Wet weather gear? Pants in particular.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member
On 3/5/2023 at 11:53 AM, dazzler24 said:

Guys thanks for your responses.  Some great ideas and tips in them.

The ongoing issue with supply of some of them down here is proving to be a stumbling point with O/S postage costs nearly doubling the price in some instances.

To that end I've gone for a cheapy eBay set to try out that appears to tick a few of my requirement boxes - at least on paper/screen.  According to the blurb they are motorcycle specific with zips, taffeta lining, made from nylon with cinch points in the right places and some high vis etc so hopefully they'll do the job for my occasional use.  At AU$70 (~US$47) for the set its worth a shot.

Once again, thanks to all for your contributions. 👍

My cheapies have turned up and for the price they seem fine - though yet untested in weather.

Early impressions/observations are that there is a lining in the jacket but not in the pants and the jacket sleeves could be a little longer IMHO.  Jacket has velcro side cinches and a high neck garter to keep out the rain. Ankles and cuffs have elastic and velcro cinches.  Breathability may be an issue out in the elements??

They arrived in their own zippered bag for storage and it measures around 30cm (12") square.  While not small the individual items can be rolled up into a smaller footprint if required.

Pants are reasonably light while the jacket is slightly bulky.

Anyway, I'll give them a trial and if they are not up to scratch then I've got plenty of good advice on alternatives from this thread.

20230311_161226.thumb.jpg.4f8f86c0462f91d6fdb213db44417e92.jpg

20230311_161356.thumb.jpg.b40fc479066b1c2a0ec4afb4a3176c1f.jpg

20230311_170525.thumb.jpg.b6bca9595239e409c2cea3d7d89c8a51.jpg

20230311_161529.thumb.jpg.dfe965fd7ad8b94d76e90db9456888d7.jpg

20230311_161610.thumb.jpg.c557cd3943ed21913c7674d4a382234e.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

My cheapies have turned up and for the price they seem fine - though yet untested in weather.

I'll give them a trial and if they are not up to scratch then I've got plenty of good advice on alternatives from this thread.

For a quick test, prior to getting stuck in a rain storm you could wear them in the shower for 5 minutes to see if any water gets through underneath.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Whatever pants option you land on, remember the plastic bag hack. Keep two plastic grocery bags (the throwaway kind you get when you shop) with your rain pants. When it's time to put on the pants, step into the plastic bags so they cover your boots. Your rain pants will slide on very easily, you won't be fighting the friction of your boots. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

For a quick test, prior to getting stuck in a rain storm you could wear them in the shower for 5 minutes to see if any water gets through underneath.

This is food for all sorts of jokes.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, maximo said:

Whatever pants option you land on, remember the plastic bag hack. Keep two plastic grocery bags (the throwaway kind you get when you shop) with your rain pants. When it's time to put on the pants, step into the plastic bags so they cover your boots. Your rain pants will slide on very easily, you won't be fighting the friction of your boots. 

If you wear a aerostitch roadcrafter suit you learn that trick real early on!!!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

This is food for all sorts of jokes.

Agreed 2&3.  My first thought was that the wife already thinks I'm losing it.  Standing in the shower fully clothed in my rain gear would remove all doubt in her mind!  She might have me sectioned!  🤣

I might stand under the sprinkler outside instead - then the neighbours can call it in.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, maximo said:

Yes, good call Max.  I've done that on the hiking trail in the past and it really does make for and easy 'entry' with the feet.  Plastic bag now in with the rain kit.  Thanks for the reminder. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

There's nothing like stopping under a viaduct* in a rain storm and hopping on one foot trying to get a wet boot down a trouser leg, loosing your balance and falling into your bike and knocking it over, and possibly then with a domino effect, your buddy's bike parked upwind.

*Or any port in a storm

• Haha 1

My jacket is a 3 - 4ish season jacket. Pants are the same. I can take my liner out when needed. Or I can leave it in when the weather is iffy.  It's a bit more to do to take it out or put it in.  Here in the PNW, rain can be here anytime. It's easier to be prepared than to chance it and be cold and wet.  Revzilla has a plethora of these garments to choose from.

Just purchased some KLIM Badlands A3 pants on special, still very exxy, hoping they work as planned for next biblical wet ride to Phillip Island lol, just need some waterproof boots and decent gloves then the weather can do what it likes (as it does).

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

KLIM Badlands A3 pants on special, still very exxy,

Ouch!  Just had a look at the price of these things!  -  AU$1,084.

They must be good!

On 3/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, dazzler24 said:

Ouch!  Just had a look at the price of these things!  -  AU$1,084.

They must be good!

They way I see it, if I get a few wet patches on the undersuit but stay mostly dry and warm through a full day of decent rain, they'll be a success compared to the sponges masquerading as wet weather gear already selling lol. Very well made with love IMO.

• Thumbsup 1

I have a Tourmaster Caliber riding pants.  I always use them on long rides, the last one was in 460 miles of heavy rain from UP MI through WI and into Chicago.  I was dry when I got home.  My laminated jacket leaked at the pocket zippers but stayed dry inside, it's also a Tourmaster Transition 4.

Edited by OldBikers
  • Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/18/2023 at 9:10 PM, Darren69 said:

They way I see it, if I get a few wet patches on the undersuit but stay mostly dry and warm through a full day of decent rain, they'll be a success compared to the sponges masquerading as wet weather gear already selling lol. Very well made with love IMO.

I'm leaning towards your philosophy. I have the badlands gloves and they are the bee's knees. I just bought replacement Gerbings heated pants to replace an old set that is long in the tooth and I am so disappointed in the waterproofing layer (junk) that I might just toss it and wear the heated liner under a pair of Klim pants. Gerbings has gone seriously downhill since the old days. In my neck of the woods, I need both heating and watertightness. One is no good without the other if you want to ride year round in the Pacific North Wet. Klim is pricy, very pricy, but a good long-term investment if you put your gear through the paces. 

Edited by larolco
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Aerostitch Transit 2 CE Lvl 2 all-around waterproof GorePro, solar reflective, breathable leather 2-piece suit needs nothing but a Warm N Safe heated 12v long-sleeved 90w jacket liner with their dual Heatroller and the abor SuperTouring heated armored armor all around