The Battery thread

wessie

• Premium Member
Anyone find it annoying that the positive terminal is covered by a BLACK cover and a RED wire connects to the negative terminal? The battery is clearly marked, but I always think RED = hot.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone find it annoying that the positive terminal is covered by a BLACK cover and a RED wire connects to the negative terminal? The battery is clearly marked, but I always think RED = hot.
Hmm, I just had my cables off and I didn't even notice that. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
if you are just going from my photo, those red wires are not connected to the neg terminal - there is only one lead connected the neg terminal and it is black with a brass terminal

a black insulator over the positive terminal is not uncommon - my VAG car has the same arrangement
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 years later...
I need to replace my battery (2015 FJ09).  Comes with Yuasa YTZ10S.  It has been stated that the YTZ12S will fit based on dimensions (by removing the rubber filler piece in the battery tray).

Has anyone ACTUALLY used the YTZ12S without fitting problems?

Paul

I need to replace my battery (2015 FJ09).  Comes with Yuasa YTZ10S.  It has been stated that the YTZ12S will fit based on dimensions (by removing the rubber filler piece in the battery tray). 
Has anyone ACTUALLY used the YTZ12S without fitting problems?

Paul

I just replaced the OEM Yuasa with the larger capacity YTZ12S equivalent from the local Battery Plus store. Take out the foam spacer and it is a perfect fit for the slightly taller battery. Loved the sound of my FJ firing up with the new (higher CCA) battery.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I installed a Shorai Lithium Iron battery in my 09 back in May, no issues to report.
Huge difference on weight??

Yes! When you receive the Shorai, you think that they must have forgotten to ship the battery! I doubt that it weighs 3 lbs. Feels like an empty shell, but spins over the bikes without issue or hesitation.

I have read that these don't like the cold (below 20f) but I have not had any problems. They are also supposed to hold a charge for a long time, not needing a tender. I've let my ST1100 set for 4-5 weeks and it fires right up.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking for a little help.

I replaced my battery with a new Shorai after a first one went dead after a few months of non-operation. I added a battery tender when I dropped in the new battery as well. My problem is that when I connect, negative last, there something starts spinning and there is a whine. It might be the ABS but not sure. Also, the display does not light up with the new battery connected. Key was in off position when taking out and putting the battery back in. This should be one of the easiest things to fit on the bike but it looks like I screwed it up.

Any advice or know what the whine is? 

• Supporting Member
@tb - Are you sure you have the battery oriented correctly in the box? The positive terminal of the battery should be towards the front of the bike. The battery actually lays on its side, with what you would typically consider the ‘top’ of the battery facing towards the right side of the bike. If you install it with the ‘top’ facing upwards, the polarity of the battery ends up reversed relative to the wiring. This came up in a thread fairly recently, and I recall mention of some kind of an electric noise from under the tank before the main fuse blew.

L Any advice or know what the whine is? 
Is your wife standing nearby?
Dad Gummit Wordsmith, I just snorted hot coffee through my nose!  Do you have ANY idea how uncomfortable that is?   :D   :D  :D