FJ-09 windshield options

rusty_spoke

• Premium Member
I'm not sure which way I'm going, but I know I have to do something. Just coming home from the dealer yesterday (seat low, shield high), I was getting an incredible amount of wind roar - enough to make me question the bike as a good choice, and I was wearing a very aerodynamic helmet (Shoei X-12). The cruiser I came out of (with zero wind protection) seems silent by comparison. I changed the seat to high today and will try again to see if it makes a difference, and also will play with the shield height. I'm 6'0" and need to figure this out like yesterday. Love everything else, btw. Just gotta get this worked out. :)
I am also 6' and find the wind noise much lower with the Calscience windscreen all the way up with the seat in the lower position. I receive my new Ermax Touring Screen tomorrow and will post up a comparison. Light  black by the way. I will post up pictures also. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Egg-sucking 101 - but here goes; IMHO, decent ear-plus are a [em]must[/em] when riding any bike. The difference they make can be astounding.
L of S

Egg-sucking 101 - but here goes; IMHO, decent ear-plus are a [em]must[/em] when riding any bike. The difference they make can be astounding. L of S

And I do usually wear earplugs when I'm going to be doing highway speeds... But I'm still aware of the roar.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

@motomachines - Got my clear Ermax Touring Screen in the mail today! AWESOME!!! It's beautiful! Fits perfectly, great design...I couldn't be happier. This is the screen that will stay on my bike. Yes, those are the LED lights installed on the hand guards. Love 'em. 
IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG

Just fitted same screen looks great and works well much stiffer than standard screen  

Why motorcyclists try and escape the wind is beyond me. You are on a motorcycle riding through the elements. The Goldwing touring screen buffets and it's as big as a barn door. Embrace and enjoy it.
Helmets are designed for clean air. My best results are with a short screen or none at all. I am spoiled with a warmer climate most of the time but have been forced to do ice, snow and hail with the shorter screens. I hate the buffet issue in freeway traffic, the FJ stock screen is bad there.
Tons of good screen feedback here, I will try the Ermax and Copperdawg from your reviews, thanks so much.

I can't stress the need for hearing protection while riding enough, any prolonged noise at that frequency catches up to you when you age. Some loss is natural after 45, don't make it worse. Music is good.

• Premium Member
Why motorcyclists try and escape the wind is beyond me. You are on a motorcycle riding through the elements. The Goldwing touring screen buffets and it's as big as a barn door. Embrace and enjoy it. Helmets are designed for clean air. My best results are with a short screen or none at all. 

My first motorcycle was a cruiser and I bought a giant windscreen.  I rapidly found that crosswinds made it unstable, and since it was above eye level the rain made it quite difficult to see. 
Since that time I've preferred enough windshield to take the air off my chest, but to leave my head out in clean air.  Most sportbike windshields, tiny as they are, do this pretty well.

Having said that, when the temperatures are in the mid-30s and it's raining like hell I don't mind something with a little more coverage.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Guest bmidd
Why motorcyclists try and escape the wind is beyond me. You are on a motorcycle riding through the elements. The Goldwing touring screen buffets and it's as big as a barn door. Embrace and enjoy it. Helmets are designed for clean air. My best results are with a short screen or none at all. I am spoiled with a warmer climate most of the time but have been forced to do ice, snow and hail with the shorter screens. I hate the buffet issue in freeway traffic, the FJ stock screen is bad there.
Tons of good screen feedback here, I will try the Ermax and Copperdawg from your reviews, thanks so much.

I can't stress the need for hearing protection while riding enough, any prolonged noise at that frequency catches up to you when you age. Some loss is natural after 45, don't make it worse. Music is good.

I agree and I may take my screen off this weekend and see how it does. I like naked bikes and don't mind the wind on the helmet, it's the bobble head buffeting that is so bad. My last FZ1 went naked and had the cleanest air of the two FZ's I owned.  Naked vs Faired

DSC_0659_zpsb0818963.jpg

100_0381.jpg

I agree with JimF... I don't mind some wind, and I don't mind it aimed at my head. But having it off the chest is a godsend on a long trip. And while I don't mind the wind, I do mind disproportionate wind roar and buffeting, so I'm trying to find some cleaner air in which my helmet (and head and neck) can be happier.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Guest bmidd
Nice FZ's ! The naked conversion is still one of my favorite bike looks. 
Ordered the Cal-Sci shorty today, the bobble head syndrome will be defeated and that's the first step.
Thanks!! I still catch grief from PJ and mikec426 on the forums because I sold the silver bike and forgot to take off one of the only 2 sets of Rizoma front brake caliper guards known to exist.Ever. 
I experimented today and have come away with an interesting result, I raised my seat to the high position and put the windscreen in both the upper and lower position and significantly improved the buffeting. The only change being the seat height really surprised me. Please let me know how you like the shorty, it may be the one I purchase soon.

• Premium Member
It was the noise that bothered me more than anything. Some airflow is good especially if it's warm as my helmet has loads of vents that won't work if your head is not in the breeze. I do like to be able to turn my head to one side when it rains and watch water zip off which needs a decent air flow.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just received my Ermax Touring screen today.
Excellent packaging. Made it to Canada without a scuff:
AFA5C855-7447-4FA2-B5F6-BB2606D1181E_zps9vg55h4d.jpg

Size compare with OEM screen:
1BDABE31-9FA2-46B1-8BE7-C8092CDB6856_zpsvlgjnj66.jpg

Angle shot:
C9798FE4-46B2-4B80-8CB9-0C7AF0EC5027_zpsqyih3vst.jpg

Riders position:
4FCB7BD7-080C-40BE-A991-85348C5070B8_zpsjpjiicst.jpg

Photos with screen in high position. I then lowered to medium and low to check for clearance issues. Cleared the hand guards without issue. I had to adjust my left mirror stalk just a bit and I have full clearance. The style is excellent to my eyes. Now I have to just ride it. I am 5'7" so it will be interesting to see how it works out for buffeting and wind noise. Hoping for similar performance to my departed Super Tenere with OEM shield and Madstad bracket or better. It is a Quality product.

Nice FZ's ! The naked conversion is still one of my favorite bike looks. 
Ordered the Cal-Sci shorty today, the bobble head syndrome will be defeated and that's the first step.
Thanks!! I still catch grief from PJ and mikec426 on the forums because I sold the silver bike and forgot to take off one of the only 2 sets of Rizoma front brake caliper guards known to exist.Ever. 

You WHAT ??  Knucklehead.....   I'll report on the shorty. 

I did not like the high seat position but only tried it for 3 miles. Nice to have that option.

• Premium Member
Put my Ermax on and rode to work today. Here are my observations:
Light black is very dark, like limo tint 5%, but still able to view through it.
The screen is very stable at speed and looks great.
If you are over 5'8", you may need something taller.
I am 6' and will be taking the screen off tonight after only one ride.
Way to loud and head buffeting for my height.
Hoping to sell to someone local (20% off of what I paid) so shipping does not kill me.
Any interest?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Sorry it did not work out, I assume you are talking about the touring screen. I always thought the vents and their size were the hot ticket for tuning out the vacume. I experimented with the FJR, gave up and went short, got the wax ear plugs.

The next owner will enjoy it.