FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
What size did you order? I'm 6'4" w2ith a 32" inseam and I ordered the 22" screen, a year ago. My helmet is a Nolan N-104 EVO, and I ride with the chinbar up most of the time. I get a little air movement at the top of the helmet, and a little air around the sides to keep me comfortable in the 90-100+ temps we have here in Oklahoma. I also have a Corbin saddle which sits a bit taller than the stock saddle in low position. Did a 2000 mile trip the end of July out across west Texas to Montrose, CO, and the Madstad was perfect. I am a huge fan!
I ordered the 20" Clear Screen, but I'm only 5ft 8.5in

• Premium Member
What size did you order? I'm 6'4" w2ith a 32" inseam and I ordered the 22" screen, a year ago. My helmet is a Nolan N-104 EVO, and I ride with the chinbar up most of the time. I get a little air movement at the top of the helmet, and a little air around the sides to keep me comfortable in the 90-100+ temps we have here in Oklahoma. I also have a Corbin saddle which sits a bit taller than the stock saddle in low position. Did a 2000 mile trip the end of July out across west Texas to Montrose, CO, and the Madstad was perfect. I am a huge fan!
I ordered the 20" Clear Screen, but I'm only 5ft 8.5in
I should also mention that I ride with the screen in the full forward position. The new brackets are scalloped so the screen holds in position much better than the old style. I posted some pics a while back of my install, hope it helps.  http://fj-09.org/thread/2137/madstad-windscreen-experience 

Interesting. My brackets weren't scalloped like I see in your pictures. I ordered mine last month and got the new screen style with it. The scalloped brackets must be something you have to ask for. No issue with mine holding, but then again my head buzzes so bad at speed I can't see what I'm looking at!

What kind of air flow are you getting? What kind of wind noise? Still deciding on whether I should get the Sport SD style shield, or get an MRA add on. I find it hard to believe that a different screen shape s going to solve my problems.

Hi I already have a puig touring screen in dark tint and find it brilliant but as I am short and ride often at night in work so I decided to replace like for like but clear as I find the dark tint a little to dark for regular night riding as I have to look through it with some difficulty , just waiting for it to come so anyone in the UK interested in a used good condition dark tint screen let me know , I must say it's a brilliant screen keeps the wind noise down and looks good on the bike

• Premium Member
Interesting. My brackets weren't scalloped like I see in your pictures. I ordered mine last month and got the new screen style with it. The scalloped brackets must be something you have to ask for. No issue with mine holding, but then again my head buzzes so bad at speed I can't see what I'm looking at! 
What kind of air flow are you getting? What kind of wind noise? Still deciding on whether I should get the Sport SD style shield, or get an MRA add on. I find it hard to believe that a different screen shape s going to solve my problems.

Airflow is quite good across my torso, gentle movement, practically no wind noise, don't have a problem hearing the engine. I also run bluetooth music to my helmet, and have no problem hearing it even with the chinbar up. The 22" is a good all round fit for me. Addons are not needed.....look kind of dorky IMO. Like I said before, I have the screen in the full upright position. When you tilt it back is when I start having problems. Madstad will work with you. 

I received my "Sport SD" screen in the mail yesterday. I have to say, my opinion of Madstad is continually going downhill. I received a warped screen, but decided to install it anyway. No dice as I've still got the same issue as before. I've tried a 3rd helmet as well, and different types of earplugs. The Sport SD will be going back, and I've ordered a MRA X-creen Sport to go back on the original Madstad screen. I now have almost $500 with of windshield on the FJ and in my garage. D'oh!

FWIW I think this set up just doesn't work for me. My buddy rode the bike and said it was an amazing screen. I said the same about his no name screen on his KLR. At a loss here, but hoping the MRA lip makes it tolerable, as my hour long ride was brutal.

EDIT: also, the Sport SD in 22" is only 1/2" taller than the 20" "new" style.

• Premium Member
This is what I ended up doing. A MRA screen with the MRA blade And I like the way it works.... I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam.

20160919_141333_zps0hsngfuw.jpg

20160919_141318_zpsdsowpbrg.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 4 weeks later...
I had one on my Buell and loved it. I tried when I bought this bike to contact them about it but their website wouldn't allow me through. I bought a Madstad but would have bought the Palmer in a heartbeat if I could have. Quality stuff and very adjustable.

• 1 month later...