Wet weather gear? Pants in particular.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks Brian.  I had a quick look for these but they are like the proverbial rocking horse sh$t to find.

Thanks for the input.

The pants that @BBB linked are very similar to the ones I suggested though mine were originally marketed for off road riding so the material might be heavier.  For the price, the Oxford pants would be well worth trying out.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You might look at outdoor/camping/hiking stores for good gear. Seems much of it is light weight and packs small. I have pants with full side zippers that makes getting into them with boots on very easy. I sized the jacket to fit over my mesh jacket. Had the set for 6 yrs, never leaked, easy on/off. Usually lots of choices too.

Good luck finding what you want. Ride safely!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Guys thanks for your responses.  Some great ideas and tips in them.

The ongoing issue with supply of some of them down here is proving to be a stumbling point with O/S postage costs nearly doubling the price in some instances.

To that end I've gone for a cheapy eBay set to try out that appears to tick a few of my requirement boxes - at least on paper/screen.  According to the blurb they are motorcycle specific with zips, taffeta lining, made from nylon with cinch points in the right places and some high vis etc so hopefully they'll do the job for my occasional use.  At AU$70 (~US$47) for the set its worth a shot.

Once again, thanks to all for your contributions. 👍

• Like 1

Im gradually buying Klim Badlands gear after a VERY wet ride to Phillip island motogp last October, the bmw gear held water perfectly lol. I will say i was never cold. I doubt anything would keep you dry in persistent torrential conditions.

• Thumbsup 1

23 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Actually, just discovered these.

Now the sizing has me confused.😕

Don’t buy from Amazon! You can get it from Ali Express perhaps 40% cheaper.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Im gradually buying Klim Badlands gear after a VERY wet ride to Phillip island motogp last October, the bmw gear held water perfectly lol. I will say i was never cold. I doubt anything would keep you dry in persistent torrential conditions.

Agreed, but my aim is avoid those kind of conditions (where possible) and by extension not wanting or needing to shell out on high end stuff.

As mentioned earlier, I agree with getting the good stuff if your needs warrant it.  The Klim gear should serve you well. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 3/4/2023 at 10:56 AM, betoney said:

For the price, the Oxford pants would be well worth trying out.

I have the Oxford Rainseal jacket/pant set. Very inexpensive and positively waterproof, although the pants ride up a bit when sitting on the bike... a little more length would be nice. The jacket also makes for a fantastic wind breaker.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, piotrek said:

I have the Oxford Rainseal jacket/pant set. Very inexpensive and positively waterproof, although the pants ride up a bit when sitting on the bike... a little more length would be nice. The jacket also makes for a fantastic wind breaker.

Just out of curiosity, how do you find that kit for size when stowed?  Would you say it's compact or bulky?

• Supporting Member
On 3/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, BBB said:

For light rain I find that textile trousers cope well anyway, but for a downpour I use these cheap-as-chips over trousers as they pack small.

https://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3574.htm

On 3/5/2023 at 1:56 AM, betoney said:

The pants that @BBB linked are very similar to the ones I suggested though mine were originally marketed for off road riding so the material might be heavier.  For the price, the Oxford pants would be well worth trying out.

5 hours ago, piotrek said:

My current thinking, given all of the pros and cons and availability of gear over here, is if my cheapy eBay set doesn't live up to expectations on arrival then the Oxfords may be the (my) answer.

Cheers all.

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you find that kit for size when stowed?  Would you say it's compact or bulky?

The kit doesn't pack very small. I just loosely fold them into panniers, which are on the bike all the time. If you're planning to carry in a tail bag... might be tight.

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I have the jacket and it is very nice.  I roll it up and store it in the top case for easy access.  It rolls to 9” by 4”.  For pants have FrogToggs - the cheap ones from WalMart.  Problem is they will split the seat easily but work well and last OK and pack small.  I always have a FrogToggs jacket and pants set around. Biggest problem in rain is the water running down you front and pooling in your lap.  My Tracer 900GT is not too bad about that and many times in wet weather I just wear a jacket and my over pants do an OK job of protecting from rain but not all day good.  I’ve ridden many days in the rain all day.  The good gear would be nice but the space it takes up is not insignificant.  Therefore my hybrid approach.

Couple of years ago was caught on a 350 mile day with rain.  Instead of the intermittent shower I expected it was steady all day and the temperature was much colder.  Started at 55 and went down to 34 going thru a pass - I was cold and wet.  One of those days that I’ll never forget and did change how I prepare.  

• Thumbsup 1

For occasional use, FroggToggs are fine.  Best rain suit for me, Olympia Horizon will keep you dry in frog stranglers and have a handy hood to put under your helmet.  Lots of adjustment, they fit big and are meant as overgarments, so order one size down from your normal.  Vented, so you don't sweat to death.

• Thumbsup 1

I only wear mesh air pants year round which include the rain liners/jeans underneath when colder…….due to the fact that I can’t stand the heat and humidity in the summer where I live.

That said, I have been successfully using Frog Toggs for about a dozen years now for rain overpants.  They have never let me down by leaking although their appearance is not the greatest after some wear.  They pill up and can look somewhat ragged after a couple of seasons……I throw them away every once and while and buy another pair for around $30.00.   They are super light, pack small, and come in tall lengths for my long legs.

I use a regular Olympia rain overcoat over my riding jacket for rainy days.

• Thanks 1