Strange Vibrationzzzz

I took it in for the 600 mi check yesterday and mentioned the vibes. The tech said he has ridden the R6 and other cross-plane bikes and said he has felt the same thing.  Then he rode mine and confirmed it was the same vibe as the other models.  He said he would send a complaint to Yamaha on-line tech support and let know what they say. I also mentioned that at a constant speed, the bikes surges like its misfiring.  I thought maybe a TB sync would help.  The tech rode and felt the same thing, especially at lower speeds in any gear.  He suggested it might be lean fueling to meet EPA requirements but would submit the compliant to the Yamaha on-line tech support.
FYI.  Even though the owners manual says a throttle body sync should be done at 600 mi, the dealer's list of required service (as shown on his service dept computer) does NOT include syncing.

I totally have the same thing on my 2017 fz09: vibrations from 4500rpm and misfiring or clutch slipping feeling at constant speed/very light engine load. I am breaking in so not sure if the go vibrations keep going after 5600rpm. 600 miles maintenance coming soon, will definitely address these

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to mention but the R6 is not a crossplane engine. Make sure the tech synched the throttle bodies, it makes a big difference and it's part of service that techs get lazy about. Whether it's in the service list or not it should be done if there is a complaint about vibration.

Here is a sure cure for solving vibration issues. 100% guaranteed! Go to your local Ducati Dealer. Take a Multistrada or Hypermotard for a test drive. Get back on your FJ-09. You will be shocked by how smooth it is and will never complain again.

Have same here. brand new bike, and buzzing vibe starting around 4.0k and constant till a little passed 4.6k. Changed the hand grips to a set of Pro-1's superbike style. Vibes are lessened but not gone. Then brought a new pair of Alpinestar gloves with the extra layers of leather on the palms. That helped some more but, The vibes are still there. I'm guessing it has to do with the metallurgy of the engine being bolted directly to the frame. Could be something as simple as a over/under tightened bolt. lighter density metals are more prone. Now my issue I have with the bike is the loud whine when accelerating in 6th. gear. Which i'll being sharing in another post.

replace the front sprocket for an aftermarket one...the stock one is ment to reduce chain noise but causes more vibrations due to the rubber damping disc...easy $30 fix in my book...

loose hand guards is a big culprit as well as how hard you grip the handlebars...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Have same here. brand new bike, and buzzing vibe starting around 4.0k and constant till a little passed 4.6k. Changed the hand grips to a set of Pro-1's superbike style. Vibes are lessened but not gone. Then brought a new pair of Alpinestar gloves with the extra layers of leather on the palms. That helped some more but, The vibes are still there. I'm guessing it has to do with the metallurgy of the engine being bolted directly to the frame. Could be something as simple as a over/under tightened bolt. lighter density metals are more prone. Now my issue I have with the bike is the loud whine when accelerating in 6th. gear. Which i'll being sharing in another post.
Try fitting Grip Puppies, as many here do.... but be sure they are the original and real GPs, not some skinny useless lookalikes...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

SO easy to fix.

Grip Puppies. Check.
Make sure the bars are tight. Check.
Handguards tight. Check.

Now, hit up WalMart and buy a medium sized bottle of copper coated BB's. (For airguns, cheap and easy to find, you can get the nickle plated ones too, but I like copper.. LOL)

With your bike on the kick stand, turn the wheel/bars so the bar end is as high as you can get it.
remove the end of the bar, but leave the guard bolted to the inner mount. Just push the guard to the side.
Get a paper funnel, or make one with cardstock and tape. Or a plastic funnel if you have one that fits.

Carefully pour in BB's till the bar is full of them. Put a few more in for good measure, and use the bar end to push them tight into the bar. They will settle as you ride, so don't worry about this too much.

Now don't smile too hard, you might break your face while you enjoy your VIBRATION free ride.

Cost is about 5.00 and your time. (And some of the BB' bottles have a funnel tip, but I found them mostly useless...)

Another option that works even better, but is more expensive, is LEAD SHOT. If you reload shotgun shells, you might have lead shot, about #7 or so.. keep it small, but not so small it's powder.... Fill the bars with lead shot, again pack it with the bar end and there you go, even better than BB's. (But about 30.00 if you go buy a bag of lead shot, and then what do you do with the remaining 28lbs of lead you just bought?)

Nice responses! I don't really know if two pounds of lead shot will do it, did not measure it the last time around, but I did used #7 lead shot. It's like little bb's and you can compress them slightly. The bar is heavy with the lead in there compared to without, so it might be more than two pounds? It was just a guess. :)

I filled a protaper bar on my FZ1 with lead. No PC police came to stack up at my door, kick it in, and arrest me for violating lead laws. (But it was not in CA, where everything is known to cause cancer if you feed enough of it to rats in a laboratory.... ;)

And last, I love the idea of selling lead shot with fancy advertising for inflated prices! I could be the next Donald J. Trump that way, with my own private plane and all? (Actually I really like Trump, but making a few million selling lead shot is a nice fantasy right?)

• 2 weeks later...
Same here; Fj-09 2016. Got it at 5,000 kms; the bike was smooth and perfect. When service was done at 8,000 kms, vibrations came out. 4,500 to 5,000 rpms, felt more strongly on hard acceleration, and after the bikes warms up (around 10 minutes after starting up from cold). Two rides already to Yamaha dealers... they are still figuring out what can it be.

In my case, high frequency vibrations are  felt at the hand bars, right foot peg and on the seat.

Here, the original post: https://fj-09.org/thread/5715/vibrations-after-000-kms-maintenance

I know the vibrations this thread talks about.  I got a different vibration and just wanted to throw this out.  When I ride my bike like a John Deer tractor at a steady 2,500 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear, I feel a grinding sensation in the footpegs.  I know nothing is grinding because the bike is so un-stressed at this moment.  But grinding is the sensation.  Probably some bad harmony from the muffler or the drive chain slacking out it some weird way on the plastic guide.
I absolutely second what you said Evoled... 
As I climb through the RPMs and in lower gears, I feel exactly the same grinding sensation that you have stated... not sure what the fix is, so I try to get OUT of this rpm range QUICKLY! ;-)
I'll add a third on this one. Feels like a grinding/growling sensation felt through the pegs and seat I think (feels like it is coming from the core of the bike if you know what I mean).
I mainly notice it in the higher gears when loafing along anywhere below 4k rpm - so say 50mph in 6th gear.
Does everyone experience this? From videos I have seen many people tend to run the bike in lower gears/higher rpms so may not notice.
I expect it is just a characteristic of the bike, but would like to hear if everyone experiences the same thing to be sure.
Thanks for any replies.  

Guest kernowjim
it very much is a characteristic of the bike/engine - I've tried another FJ, the FZ-09 and the XSR900 and they all were the same.  Even the FZ-10 does it, which is a 4 cylinder, in fact it's far worse than the triples.

I honestly believe the cause of the odd vibrations/noises is the front sprocket rubber noise damping thingy... its my belief it changes with the density of the rubber damping from cold to hot...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Guest kernowjim
@norcal616  oddly the whole point of the rubber damper is to achieve the opposite of vibration and noise, have you tried a sprocket without the rubber damper?