FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

MRA X-Creen Sport model
[span]    I[/span]t's surprisingly effective on the FJ. I am 5'10" using an Arai RX-Q with the stock seat and the air just barely grazes the top of my head with no head-shaking turbulence(highest setting). If I was a couple inches shorter I would be in the dead quiet zone, however I think it's perfect if you're still wanting air to enter your helmet's top vents. I've crusied at about 80MPH and it shakes a little but nothing to indicate that its too flimsy. If you're sensitive to wind noise, I'd say <60MPH you would probably be comfortable with no earplugs. Kouba ME-2 mirror extenders are also featured.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/2CB3A3E6-0744-4120-A442-DA0BF346FAB6_zpstfurqjao.jpg
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/712A7A61-1EAF-4B05-90AA-B9D90327ECB3_zpsm5un5brl.jpg

I had a long post about the Windscreen and some how deleted it just as I was finishing up on it.  I may get back to it, but here is a picture of dimensions you can develop with your new screen that will help others make decisions.

Dni2Sud.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I went to Magstad on Tuesday to get a screen for my new FJ09.  I asked him about the FZ mount.  They are different.  

The front part of the hand guards are too wide to accommodate a touring shield.  The front section is easily removed.  Magstad provides plugs that cover the screw holes, once removed.  Once I have enough posts to allow photos, I will  post photos of the shield and mounts.  I have ridden about 200 miles with the 22" shield and really like it.

john

• Premium Member
I went to Magstad on Tuesday to get a screen for my new FJ09.  I asked him about the FZ mount.  They are different.   
The front part of the hand guards are too wide to accommodate a touring shield.  The front section is easily removed.  Magstad provides plugs that cover the screw holes, once removed.  Once I have enough posts to allow photos, I will  post photos of the shield and mounts.  I have ridden about 200 miles with the 22" shield and really like it.

john
Send me the link(s), I will post them. deal_zpsdqn2guio.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have a Powerbronze tall screen now - works well. Review 

British made but they have an international network
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

MRA X-Creen Sport model [span]    I[/span]t's surprisingly effective on the FJ. I am 5'10" using an Arai RX-Q with the stock seat and the air just barely grazes the top of my head with no head-shaking turbulence(highest setting). If I was a couple inches shorter I would be in the dead quiet zone, however I think it's perfect if you're still wanting air to enter your helmet's top vents. I've crusied at about 80MPH and it shakes a little but nothing to indicate that its too flimsy. If you're sensitive to wind noise, I'd say <60MPH you would probably be comfortable with no earplugs. Kouba ME-2 mirror extenders are also featured.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/2CB3A3E6-0744-4120-A442-DA0BF346FAB6_zpstfurqjao.jpg
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/hoppygearhead/712A7A61-1EAF-4B05-90AA-B9D90327ECB3_zpsm5un5brl.jpg

Is this the stock screen with that added extension on it?

• Premium Member
@motomachines - Got my clear Ermax Touring Screen in the mail today! AWESOME!!! It's beautiful! Fits perfectly, great design...I couldn't be happier. This is the screen that will stay on my bike. Yes, those are the LED lights installed on the hand guards. Love 'em.

IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

@motomachines - Got my clear Ermax Touring Screen in the mail today! AWESOME!!! It's beautiful! Fits perfectly, great design...I couldn't be happier. This is the screen that will stay on my bike. Yes, those are the LED lights installed on the hand guards. Love 'em.
I take it it's a lot quieter than stock on the highway? Stock screen works ok for me, just noisy.

Source  for LEDs on handguards, or did I miss it?

Thx, 

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I take it it's a lot quieter than stock on the highway? Stock screen works ok for me, just noisy. 
Source  for LEDs on handguards, or did I miss it?

Thx, 

Ty

I also have the Ermax touring screen and I've put about 400 freeway miles on it at speeds well above 70 mph commuting to work . I have to say it isnt any quieter than the stock screen , but it is so much more comfortable thru the wind . No more body buffetting when following large SUVs or vans . Riding into headwinds is also alot easier and less stress on my neck and shoulders . I would deffinitly buy the ermax again . 

Ordered the OEM windscreen as well.  Like how it is wider from top to bottom and taller than the stock windscreen.  The Calsi looks attractive with the V shape bottom, but experience with many bikes and screens taught me that looks don't make it work better.  I'm trusting the Yamaha engineers that the Touring screen will have better air protection.  Will be using my FJ as a commuter 70% of the time with mostly freeway riding.  Air protection and heated grips are a must in the Winter (sometimes in the late Fall and early Spring).

• Premium Member
If you want to cut down the noise at motorway cruising speeds and are under 6 foot (1.83m) tall then the Powerbronze screen I have is the one to go for, set in the high position. As stated in that thread, if you can adjust a screen so the top is around 7" (18cm) below your eyeline then this may be the height to get optimal airflow. This is only a hypothesis based on a single datum, so some way to go before it can be called the wessie Law of Physics...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm not sure which way I'm going, but I know I have to do something. Just coming home from the dealer yesterday (seat low, shield high), I was getting an incredible amount of wind roar - enough to make me question the bike as a good choice, and I was wearing a very aerodynamic helmet (Shoei X-12). The cruiser I came out of (with zero wind protection) seems silent by comparison. I changed the seat to high today and will try again to see if it makes a difference, and also will play with the shield height. I'm 6'0" and need to figure this out like yesterday. Love everything else, btw. Just gotta get this worked out. :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Guest bmidd
I'm not sure which way I'm going, but I know I have to do something. Just coming home from the dealer yesterday (seat low, shield high), I was getting an incredible amount of wind roar - enough to make me question the bike as a good choice, and I was wearing a very aerodynamic helmet (Shoei X-12). The cruiser I came out of (with zero wind protection) seems silent by comparison. I changed the seat to high today and will try again to see if it makes a difference, and also will play with the shield height. I'm 6'0" and need to figure this out like yesterday. Love everything else, btw. Just gotta get this worked out. :)

Do you have another helmet you can try also? While your X12 is very aerodynamic, it is developed and made to be its most efficient in a forward slanted riding position,as in riding a sport bike. When I wore my X12 on my FZ1,it produced higher than normal sound levels and less efficient venting than a more touring oriented helmet. I suffered little to no noise on my R1 and could feel individual hairs moving from the air flow. One of my Fz's was naked and the other had a windscreen, the naked always had less noise and buffeting.

I'd thought of that, too. Haven't tried anything else yet - I have about 5 to choose from. I like helmets. :) Tomorrow I'll try an Icon and see what happens.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)