FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

Put my Ermax on and rode to work today. Here are my observations: Light black is very dark, like limo tint 5%, but still able to view through it.
The screen is very stable at speed and looks great.
If you are over 5'8", you may need something taller.
I am 6' and will be taking the screen off tonight after only one ride.
Way to loud and head buffeting for my height.
Hoping to sell to someone local (20% off of what I paid) so shipping does not kill me.
Any interest?

That sux, I know you were really looking forward to receiving this screen. :(

Back to the CalSci?

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Put my Ermax on and rode to work today. Here are my observations: Light black is very dark, like limo tint 5%, but still able to view through it.
The screen is very stable at speed and looks great.
If you are over 5'8", you may need something taller.
I am 6' and will be taking the screen off tonight after only one ride.
Way to loud and head buffeting for my height.
Hoping to sell to someone local (20% off of what I paid) so shipping does not kill me.
Any interest?

That sux, I know you were really looking forward to receiving this screen. :( 
Back to the CalSci?

Ty

For now. I really liked the look of the Ermax, but.... 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
So, an update on the Powerbronze screen (as reviewed here) after a longish ride yesterday. I find this screen very good still.

There is one annoyance, not so much for me but might be significant for others.

I have the screen in the upper position. As you get towards 50mph the screen starts to oscillate. At 55mph this generates a noise which begins to dissipate at 60mph. By 70mph the screen is pushed back by the airflow and stops oscillating. Not a big problem for me. My journeys are around town and on single track mountain roads at lower speeds or in open countryside above that range.

If YMV so that you spend a lot of time in the 50-70 range, perhaps on a commute over urban dual carriageways with speed cameras, then this might annoy you.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I was able to get out yesterday with my new ermax touring windscreen. I am not at all impressed. I am 5'8" and got buffing at the high setting with alot of noise. Middle setting not much buffing but still noisey. Low better but still not impressed.
I also bought the short ermax sport screen and tried it out on a short run. I like it much better but will see how it does on the freeway.

• Premium Member
Perhaps people could arrange some sort of gathering locally where people could try the screen options on their bike. It takes but a minute to swap a screen. At the meeting in Oxford, UK we had bikes with the stock screen, the Powerbronze and the Ermax. I would be more than happy for someone to borrow my Powerbronze screen for an hour or so to test it in a variety of conditions.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wessie,
it would also greatly help if members mention their height (metric or imperial), the seat position & the screen (1 being the lowest, 3 being the highest of 3) position.
Please gents.
Perhaps Wessie, a table could be created to assist others in determining which aftermarket or Y brand product would best suit.
Naturally, members opinions & reviews are always gratefully accepted.
After reading your review of the Powerbronze, I'm afraid that most if not all screens will oscillate since the attachments are narrow & low. No matter how curved the upper surface is, the bending is happening down low.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Steve

• Premium Member
Wessie, it would also greatly help if members mention their height (metric or imperial), the seat position & the screen (1 being the lowest, 3 being the highest of 3) position.
Please gents.
Perhaps Wessie, a table could be created to assist others in determining which aftermarket or Y brand product would best suit.
Naturally, members opinions & reviews are always gratefully accepted.
After reading your review of the Powerbronze, I'm afraid that most if not all screens will oscillate since the attachments are narrow & low. No matter how curved the upper surface is, the bending is happening down low.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Steve
I think you have just volunteered to solicit owners for the data, collate and analyse the data and publish the results in tabular form.

Congratulation. You are now the official Screen Monitor. 

Could you please work to 31st May 2015 as the deadline for this project. 

On behalf of the Forum Staff I thankyou for your commitment to support the community.

• Premium Member
While we are waiting for the comprehensive data sheet from Tracerforme, has anyone tried the Puig add-on adjustable screen that fits to the existing screen, either on the Tracer or another bike?

I see they list one for the Tracer. They also have other bits and bobs like mirrors and pegs if you are that way inclined.

• Premium Member
help me out here. is the stock screen really that bad?
We are all different. You will only find out if you ride the bike as there are many variables including your physical dimensions, your helmet choice, your riding style, your choice of ear plug, your tolerance of noise and your tolerance of wind.

Many are happy with the stock screen. Others have found another type more suitable. You just have to suck it and see. 

Depends on who you ask.

Some people are surprised to be hit with wind when riding a motorcycle.

Some people get a motorcycle to feel the wind.

Some even remove the the screen on their bike.

Buying and riding bikes was so much easier before the days of internet forums cause we didn't know what was wrong with our bikes, we just rode the piss outta them. GuOyWyY.gif

• Premium Member
Depends on who you ask.  
Some people are surprised to be hit with wind when riding a motorcycle.

Some people get a motorcycle to feel the wind.

Some even remove the the screen on their bike.

Buying and riding bikes was so much easier before the days of internet forums cause we didn't know what was wrong with our bikes, we just rode the piss outta them. GuOyWyY.gif

and who's fault is it that the world is spammed with loads of motorcycling forums, eh?