Strange Vibrationzzzz

As far as an ecu flash effecting vibrations, I recently bought the Flashtune cable/software and after the first 100km ride I do notice the engine is noticeably smoother. One thing that was interesting is the "ignition offset" tables. In some areas, there were large differences (as much as 6 degrees) in timing between cylinders. I have noticed this in other bike maps before, but not as dramatic. There are a few reasons for having an offset, but the "unlimited" map that is found on the Flashtune server has this feature zeroed out. Perhaps this combined with a slight enrichment in fueling results in everything running more ideally. I did remove the hand guards and add steel bar ends as well. In any case, the bike has never felt this smooth.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I took it in for the 600 mi check yesterday and mentioned the vibes. The tech said he has ridden the R6 and other cross-plane bikes and said he has felt the same thing.  Then he rode mine and confirmed it was the same vibe as the other models.  He said he would send a complaint to Yamaha on-line tech support and let know what they say. I also mentioned that at a constant speed, the bikes surges like its misfiring.  I thought maybe a TB sync would help.  The tech rode and felt the same thing, especially at lower speeds in any gear.  He suggested it might be lean fueling to meet EPA requirements but would submit the compliant to the Yamaha on-line tech support.
FYI.  Even though the owners manual says a throttle body sync should be done at 600 mi, the dealer's list of required service (as shown on his service dept computer) does NOT include syncing.

The fix to the low speed surging due to EPA laws, is to fool the ECU by changing what the O2 sensor reads v/s the ECU reads. There is a very cool unit from a guy in AU who builds these to allow you to run slightly rich all the time. You get better fuel economy too, since it takes less throttle to maintain the same speed/power. (The engine makes more power.) 14.7:1 is great for the EPA, but the bike makes more power at a richer setting, about 13.2:1 from what I remember.
I have this, and it solved the problem on the FZ09 and now on the FJ09, smooth power while in parking lots and other low speeds, and at a constant 25 to 35mph as well, it no longer surges at all. Guys name is Kevtex. Look him up.

I took it in for the 600 mi check yesterday and mentioned the vibes. The tech said he has ridden the R6 and other cross-plane bikes and said he has felt the same thing.  Then he rode mine and confirmed it was the same vibe as the other models.  He said he would send a complaint to Yamaha on-line tech support and let know what they say. I also mentioned that at a constant speed, the bikes surges like its misfiring.  I thought maybe a TB sync would help.  The tech rode and felt the same thing, especially at lower speeds in any gear.  He suggested it might be lean fueling to meet EPA requirements but would submit the compliant to the Yamaha on-line tech support.
FYI.  Even though the owners manual says a throttle body sync should be done at 600 mi, the dealer's list of required service (as shown on his service dept computer) does NOT include syncing.

The fix to the low speed surging due to EPA laws, is to fool the ECU by changing what the O2 sensor reads v/s the ECU reads. There is a very cool unit from a guy in AU who builds these to allow you to run slightly rich all the time. You get better fuel economy too, since it takes less throttle to maintain the same speed/power. (The engine makes more power.) 14.7:1 is great for the EPA, but the bike makes more power at a richer setting, about 13.2:1 from what I remember.
I have this, and it solved the problem on the FZ09 and now on the FJ09, smooth power while in parking lots and other low speeds, and at a constant 25 to 35mph as well, it no longer surges at all. Guys name is Kevtex. Look him up.

The surging and sputtering at low speeds is definitely fueling, no question. It annoyed me all last season. The O2 controller or an open loop ecu flash will cure this issue.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
Have the TB sync done. I did have my dealer do it at the 600 mile service and it did make a difference in smoothness of the engine.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
just to add my experience to this thread, mine vibrated badly, around 4-5k rpm its bad through the bars, sends hands to sleep, and in general when making the motor work it vibes harshly through the footrests, slackening the chain reduced the footrest vibes a bit and smoothed things out (as did changing to a different brand of oil, less clutch rattle too)

i fitted 30mm bar risers and this helped the bar vibrations, took the handguards off and put some heavy rubber insert steel type Versys 650 bar ends on, and vibes nearly all gone now, these are quite heavy at around 8oz each, i also tried silicone in the bars which made no difference at all.....

annoyingly, the top gear whine drove me nuts between 60-70, then just as that starts to quieten down at over 70, the vibes started in the bars.....!!!

tourer....Yamaha are having a laugh,....only 2k mls so far, i'm hoping it smooths out a bit...

...tourer....Yamaha are having a laugh,....only 2k mls so far, i'm hoping it smooths out a bit...
...sport tourer... I suppose that implies bias toward the fun/sport end of the scale... but seriously, I've learned to not use handlebars at all. It is now, not surprisingly, much smoother and waaay more exciting. 
If you must use the handlebars, have you tried Grip Puppies or some kind of foam slip-ons, in addition to proper bar ends?

yeah,the sport bit is ok.....i didn't think about not using the bars altogether....my solution was a length of string from one end of the bars to the other, and i just hold it in the middle and pull each end to steer.....see how it go's....... 

Hi i,m new to this forum so if i,m asking a question that has been asked before i,ll apologise now, anyway what i would like to know is has anyone experienced bad vibrations through the bars and pegs under heavy acceleration and when at speeds above 80 mph on private roads of course
Posts merged. I just put on heavier bar ends (after removing the handguards) and noticed NO tingling in my hands after my ride this morning. I swapped bikes with Ty and noticed his vibrated twice as much as mine. So long story short, put on heavier bar ends. I used ones from E-bay, but had to drill out the ends to accommodate the stock 10 size bolts. They came with 18mm inserts, which are too big. We need something like 16mm inserts.
ive mentioned elsewhere, i used bar ends off a Versys 650 MK1, they have a rubber bush in the centre, are steel, quite heavy, weigh approx 8oz each, 8mm hex bolt screws straight into centre of inserts in Tracer bars...(with handguards removed)....made a big difference for me... 

• Premium Member
I installed the Rox anti-vibe risers. I wanted risers anyway, because I have alligator arms, so I thought I'd try to knock out some of the vibration while I was at it. They aren't the prettiest things you can put on the bike, but they work amazingly well. They eliminated at least 90% of the vibration. However, I had to order a longer clutch cable from Motion Pro (another $50.) The stock one worked with some rerouting, for a little while, but it was pulled too tight and failed after a few hundred miles.

http://fj-09.org/thread/3925/bar-buzz-bi-solutions?page=5

This thread discusses every idea there is to reduce handle bar vibration.  For me,  ECU reflash by 2WDW, built up hand grips with foam and Vibranators (which may have a long waiting period to get, but this is my 3rd bike with Vibranators) in the handle bars, and 6,000 miles have reduced vibration to insignificant on my bike. Changing the stock chain tensioner with APE manual adjustment also reduced vibration. I did all these things shortly after I bought the bike because it needed them, and was just lucky to find the end result is almost vibration free bike. YMMV.

http://fj-09.org/thread/3925/bar-buzz-bi-solutions?page=5 
This thread discusses every idea there is to reduce handle bar vibration.  For me,  ECU reflash by 2WDW, built up hand grips with foam and Vibranators (which may have a long waiting period to get, but this is my 3rd bike with Vibranators) in the handle bars, and 6,000 miles have reduced vibration to insignificant on my bike. Changing the stock chain tensioner with APE manual adjustment also reduced vibration. I did all these things shortly after I bought the bike because it needed them, and was just lucky to find the end result is almost vibration free bike. YMMV.
what is the "APE" adjuster you are talking about..... 

Changing the stock chain tensioner with APE manual adjustment also reduced vibration. I did all these things shortly after I bought the bike because it needed them, and was just lucky to find the end result is almost vibration free bike. YMMV.
what is the "APE" adjuster you are talking about.....
Wander thru this thread - http://fj-09.org/thread/3832/bulletin-m2016-chain-tensioner-noise 
BTW - the "search" button along the top of the page can be very useful.