Corbin Seat on the Way

Let us know how the seat feels after a long ride, and post some pics if you can. I'm really curious to see how you like it, and maybe let us know your height and weight, I'm about 5'11 220 and the seat seems to be getting worse by the day.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will do. Unfortunately, the are taking much longer to finish than their estimate. They also told me they are using the Gunfighter and Lady design. I pickup on 6/16 then I can start sharing. The stock seat is pretty bad.

This seat issue is a pain...literally. I am sure at some point there will be a decent aftermarket seat. I have had Corbins that I liked. Hopefully others will be available as well.

The Harley guys get all the options. LOL.

I was never a fan of the stock seat and found the the replacements quite expensive, so I gave an upgrade to the stock a chance, and very glad I did. I went to my local store for horse riding equipment and bought a gel pad for a horse saddle. Pic in the link.
http://www.hooks.se/produkt/gelpad/48152/48153/

The cover from the front seat is easily removed by attacking the staples with a screwdriver and a flat head plier. When removed, place the gel pad on the foam and use a scissor to cut the edges so it matches the seat, and then put the cover back on by using a staples gun. Result: the seat is much more comfy now! Best 35 bucks I have spent on the bike so far.

I was never a fan of the stock seat and found the the replacements quite expensive, so I gave an upgrade to the stock a chance, and very glad I did. I went to my local store for horse riding equipment and bought a gel pad for a horse saddle. Pic in the link. http://www.hooks.se/produkt/gelpad/48152/48153/

The cover from the front seat is easily removed by attacking the staples with a screwdriver and a flat head plier. When removed, place the gel pad on the foam and use a scissor to cut the edges so it matches the seat, and then put the cover back on by using a staples gun. Result: the seat is much more comfy now! Best 35 bucks I have spent on the bike so far.
Very clever!  I love it.... 

I will also be looking forward to seeing what Corbin comes up with.  I have an old one on an '84 Honda that I really like.

In the meantime I went the DIY route and carved down the seat foam to flatten out the ridge on top, and even dish it slightly.  It's not perfect, but way better than stock.  I ended up taking enough foam out that even at 5'7" I moved the seat into the high position to maintain the footpeg-seat-bar relationship that I find very comfortable.

Alright, Corbin is in the FJ-09 business as of today!  I spent much of the day looking at the prototype and creating my own custom seat.   Mike Corbin spent some time with me and let me know he loves the FJ-09 and thinks it looks good.  He thought my design complemented the red model well.  Following are some pics of my bike in the garage and one of Corbin's pictures.  

I will give a full review in a few days.  50 mi summary: seat is no lower than stock high.  Seat pan is a much more firm fit on the frame.  Wider and much better shape in general.  Form is much firmer than stock.   Material is 10x better than stock.  I'm not sure if I got the shape right, but maybe the edges just need to break in a bit more.    So far, better than stock and much, much higher quality and confident seat.

The prototype seat in the Corbin photo shoot

mQrBO8mUOD912UIk1lfXG-qjNQ-GcFuwCpVyr0B1MsI=w833-h571-no

I decided to change the leather to a carbon fiber print, darken the red piping, and change the stitch pattern to a more aggressive angular design.  My seat also includes heat. The result is a pretty nice match.

Photos of my Custom Pattern

DxDWDCM1I1yhDYKloAEyXcm8H1xp_nWx1IOD_lJeJoU=w1079-h719-no
i_7UpdhvEk1G-sm_Mv3kP7zDq0ZhlscPG9eZnfAnNK4=w1079-h719-no4FYuM7Wtx_7aIbxW1Ov9L2f81Iicx1EBI25d2_z2aIg=w1079-h719-nooB8NYGXPwtRpxHzDTYwCxAmEJUe3sZOztikZ9WWKJn4=w1279-h719-noabLBmuDkBzm_XNQJ0mfHzYyb8X6k6lxBsYrgA82magc=w1279-h719-no

Archived