Corbin Seat on the Way

That seat looks really good.  I have had 4 seats done in the carbon fiber material and have had good experiences with each of them.  It looks like the newest version of the material is slightly different, but should deliver the same good performance.  It's always fun to talk to Mike when you visit.  He really has a passion for the motorcycle community and it shows.  I'm looking forward to my ride-in.  Just a few weeks away...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like the pillion section is significantly wider than the stocker... is that right?

And it's one piece... how easy is it to get on/off the bike?

Shape looks good, though. I'm guessing this will be a $450 seat, + $100 for heated, judging by other models.

Probably, I'll have time over the next couple of days to shoot more pics, dimensions, etc.  For sure, the pillion has a more comfortable space.  The optional backrest and glovebox will be very helpful.

Ease of on/off is good. 

It looks great, congrats on being smart enough to get it for free!  Question:  As someone else stated it's clearly a one-piece seat vs. the two pieces of the stock seats.  How did they modify the latching mechanisms, if at all?   Do they use the same latching as the two piece seats? Thanks...

That is great. I have owned two Corbins. The key is prevention of the squashed jewels. Not sure a wider seat is better?? But I am not a seat guru. If this works out, tell Mr. Corbin I will place an order. I like that one piece seat. Sweet.

This seat looks good for those who consider the FJ to be a touring bike. For those like me who treat it like a sport bike you can occasionally tour with, this is a bit overkill and looks out of place.

The back end of my bike is all cleaned up with no grab rails or bag mounts, so the height and girth of this seat wouldn't look right without all the back end hardware attached.

But like I said, if you're touring all the time, this looks like the bees knees.

If you want to get it, and save $100 on the heat, may I suggest the ride n' fart technique? :D

Great!  I can't wait to see yours.  Are you going down to the Hollister Appreciation Days?  Mike encouraged me to come even with the metric bike minority. 
 I usually go down for that event.  Pretty much a mini one day Sturgis, but a lot of different bikes show up. But this year I have to work, so I will be going down after they get back to normal.

Interesting thought on the "sportiness" of the seat.  I think I agree as this is a heavier, bigger seat overall.  With that said, when I was pounding the twisties this evening around the Bay Area the seat felt much more solid and I felt more connected to the bike.  Under a heavy dose of A mode acceleration, this feels like a jet seat.  You're locked in and solidly attached. 

I do think that mine needs some more shaping so I'll probably take it back for some adjustment, but the serious pressure points are gone.  Two 50 miles days back to back and no pain.

Here is the seat in a more normal perspective

-nSI0l1Gs1QIu9RJgGVEg_Rq5y4OcPZpcg7p3P_yId0=w1200-h675-no

Very interested in how the back rest is attached. Been looking for one for a while.
I had a similar seat on my 1st Gen FZ-1. It had an Allen set screw under the seat that allowed the backrest to be removed and installed pretty quickly. My wife loved the backrest! I'm broke; I can't show her the new Corbin ;-) 
Brian

• Premium Member
I like the looks of the seat!  I have over 100,000 miles on the Corbin for my ST1100 and it's still completely comfortable for as many long distance days as I can afford to take (the foam is still perfect, though it is time to replace the seat cover).  My wife also loves the seat comfort and the security of the back rest. 

I don't have a problem with the seat becoming a one piece, but I am curious about the weight of the seat.  You mention it's heavier than stock (not a surprise), and I'm curious to know how much heavier.  Have you weighed the seat (sans back-rest for better comparison)?  Do you notice anything (aside from some shape tweaking) that you consider a negative?

I'll be checking the Corbin website to see what this thing will cost.

Thanks for going thru the process of getting it done!

Archived