FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Hey guys, so I'm another one who's having a real tough time with the wind buffeting after 100 kmph. It becomes unbearable and here in Dubai the wind is extremely strong on the highways, which is what most of the roads are! I have a Nolan and a Shoei NXR (RF1200) and I use earplugs with both, the Shoei is superloud because of the ventilation. I can't even hear my Sena Bluetooth at max volume on the highway!

I tried all 3 height settings with the stock screen, also removed the screen and nothing really worked. Removing the screen moved the windblast from the ear level to the chest and made the torso sort of an airbrake. The noise kinda changed but after 120kmph it wasn't much different.

I'm 6'1" 200 lbs with slightly more in legs than torso and from what I've read, different screens have varying results for tall & short riders so can someone with similar dimensions please suggest an aftermarket screen?

• Premium Member
I've been pretty happy with my Ermax  6' 1" 34" inseam  220ish lbs

https://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-High-Screen-Windshield-for-Yamaha-FJ-09_p_5371.html

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
I've been pretty happy with my Ermax  6' 1" 34" inseam  220ish lbs 

https://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-High-Screen-Windshield-for-Yamaha-FJ-09_p_5371.html
My friend has the same screen on his FJ.  I am the exact same dimensions as you and I really liked the screen. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hey guys, so I'm another one who's having a real tough time with the wind buffeting after 100 kmph. It becomes unbearable and here in Dubai the wind is extremely strong on the highways, which is what most of the roads are! I have a Nolan and a Shoei NXR (RF1200) and I use earplugs with both, the Shoei is superloud because of the ventilation. I can't even hear my Sena Bluetooth at max volume on the highway! 
I tried all 3 height settings with the stock screen, also removed the screen and nothing really worked. Removing the screen moved the windblast from the ear level to the chest and made the torso sort of an airbrake. The noise kinda changed but after 120kmph it wasn't much different.

I'm 6'1" 200 lbs with slightly more in legs than torso and from what I've read, different screens have varying results for tall & short riders so can someone with similar dimensions please suggest an aftermarket screen?
The great problem with this sort of enquiry, not that it shouldn't be asked, is that one man's meat is very much another man's poison when it comes to such things - seats are another good example.   It's so totally subjective that others' findings and opinions are often of little value, although always of interest.  F'rinstance, I find the stock screen perfectly OK, while many, if not most, others do not (I'm 5'9" and-a-bit/ 177cm tall, and have 32" inseam).   
But I recently fitted a cheap E Bay 'double-bubble' screen only because it looks good, is a bit more rigid, and was very cheap at around AUD$37 IIRC.   I found it gave a little less buffeting than stock, not that stock had ever bothered me in that regard... FWIW smiley.png

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

My Fj09 friends, So far anything stock or named Yamaha has not been of much value to us Riders, just a Barn Door effect windshields which really do nothing but block the wind at lower speeds will all Buffett at higher speeds all of them. My firm recommendation is to use the "Madstad" windshield and it is the only one which directs the airflow beneath the windshield and above the windshield and can be directed over your head, it is not a barn door style windshield it is a aerodynamic design piece of technology that I will vouch for does work and there is no buffeting up to 100 miles an hour.

I agree totally. Mine works so well. I found the best position for me is all the way up and forward. That will deflect the airstream up and over your helmet. I'm 5'8" and bought the 20" shield and can see over the top no problem. Clean air and no buffetting at 80 mph go buy it.

Thanks @fddriver2 and @betoney for your suggestions! I really like the Ermax screen from what I see- the design is great and the height seems just about right, however the feedback is divided on this one- I've read many comments from users who are 6 feet that the screen doesn't perform much better than stock, some say they get almost same level of buffeting and noise!
In fact in the motomachines link, the 1st comment from Michael Jean (6 ft) says it's not tall enough, others too say it cuts down a little and not as much as they hoped :(

The great problem with this sort of enquiry, not that it shouldn't be asked, is that one man's meat is very much another man's poison when it comes to such things - seats are another good example.   It's so totally subjective that others' findings and opinions are often of little value, although always of interest.  F'rinstance, I find the stock screen perfectly OK, while many, if not most, others do not (I'm 5'9" and-a-bit/ 177cm tall, and have 32" inseam).   
But I recently fitted a cheap E Bay 'double-bubble' screen only because it looks good, is a bit more rigid, and was very cheap at around AUD$37 IIRC.   I found it gave a little less buffeting than stock, not that stock had ever bothered me in that regard... FWIW smiley.png
Exactly! Which makes this accessory the toughest of all to choose. I'm okay with wind being present (not trying to turn it into a Goldwing), it's just a question of directing it away from the head and shoulder area that's the holy grail we look for. 

@Joeldude and @patkin- I know the Madstad is well-engineered, got the best reviews and guess it's the only fully adjustable aftermarket one, but that design and size are a deal-breaker for me. It's overbearing size looks like a riot shield on the bike (and the fact that the FJ has this narrow, pointy front end doesn't help) so it's not my 1st choice right now. 

I've been going through the pages of this thread and based on the reviews of taller riders I've voted the CalSci, Givi, Ermax down. I feel that instead of going for a shorty (which I don't prefer) or a massive barn-door size, a mid-large size with a Puig/MRA/Givi deflector lip is the best solution. For me, the wind rushing in from the sides of the stock screen is a major issue and the new screen needs to be wide to cover those areas, which is why just the deflector over stock screen won't work.

it seems to be you need a few windscreens to deal with the riding season depending on location... for me early spring to early summer the stock works fine...summer months I dont use any windscreen as I find the ride less noisy...then as fall really hits I use the Givi windscreen as it blocks alot if the cold wind here in Michigan...

I find using a tall windscreen like the Givi to actually act as a "speaker" directing sound right at me, I prefer to run with out my exhaust baffle but when I put the Givi windscreen on and forget to put the exhaust baffle in, I gotta stop and turn my hearing aides off as its race bike loud compared to not using the Givi windscreen...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

This is what I ended up doing. A MRA screen with the MRA blade And I like the way it works.... I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. 
20160919_141333_zps0hsngfuw.jpg

20160919_141318_zpsdsowpbrg.jpg
Hey man, I see that you've been using an MRA screen with the spoiler. I'm the same dimensions as you, so it would really help if you give me detailed feedback - how's the wind buffeting and noise? How much improvement over stock? Which areas does it redirect wind to? 
Thanks in advance! :)

• Premium Member
This is what I ended up doing. A MRA screen with the MRA blade And I like the way it works.... I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. 
20160919_141333_zps0hsngfuw.jpg

20160919_141318_zpsdsowpbrg.jpg
Hey man, I see that you've been using an MRA screen with the spoiler. I'm the same dimensions as you, so it would really help if you give me detailed feedback - how's the wind buffeting and noise? How much improvement over stock? Which areas does it redirect wind to? 

Thanks in advance! smiley.png

I really liked that MRA especially here in south Florida. Being a smaller screen I found it moved the air up off my shoulders and it really smoothed it out so there was less buffeting at the helmet. I put the wing on it because I tend to take longer trips and lately been on more highways and faced some bad weather. It worked fine but I'm not convinced the wing made a huge difference. It definitely helped but I decided I needed a bit more screen in front of me see page 39 for the link to the Motomachines tall Ermax.  
I'm pretty sure no matter what you choose it will be better than the stock one.

Good luck...b7e6e8fa8e7cf4178e956fa62395d988.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

Thanks in advance! smiley.png

I really liked that MRA especially here in south Florida. Being a smaller screen I found it moved the air up off my shoulders and it really smoothed it out so there was less buffeting at the helmet. I put the wing on it because I tend to take longer trips and lately been on more highways and faced some bad weather. It worked fine but I'm not convinced the wing made a huge difference. It definitely helped but I decided I needed a bit more screen in front of me see page 39 for the link to the Motomachines tall Ermax.  
I'm pretty sure no matter what you choose it will be better than the stock one.

Good luck...b7e6e8fa8e7cf4178e956fa62395d988.jpg
Retrying picture6eac51667b9a262f0b44c7cf19d06790.jpg

Great! thanks @fddriver2 ! Beautiful picture there.

After going through all the tens of pages and hundreds of posts I narrowed down to the Puig touring and Parabellum. I think the Parabellum touring screen is the right one for me- http://parabellum.com/FJ-09-Replacement-Touring-Windshield-P124.aspx and works out cheaper as for my height I'll have to shell out extra for the Puig spoiler add-on

Here's my new Isotta high windscreen: 
4c3df3477594908.jpg 22d9da477594909.jpg 10f6c9477594910.jpg
You also need a kit of a couple of brackets (and 4 bolts) which makes the original fixing more stable.

75euros for the shield + 20euros for the brackets kit.

No need to remove the hand guards.

Very very well made, 6mm thickness, strong enough to remain stable even at 150-160kph, even with the MRA XCreen deflector, no vision distortions, easy mounting.

It reduces A LOT the turbulences from the air flux, i can stay with the helmet visor open at over 100kph with no problems.

I think it's not so ugly and integrates well with the bike's style.
Hey @filo79, I went through your Isotta screen post- looks great. What's your height and how's the wind noise at different speeds? Is the height still adjustable using their brackets over the stock mounting? How does it perform without the MRA spoiler? Thank you if you can answer these for me :) 

Exactly! Which makes this accessory the toughest of all to choose. I'm okay with wind being present (not trying to turn it into a Goldwing), it's just a question of directing it away from the head and shoulder area that's the holy grail we look for. 
@joeldude and @patkin - I know the Madstad is well-engineered, got the best reviews and guess it's the only fully adjustable aftermarket one, but that design and size are a deal-breaker for me. It's overbearing size looks like a riot shield on the bike (and the fact that the FJ has this narrow, pointy front end doesn't help) so it's not my 1st choice right now. 

I'll take function over something that just looks "cool" anyday course I'm 64 yo and definitely beyond the "cool" days anyway lol.

No way you're going to get the air over your head with anything shorter or being able to change the angle more upright.

Hope you don't spend too much $$ in your quest.

Thanks @patkin and @piotrek for your advice! I've gone with the Parabellum touring screen in the Large size (26") with tint, the guys at Parabellum are really responsive and advised I get the Large for my height (would have gove for the M otherwise), just hoping I don't have trouble adjusting to the visibility!

Now just sitting back and waiting for Santa to deliver it before I go for the holidays! :))

• 2 months later...
Here's my new Isotta high windscreen: 
4c3df3477594908.jpg 22d9da477594909.jpg 10f6c9477594910.jpg
You also need a kit of a couple of brackets (and 4 bolts) which makes the original fixing more stable.

75euros for the shield + 20euros for the brackets kit.

No need to remove the hand guards.

Very very well made, 6mm thickness, strong enough to remain stable even at 150-160kph, even with the MRA XCreen deflector, no vision distortions, easy mounting.

It reduces A LOT the turbulences from the air flux, i can stay with the helmet visor open at over 100kph with no problems.

I think it's not so ugly and integrates well with the bike's style.
Hey @filo79 , I went through your Isotta screen post- looks great. What's your height and how's the wind noise at different speeds? Is the height still adjustable using their brackets over the stock mounting? How does it perform without the MRA spoiler? Thank you if you can answer these for me smiley.png

Sorry for my delay in answering you, i've had some problems with my ADSL at home and now in my office this website is being blocked ...

I'm 183cm tall, i ride with seat in low position and screen in high position, the wind noise with the combo Isotta + MRA XScreen is a LOT less than with the stock screen or even with only the Isotta.
You can adjust the MRA in a ton of ways and it changes a lot the way the air hits you (i've a Shark Speed-R helmet , it's not a very good touring helmet, it's very firm in the air with his flap on the back, but it's not very quiet, expecially on the left side, because of the sunvisor lever), now i can ride up to 100km/h with the helmet visor up, no turbulences, not much noise (but also not very cool air during the hot season ! Argh... i've a BKS Silverstone leather jacket and it's has full vented chest, no more "free air conditioning" during summer...sigh..it's the price for the silence!)

It's not for sure a full tourister now, it's not a BMW RT or similar , but now i can stand to highway transfers without suffering head shaking and wind roaring.