'd change out my larger (cooler weather) Givi plus deflector for my small sport Givi screen.

Nice clean air but as the time got closer to midday my temp reading on the Tracer menu reached 37C and were constantly around 35-36 for the ride home so it turned into a bit of a blast furnace.

This was a new location for me and is a little bit hidden and away from the main visitor haunts so was pleasantly surprised when I arrived.  I did think to take the swimmers so had a cooling swim in the lake before taking a bit of drone footage and pics of the area before heading back home.

The bonus is that there were only a couple of other people there and with plenty of room it was like I had the place to myself.

There were also a couple of the local skippies  relaxing in the shade of the gum trees to add to the serenity.

All in all, a pretty good day on the Tracer with very little traffic to spoil the day out. 😁

20230131_102429.thumb.jpg.2ef46a3c91b1e64d4216c2f24bb58efe.jpg

20230131_114533.thumb.jpg.f0c49b6fd32e1e1f44b8a704cefe698f.jpg

DJI_0110.thumb.JPG.6cfe1abb10e4dc5170a5c63aef219b27.JPG

20230131_110834.thumb.jpg.96320c11d9d7890f362ca1aeaabe4697.jpg

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Heavy said:

Looks like the ride along the lake could be a fun one.

aus.jpg

Yes, it is in the main but the twisty sections are unfortunately a bit sketchy and uneven in places.  However, there are plenty of kms of good road and scenery to enjoy along the way.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

37 = 98.6F

Swimmers = Swim Trunks

Skippies = Walabees/ Kangaroos

Here 5F, 0 tonight

IFIYGD

Ha!  Thanks for the Antipodean to North American translations 2plus3  - and also for your kind acronym. 🙂

IFIYGD = I'm Forever Imbued (with) Your Great Dialogue.  🤣

Ha!  I'm sure your weather is on the turn for the better before too long or ...San Diego.   We got a weather warning this morning for heat wave conditions over the next few days so don't feel too bad.  The temperature and humidity here at 9AM is 33C (91F) and 57%.  Feels like 95%!

I'm off to mow the lawn and do some hedging - feel for me. 😓

What fantastic scenery!

Yep get bloody hot some times. I commute fortnightly between business  and home, 450 kilometres, and last trip it was 43-44 ° with string hot wind.

Return trip light rain. 

keep  those pics coming. 

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Chops said:

What fantastic scenery!

Yep get bloody hot some times. I commute fortnightly between business  and home, 450 kilometres, and last trip it was 43-44 ° with string hot wind.

Return trip light rain. 

keep  those pics coming. 

Yes, I've been noticing that SA has been experiencing all of the extremes lately!  Cold and windy, stinking hot, pinging down with rain, dry as a chip and everything in between!   Got some good wineries though 👍🍷

However, 44°C is stretching the friendship on a bike, especially over that distance and I assume in full ATGATT?

Here's a couple more pics seeing as you asked.🙂

DJI_0112.thumb.JPG.8e147d3986288a4e36cbbf7872242cd0.JPG

image.thumb.png.ed810e48d27675b7d79cd1201b500eec.png

image.thumb.png.2fae1dad53f232d77eec6e4b276a2ad0.png

image.thumb.png.101ba921d17cc9ea200b23f4151b45ec.png

image.thumb.png.32a773e964a943432ab31b92347d7cf6.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I did the yearly Rylstone Street Feast with my mates a few years ago (we do it every year except for the covid wipe out) and it was 46°C. Always wear my full leathers.

The fantastic roads made it bearable, but I can't say it was pleasant.

OK when its low humidity, but lately in Sydney we've been hitting 98%, that's unheard off.

Give me winter any day.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

I did the yearly Rylstone Street Feast with my mates a few years ago (we do it every year except for the covid wipe out) and it was 46°C. Always wear my full leathers.

The fantastic roads made it bearable, but I can't say it was pleasant.

OK when its low humidity, but lately in Sydney we've been hitting 98%, that's unheard off.

Give me winter any day.

Yes, if you've got a decent agenda and circuit then the actual ride is the part that helps to override the heat/humidity unpleasantness...until you stop.  Moral is, keep on riding unless you find a nice watering hole to cool off in or at - if you're cooling off on the inside. 

As to this comment - Give me winter any day - Agreed! 👍

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Don't feel too bad when we get up in the nineties our humidity is usually about 80%+

A little diversion but here's a bit of an anthem for us 2and3 when Summer hits here - especially in Queensland AU.  Released back in 1985.   Showing my age I know.  Still relevant today.

• Supporting Member
On 2/1/2023 at 3:06 AM, dazzler24 said:

A little diversion but here's a bit of an anthem for us 2and3 when Summer hits here - especially in Queensland AU.  Released back in 1985.   Showing my age I know.  Still relevant today.

Out of sheer boredom, I went back and did a quick search for music released in 1985.   I would have been 20 at that time.  

Let's just say that in retrospect, it was a somewhat bleak period for popular music... 😳

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Out of sheer boredom, I went back and did a quick search for music released in 1985.   I would have been 20 at that time.  

Let's just say that in retrospect, it was a somewhat bleak period for popular music... 😳

Ha!  You should have gone into politics Tex.  Very diplomatic. 😄