FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• 5 months later...
The search for the perfect windscreen

There has been much written about screens and the results seem inconsistent and confusing. I have done much experimentation and would like to share some of my results. I wish we had an aerospace engineer as an FJ-09 rider as the airplane industry seems to have figured out airflow quite well. I think there are good lessons to be learned from aircraft wing designs. At the speeds we go on our motorcycles, the aircraft wing needs flaps and slats to properly control the air flow. I have found that using a similar approach with devices such as the MRA X-Creen spoiler to be very effective in controlling turbulence and wind noise. (

There seem to be mainly two schools of thought on bike screens. The "Barn Door" approach and the "Minimalist".

The "Barn Door" people find good results with a large screen like the "Mastad". I personally don't like looking through or just over a large screen and it looks a little ugly to me on the bike. This approach does work well and if the screen is big enough then wind pressure, wind noise and turbulence can all be cut to a very low level.

The "Minimalist" people often have a typical screen that is too short to be a "Barn Door" and so they are not happy. They often find that by standing up they emerge into clean airflow and turbulence stops and all they have is some remaining wind pressure and noise that is tolerated or dealt with by ear plugs. A short screen will result in the helmet being in this clean air flow. This works really well at lower speeds but for fast cruising there is considerable wind pressure and some noise. Those with strong necks can tolerate this but my extensive neck surgery prevents me using this option. One advantage to a short screen is increased cooling airflow in hot weather when large screens result in overheating if you are wearing your protective gear. Most people will also agree that a short screen looks better on the bike.

One thing we are all agreed on I think is that the original equipment (OE) screen isn't very good so some change is necessary. By experimentation I think I have found a small screen configuration that is turbulence free, quite low noise and cuts wind pressure at high speed. I have also found an option of a medium size screen that is turbulence free and very low noise. It also cuts wind pressure a lot but leaves enough for good cooling.

One thing I should mention is that we need some way of comparing results. A rider's height and torso length as well as seat position are all factors that should be stated. Helmets vary a lot in noise exclusion but turbulence will affect all of them. Also, the height of the top of the screen above the tank filler cap would be important measure. It might be best to aim for good results with the screen in the middle of the three adjustment positions on the FJ-09 to allow some later fine tuning.

Just one hint before describing my two options is an easy way to cut down a screen to a smaller size. I rigged up an inverted jig saw on a padded bench to so this. It requires a steady hand but isn't very difficult. Finishing the edge with a file and sandpaper gives a good result. The first picture shows this set-up.

Small Screen.
First I cut 5 inches off the OE screen and rounded off the corners. I then attached the MRA X-Creen Sport version spoiler to the top of the reduced OE screen. The spoiler is bolted on and attached by arms that allow a considerable number of optional positions. The top of the spoiler is 13 inches above the gas filler cap. I think I went a bit too far and cutting 4 inches would have been better so the lesson is to go in easy stages! The slot effect of the spoiler smoothes the air flow and considerably reduces both wind pressure and noise compared to just shortening the screen. Some experimentation is needed with spoiler position and angle to get best results. I use earplugs to cut the remaining noise and high speed cruising is comfortable with the reduced wind pressure.

Medium screen.
My medium screen started life as a National Cycle V-Stream Sport-Touring screen. It is the medium size of their 3 screens and I could have perhaps gone with the shortest, sport screen but it was narrower and I liked the extra width. I cut off the top 3.5 inches and attached the MRA X-Creen Touring version. The top of the X-Creen is 17.5 inches above the gas tank filler but well below my line of sight. It produces a turbulence free and quiet zone around the helmet. There is almost no wind pressure and riding without my visor is comfortable. To get the same effect in a single screen it would have to be several inches higher and as I said, I like to look at the road ahead without a screen in the way.

For most riders noise and buffeting are only critical in the helmet area. This is why air flow management at the top of the main screen is where modifications have the most impact. Because the spoiler is located at the top of the screen it is ideally placed to create a smooth and turbulence free flow of reduced air pressure. The attachment adjustability means there is a lot of fine tuning possible to get the best effect.

One disadvantage to this approach is the extra cost involved but many people buy several screens before they find one that works.

Jig_Saw.jpgScreen_1_A.jpgScreen_1_B.jpgScreen_1_C.jpgScreen_1_D.jpgScreen_2_A.jpgScreen_2_B.jpgScreen_2_C.jpgScreen_2_D.jpgScreen_mount_modification.jpgScreen_view_ahead.jpg
  • Thanks 1

Esperance has written some solid, considered, objective words here, about as clear and realistic on this difficult-to-measure subject as I have seen.

Personally - and as he says we are all different - I find the OE screen perfectly OK, but then again I do live and ride (mainly) in a pretty benign climate.   I don't think I'd want to be commuting through icy winter weather behind this screen!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I fitted this very cheap Chinese screen from ebay for the summer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bubble-Motor-Windshield-WindScreen-For-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-15-16-BK/401175762937?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Most posts in here (quite rightly) focus on where the air flow hits your helmet, turbulence and noise. But, for me the most amazing effect is psychological. The bike now feels like a little hooligan: darty, sure footed, flickable (teenage is another word that pops to mind). It's been such a change in character from when I had my tall Puig Touring screen fitted for winter, when the bike felt like a touring, grown-up kind of bike.

Perhaps it's just the effect of good weather? Anyone else notice a difference in character between screens?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I tried to get some basis for comparison and to make it easier to understand why one windscreen works and another doesn't by doing a drawing that would allow us to uniformly measure and then compare. Here it is again: Dni2Sud.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I fitted this very cheap Chinese screen from ebay for the summer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bubble-Motor-Windshield-WindScreen-For-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-15-16-BK/401175762937?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Most posts in here (quite rightly) focus on where the air flow hits your helmet, turbulence and noise. But, for me the most amazing effect is psychological. The bike now feels like a little hooligan: darty, sure footed, flickable (teenage is another word that pops to mind). It's been such a change in character from when I had my tall Puig Touring screen fitted for winter, when the bike felt like a touring, grown-up kind of bike.

Perhaps it's just the effect of good weather? Anyone else notice a difference in character between screens?
I do experience the same.  I must have the windscreen down in lowest position and looking over the top so I can see the road in front of me, not just a 1/8 mile away, but the whole corner.  I was able to play with this on my FJR and would always lower the windscreen when coming to corners that would go on for a mile or more.  I also noticed that I must always put my sun visor up when doing corners, especially when sun is shining and there is a lot of contrast between the shadows and the sun lite sections.  Dark sun shades block the clearity of the road surface.  Very important when riding fast, to be able to see everything. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 weeks later...

fj09_yosemite_ride.png

The Givi 2122s

Ordered it from Motostorm - delivered from Italy in about one week. The screen is great so far. It did require adjustment of the mirrors to avoid touching at full lock.

The other concern is the warning sticker that came on the screen: "do not exceed 80mph and do not leave parked in the sun." Apparently this screen may melt your dash.

I've had zero problems with it over the past 1k miles. Highly recommend this screen.