New member with 2015 FJ-09 inbound

Dave Clark

Hi.

I'm picking up a 2015 FJ-09 in matt grey with less than 8k miles on Tuesday.  Noticed several items on my test ride that I'll be dressing ASAP:  windscreen, hand guards, footpegs, and GPS mount.  All suggestions are welcomed.

FWIW, current ride is a KTM 390 Adventure.  Previous bikes were a WR250R, V-strom 650, and Kawasaki Super Sherpa.  The KTM replaced the WR for adventure trips (such as BDR's).  The FJ-09 replaces the old Vstrom for sport touring duties.

Thanks!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Welcome.  I haven't been on this forum much since I got my 2015 (red) in the summer of 2019 but the older models are great and could be had for a bargain for a while.  I think I could have sold mine for twice what I paid for it when all the craziness was going on but I kept it in the garage.

Love Spokane by the way.  I was out there last spring.  One of the few places I might want to live in WA state.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome!  Since I bought my bike last month I've ridden it exactly...once!  The weather here in Eastern Washington is still cold and snowy.  We got another 6 inches just a week ago and in fact, it's snowing as I type this!  But I think these are the death throes of winter.  

In the meantime, I've been learning more about the bike, going over it with a fine-toothed comb, checking fluids, filters, chain, etc.  Also started the farkeling process, so far ordering footpegs, bar risers, GPS mount, mirror extensions, kickstand foot, windscreen and new handguards.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/5/2023 at 3:55 PM, Dave Clark said:

I'm picking up a 2015 FJ-09 in matt grey with less than 8k miles on Tuesday.  Noticed several items on my test ride that I'll be dressing ASAP:  windscreen, hand guards, footpegs, and GPS mount.  All suggestions are welcomed.

The 2015 is notorious for having a snatchy throttle, while you are snowed in is the perfect time to send the ECU in and get it flashed for smoother fueling.  Both 2wheeldynoworks and Vcyclenut are right here in Washington and have same day turn around.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Huh... Vcyclenut moved I see. 😒

Yes, I believe he moved about a year ago.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

The 2015 is notorious for having a snatchy throttle, while you are snowed in is the perfect time to send the ECU in and get it flashed for smoother fueling.  Both 2wheeldynoworks and Vcyclenut are right here in Washington and have same day turn around.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to need to ride mine more to get a good feel of what you're describing before I spend $300 on an ECU flash.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Vcyclenut is $200 I believe. 

Add HH+ front brake pads and SS lines all around, a saddle, OEM slip assist clutch kit, adjustable levers, SW-Mototech skip plate, some form of case guard to your list!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 2/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, Dave Clark said:

GPS mount

I like the Cosmo, and if you're doing the windscreen anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174883459224?hash=item28b7ddd098:g:kjcAAOSw8GtZQUiM

Also, you might want a skid plate and/or do the oil plug mod.  The oil pans on these bikes can crack easily if you kick up the wrong rock or slam into a speed bump.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 hour ago, knyte said:

I like the Cosmo, and if you're doing the windscreen anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174883459224?hash=item28b7ddd098:g:kjcAAOSw8GtZQUiM

Also, you might want a skid plate and/or do the oil plug mod.  The oil pans on these bikes can crack easily if you kick up the wrong rock or slam into a speed bump.

I ordered a Ram mount that looks almost exactly like the one in your link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284441073152

I wasn't planning on a skid plate for this bike.  Is cracking the bottom of the case from road debris that common on this bike?  And what's the "oil plug mod"? 

• Thumbsup 1

Currently in the mail:

Parabellum Flyscreen

KTM Adventure hand guards

Bar riser/bar back

AdventureTech Mirror Extenders and Kickstand foot

Rubber padded footpegs

GPS mount and Zumo XT mounting parts

Next decision is protection. Fenda Extenda's front and back and a radiator guard are part of the plan but there are almost too many choices for side protection!  Can't decide between Givi crash bars, smaller crash bars, or a combo of sliders and case covers.  I won't deny that looks do play a part in the decision. After I installed a big skid plate, SW Motech crash bars, and bark busters to my V-strom, it looked like an ADV bike - and it never left tarmac!  It was overkill for the way I road that bike.  I'd like my FJ to maintain a cleaner, road-only look but I can't ignore the apparent protection full blown Givi bars provide.  Alternative suggestions in this area are appreciated.  

Edited by Dave Clark

20 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Vcyclenut is $200 I believe. 

Add HH+ front brake pads and SS lines all around, a saddle, OEM slip assist clutch kit, adjustable levers, SW-Mototech skip plate, some form of case guard to your list!

Seems to me he needs to change the bike.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Seems to me he needs to change the bike.

Please clarify your comment.

There are at least a dozen more mods also commonly made to street bikes less maybe the skid plate.  A 15 FJ09 per the hop manual is due for brake line (and clutch cable) replacement.  The stock brake pads are GG, fine for the rear but they have no place on a bike like a FZ/FJ/XSR/Tracer! An OEM slip/ assist clutch is relatively inexpensive and greatly reduces lever effort, improvs shifting and adds more than a  of safety especially in wet conditions. 

Next up would be front & rear suspension "recalibration"...

• Thumbsup 1