What in the heck is that noise coming from the clutch????

I've got this fine 2019 Tracer 900 GT with 13,000 miles on the clock and when the clutch lever is out and engaged there is pronounced sound coming from the clutch. the noise goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in or the when the engine is under a load. Bearings, faulty cluth basket, gap in the clutch plates/basket. The bike runs and rides like new but the noise and minore resonating frequency is hard to ignore. Is this common or did I just purchase a defunked 900 GT? Either way I'm going to fix the issues but wanted to know if this was common umungst these bikes. 

Ear plugs are the first Tracer farkle you need to install (in your ears). :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

It is something you need to get used to. Don't ascribe a problem where there isn't one. You've admitted that the bike "runs and rides like new" but you also hear these noises. Those noises are part of this package. It can be  disconcerting at first, especially if coming from quiet inline-4s.  But you'll get use to it. Trust us.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! 👍

• Like 2

Mine at 15k miles is much louder at cold startup than it is once the motor is good and hot.  When cold, it really grinds.  Hot, I don't notice it at all.  Even without earplugs, it isn't annoying on the hot motor.  It appeared over time, so I expect it to get worse as it gets older.  

• Thumbsup 1

And your choice of oil brand and weight might cause subtle changes to the racket down below.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

My 2019 GT clutch has always been noisy compared to any of the other motorcycles I have owned.  Been that way since day one.  Mine now has 23,000 miles and no issues.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

11 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Mine at 15k miles is much louder at cold startup than it is once the motor is good and hot.  When cold, it really grinds.  Hot, I don't notice it at all.  Even without earplugs, it isn't annoying on the hot motor.  It appeared over time, so I expect it to get worse as it gets older.  

So I guess I'm goint to hav to get use to it from what eveyone is saying. Either way this is a very fun bike to zip around town and tour on. Thank you everyone for your input and information. And yes, ear plugs are a must.

3 hours ago, nhchris said:

And your choice of oil brand and weight might cause subtle changes to the racket down below.

Very true, I just changed my 2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE over to 20-50 synthetic motor oild and it hushed the engine noise down substantialy. 

Also, search the forum for the word "gronk" for in-depth discussions of clutches and clutch noises.

Sitting here many, many miles away, I'd guess that the noise your describing is the FJ/Tracer's sort of normal clutch rattle or clutch knock. Just ignore it. There's not a whole lot you can do about it other than perhaps ensure that the throttle bodies are well-synced.

There's another noise and feel, which I dubbed the "gronk", that happens while engaged and in motion (low speeds, lightly loaded). This one can also be ignored safely, but it is pretty annoying, and there is a cure. 

So overall, it seems quite likely that you should just ignore it and ride more until you get used to it.

I've also found that people accustomed to other bikes often have a little trouble acclimating to the FJ. For example, BMW owners are used to a very different set of noises and sensations from the dry clutch. No idea whether something like this describes you, but it's a thing that happens.

6 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

My 2019 GT clutch has always been noisy compared to any of the other motorcycles I have owned.  Been that way since day one.  Mine now has 23,000 miles and no issues.

are you able to feel the ctuch vibration though the handlbars and pegs when at iddle and when the clutch lever is pulled in does the vibration go away? 

It does on mine.  Clutch out, rattle.  Pull clutch in, rattle dies in about a second of two.

As mentioned, there is also a sort of vibration felt when going slow in first or second gear on neutral throttle.  Mine is felt only when the motor is cold.  My hot motor is pretty silky at going on 16k miles. 

Also, no two bikes are the same.  Some make noises that others don't. Just a reminder, in case yours is noisier than another you've heard. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with yours, but just the variance of individual and wear levels.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Mine’s rattled for more than 100k miles. I don’t even notice it anymore unless I happen to think of one of these threads. Nothing to worry about. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon