Braided brake lines

Darren69

• Supporting Member
On 2/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, sandman900 said:

Experience any issues cracking loose and then bleeding the lines to the ABS junctions?

Nothing too complicated.   I had to draw a lot of fluid through to get everything flowing cleanly, but the system bleeds like any conventional non-ABS hydraulic brakes.   

It’s worth ‘triggering’ the ABS manually on a ride, then giving a final bleed to make sure there aren’t any rogue air bubbles lingering in the system. 

• Thumbsup 3

Braided lines are worth the investment. They will greatly reduce the need to replace your lines every 4 years like the Yamaha scheduled maintenance recommends. I have Galfers on my FZ1 and they are great. I plan on adding them to the Fj too. Some things that can greatly help you in making it easier. Buy some brake line wrenches as they are specially made for the brake line fasteners. The most aggravating things is rounding off the brake line fasteners whether removing them or tightening them. It's not a must , however when you round off the first one you will remember this posting.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brentinpdx said:

... the need to replace your lines every 4 years like the Yamaha scheduled maintenance recommends....

🤯

First I've heard of this. I already though the service schedule every 4000 miles was ridiculous with some of the items the want to do / change but this takes the cake.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

🤯

First I've heard of this. I already though the service schedule every 4000 miles was ridiculous with some of the items the want to do / change but this takes the cake.

I agree, even at 20x that mileage, I would bet that the number of lines that have failed is zero. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, Brentinpdx said:

Braided lines are worth the investment. They will greatly reduce the need to replace your lines every 4 years like the Yamaha scheduled maintenance recommends. I have Galfers on my FZ1 and they are great. I plan on adding them to the Fj too. Some things that can greatly help you in making it easier. Buy some brake line wrenches as they are specially made for the brake line fasteners. The most aggravating things is rounding off the brake line fasteners whether removing them or tightening them. It's not a must , however when you round off the first one you will remember this posting.

I’m no Rossi but I prefer the way they feel.

They do feel good and will improve braking with good pads.  However, I had my rear line fail and lock up the rear brake., The inner tubing collapsed and wouldn't let fluid back to the master cylinder.  

• Sad 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:59 PM, texscottyd said:

Spiegler lines here along with 2015 R1 master and HH pads. Did not put HH on the back as  to aggressive went back to stock.. if I had to do it all over again I would first put on the HH pads and test to see if that was good for me then the R1 master then the lines. In that order. Depends on what you want in braking. The more aggressive you ride the more brakes you need. The more speed the more brakes.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...