Just got my FJ-09

stoggy

I got my FJ-09 last week and then i went on a trip so had it sitting in the garage for a week. Longest trip ever... I have 50 miles on it now. I am trying to stay under 4500 rpm... So hard!

First impressions after 50 miles... (I traded my FZ1 in on the FJ-09 and I also have a FJR)

1. Its not a fast as the FZ1. I havent opened it up yet, so impression is obviously skewed. Also i am still only using Standard mode fuel map. I heard a lot of people complain about the FZ-09 being snappy on the throttle. I thought the same about the FZ1 coming from an FZ6 till i got use to it. Probably they were just not use to liter bike power. Staying under 4500 and only using standard mode it is very nice and compliant bike. Cant wait to start opening it up. I want some snappy!

2. The FJR pulls hard from any speed in any gear. The FJ-09 doesn't. You can be in 5th at 20mph and the FJR will go. The FJ-09 is not near as forgiving as the FJR for being in the wrong gear. I have been avoiding lugging it but it isn't as strong. 400 less cc, no shit right... 6 gears though...

3. Its is SO much lighter then the FJR. I really like that. Getting it off the stand is effortless. Back and forth it is SO quick and easy. Faster then the FJR by a long shot. Faster then the FZ1 by quite a bit. Much shorter then the FJR. 180 rear tire vs FZ1s 190 rear tire. It has a good low speed turning radius.

4. Wind screen is small but it seems to do its job. I dont have any helmet buffeting. I am 5'10" and with the stock screen I have it all the way down, but wish i could lower it maybe another 1/2 inch or something. I havent tried it with the screen all the way up. It has 3 positions. It might be possible to move it while riding but it WOULD be dangerous. There are 2 thumb screws on each side of the screen that would have to be loosened then pull the screen up and re-tighten the thumb screws. Once stopped its very easy/quick to do though. The screen is very narrow at the bottom and then wider at the top. I think i can feel the cold air on my stomach from this. A wider screen at the bottom might help. It is by no means a bad screen though.

5. The hand guards block a lot of wind off my hands, I was surprised. Took my summer gloves and went out in 45 degrees. My hands got cold but not as quickly as on the FJR.

6. It is so light and so quick back and forth. I think it will be awesome in twisties. New genre? Twisty-Tourer? It is so flickable.

7. The suspension is soft, but i havent even looked at the adjustments yet. All but rebound i think.

8. I was surprised by how upright the sitting position is. I kinda banged my arms when i went to lean forward for the grips the first time. I dont want a lean over bike but I think i would like the bars just a little lower. There are tall stems coming out of the top triple tree mount so no lowering adjustments readily available here. No adjustments up either but bar risers would appear to work. If lowered I would have to be careful about the body work and tank when at full lock.

9. It didn't come with any bags. Im ok with that. I use backpacks. It has hand grabs by the rear seat. It has hook spots on the sides of the tail for saddle bags. They stick out, but aren't offensive. There is a mounting spots for a tail bag. There are cables (with plugs) that end in the seat that are probably for bag tail lights. Lots of space under the rear seat, probably enough for 8 pairs of sun glasses. :) Little spot at the front of the rear seat that could probably fit a radio. easily fit an old casette style walkman,

10. Its got a cigarette lighter, built in. A spot for another.

11. The headlight adjustments Could be adjusted while riding but probably not advisable.

12. The speedo has a smaller display to the right. It has 3 screens you can put 3 of whatever indicator on the screens. Air temp, coolant temp, odo, trip 1-3, gas mileage, avg gas mileage, maintence modes (how far you have gone since oil change and 3 whatever ones) Some others too, i forget them all. Then you just thumb a trigger button to switch between the 3 screens. So you get 9 mileage or temps or .... at the touch of a button, independent of speed, tach, gas...

13. I like a dial tach better. The FJ-09 is all digital. The tach can be hard to find sometimes. Probably wont matter as much when i not trying hard to control my rpms. Speedo is easy to find. The gas is easy to find. L/R turn signals are seperated. Gear indicator, The screen has 3 brightness levels. I haven't had a problem, but it might be hard to read in direct sunlight. 2 Headlights, only 1 on when no brights. I haven't ridden in the dark yet.

14. Going 75 in 6th gear at 4500rpm the gas milage read 66mpg. Says Im averaging 33. I have been trying to do stop and go driving, looking for rpm changes.

15. Seat is comfortable. Not as big as the FJR but very comfortable. I liked the seat on the FZ1 for 15+ hours so maybe my butt is hard. The seat has 2 positions, high and low. I have mine on low and can tippy toe it on each side. Keeping 1 foot on the peg, rear brake, and flat foot is easy. It is so light.

16. 50 miles and it still says I have a full tank of gas. That is WAY nice.

17. Gray or red, I got a gray one. I like all colors on motorcycles as long as my bike is black. :(

18. Exhaust looks the same as the FZ-09. The exhaust is not as quiet as the FZ1 stock, that is good. Its not loud by any means though.

19. The gears are smooth shifting. They work like the FZ1 and FJR. My FZ6 hated first gear except when stopped. Clutch is cabled. Much lighter then the FJR, maybe slightly lighter then the FZ1.

20. Brakes are awesome. Back brake will brake loose the rear tire pretty easily. Front brake can stop hard. ABS is standard...

21. When i test rode the FZ-09 i could change the riding mode by just dropping the throttle and pushing the button. I haven't tried changing the mode yet on the FJ-09. I would assume its the same though.

http://i.imgur.com/QFRUvqO.jpg

• Premium Member
Great review. I have an FJR and had an FZ1 1st gen, so your review is particularly helpful. I want a bike like an FJR, but lighter, and that is what I think the FJ-09 is. A little less torque, but I think the FJ-09 will spank it 0-60.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have owned an R1 and have had multiple FJRs kinda keep up over In the desert .

But I currently own an FZ-09 with fuel controller, exhaust and my buddy's 2011 FJR can't catch it until around 90 mph. Mine weighs 392 but even stock the FJ-09 does 0-60 in 2.7. Best of all, power where u get to actually use it, in town hardly any bike can keep up, and then reality sets in and the FJR is up to 160

I got my FJ-09 last week and then i went on a trip so had it sitting in the garage for a week. Longest trip ever... I have 50 miles on it now. I am trying to stay under 4500 rpm... So hard! 

First impressions after 50 miles... (I traded my FZ1 in on the FJ-09 and I also have a FJR)

1. Its not a fast as the FZ1. I havent opened it up yet, so impression is obviously skewed. Also i am still only using Standard mode fuel map. I heard a lot of people complain about the FZ-09 being snappy on the throttle. I thought the same about the FZ1 coming from an FZ6 till i got use to it. Probably they were just not use to liter bike power. Staying under 4500 and only using standard mode it is very nice and compliant bike. Cant wait to start opening it up. I want some snappy!

2. The FJR pulls hard from any speed in any gear. The FJ-09 doesn't. You can be in 5th at 20mph and the FJR will go. The FJ-09 is not near as forgiving as the FJR for being in the wrong gear. I have been avoiding lugging it but it isn't as strong. 400 less cc, no shit right... 6 gears though...

3. Its is SO much lighter then the FJR. I really like that. Getting it off the stand is effortless. Back and forth it is SO quick and easy. Faster then the FJR by a long shot. Faster then the FZ1 by quite a bit. Much shorter then the FJR. 180 rear tire vs FZ1s 190 rear tire. It has a good low speed turning radius.

4. Wind screen is small but it seems to do its job. I dont have any helmet buffeting. I am 5'10" and with the stock screen I have it all the way down, but wish i could lower it maybe another 1/2 inch or something. I havent tried it with the screen all the way up. It has 3 positions. It might be possible to move it while riding but it WOULD be dangerous. There are 2 thumb screws on each side of the screen that would have to be loosened then pull the screen up and re-tighten the thumb screws. Once stopped its very easy/quick to do though. The screen is very narrow at the bottom and then wider at the top. I think i can feel the cold air on my stomach from this. A wider screen at the bottom might help. It is by no means a bad screen though.

5. The hand guards block a lot of wind off my hands, I was surprised. Took my summer gloves and went out in 45 degrees. My hands got cold but not as quickly as on the FJR.

6. It is so light and so quick back and forth. I think it will be awesome in twisties. New genre? Twisty-Tourer? It is so flickable.

7. The suspension is soft, but i havent even looked at the adjustments yet. All but rebound i think.

8. I was surprised by how upright the sitting position is. I kinda banged my arms when i went to lean forward for the grips the first time. I dont want a lean over bike but I think i would like the bars just a little lower. There are tall stems coming out of the top triple tree mount so no lowering adjustments readily available here. No adjustments up either but bar risers would appear to work. If lowered I would have to be careful about the body work and tank when at full lock.

9. It didn't come with any bags. Im ok with that. I use backpacks. It has hand grabs by the rear seat. It has hook spots on the sides of the tail for saddle bags. They stick out, but aren't offensive. There is a mounting spots for a tail bag. There are cables (with plugs) that end in the seat that are probably for bag tail lights. Lots of space under the rear seat, probably enough for 8 pairs of sun glasses. :) Little spot at the front of the rear seat that could probably fit a radio. easily fit an old casette style walkman,

10. Its got a cigarette lighter, built in. A spot for another.

11. The headlight adjustments Could be adjusted while riding but probably not advisable.

12. The speedo has a smaller display to the right. It has 3 screens you can put 3 of whatever indicator on the screens. Air temp, coolant temp, odo, trip 1-3, gas mileage, avg gas mileage, maintence modes (how far you have gone since oil change and 3 whatever ones) Some others too, i forget them all. Then you just thumb a trigger button to switch between the 3 screens. So you get 9 mileage or temps or .... at the touch of a button, independent of speed, tach, gas...

13. I like a dial tach better. The FJ-09 is all digital. The tach can be hard to find sometimes. Probably wont matter as much when i not trying hard to control my rpms. Speedo is easy to find. The gas is easy to find. L/R turn signals are seperated. Gear indicator, The screen has 3 brightness levels. I haven't had a problem, but it might be hard to read in direct sunlight. 2 Headlights, only 1 on when no brights. I haven't ridden in the dark yet.

14. Going 75 in 6th gear at 4500rpm the gas milage read 66mpg. Says Im averaging 33. I have been trying to do stop and go driving, looking for rpm changes.

15. Seat is comfortable. Not as big as the FJR but very comfortable. I liked the seat on the FZ1 for 15+ hours so maybe my butt is hard. The seat has 2 positions, high and low. I have mine on low and can tippy toe it on each side. Keeping 1 foot on the peg, rear brake, and flat foot is easy. It is so light.

16. 50 miles and it still says I have a full tank of gas. That is WAY nice.

17. Gray or red, I got a gray one. I like all colors on motorcycles as long as my bike is black. :(

18. Exhaust looks the same as the FZ-09. The exhaust is not as quiet as the FZ1 stock, that is good. Its not loud by any means though.

19. The gears are smooth shifting. They work like the FZ1 and FJR. My FZ6 hated first gear except when stopped. Clutch is cabled. Much lighter then the FJR, maybe slightly lighter then the FZ1.

20. Brakes are awesome. Back brake will brake loose the rear tire pretty easily. Front brake can stop hard. ABS is standard...

21. When i test rode the FZ-09 i could change the riding mode by just dropping the throttle and pushing the button. I haven't tried changing the mode yet on the FJ-09. I would assume its the same though.

http://i.imgur.com/QFRUvqO.jpg

ill look at turning the handle bar stems around tonight.

I got to ride in the dark last night. I got up next to a car so i could compare headlights. They are just as wide and illumnate just as far, but not quite as fully as car head lights. My lights looked a little thin in comparison. They are not bad though. The lows go out to about 50 yards very well. The high beam was going out at least 100 yards, I ran out of room.

The mpg is going up. On the current reading when staying at 1 speed at 4500 is almost always reading 50+mpg. Im averaging ~41. I got ~100 miles and now im at 1/2 a tank.

The gas gauge is digital, the full mark goes from 1/2 tank to full. The bottom half of the fuel guage is broken up into 4 parts.

something like this: (it looks prettier then my representation though)
|.1.|.2.|.3.|.4.|.........5.........|

I have the habit of taking my helmet with me.  But Yamaha has a sorta silly solution.  They provide a short length of a thin coated cable with loops on each end that you pass through the D-rings of your helmet then hook under the seat.  The problem I see is it appears that you could cut the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

This is going to sound silly but, where do you put your helmet? Is there a helmet lock? I know the bags are too small to fit a full face. The FJR bags should mount to it from what I understand; however, if you happen to like the matte grey you're SOL since the paint won't match. Plus I think they say FJR on the side...
FJR bags only say "Yamaha" on the trim piece on the cover.

Where to put your helmet is to either take it with you, add some type of secure helmet lock to your bike or like I do on my FJR, use a top case that will fit the helmet.

• 4 months later...
ok 2k miles now.

1. so light. Really quick and nimble feeling. At first it didnt feel as planted as the FZ1. I have gotten use to it and it feels good.

2. really liking it.

3. the side saddle bags attachments have little hooks on each end and a post in the middle that makes it perfect for hooking down one of those cargo bungy nets. I probably wont get the hard luggage.

4. Its fast. A mode is snappy!!! FZ1 might have it by a little but not by much. FJR pulls harder but not near as quick. Standard mode is good too, i forgot to put it in A mode several times. Only realized it under way 1 time.

5. I went riding in West Texas, TONS of side wind, pushing semis around type. It was grabbing my front end and making a wiggling feeling. If i leaned forward just a bit it went away. Still had some major blasts but nothing unexpected considering. Wind screen was great. Bugs on everything.

6. The gauge is saying 44mpg. Calculations agree +/- a little. Went 300 miles on 1.5 tanks.

7. The seat is good. 8 hours and my butt hurt but no more then expected.

8. I replaced my turn signals. All leds, no resistors. I like them I found on amazon for $19 for 4. They are bright, I really like the faster blinking. I saw a guy on a sport bike and his flashed faster (daytime even) it was really easy to see his turn signals. These are good, they even have lights to the side too, very bright. Carbon fiber stickers. ;) Takes 4 of the little insert plates and power adapters or just splice them in. I have had them on for about 1k miles, no problems. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7SWTIQ/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

9. The headlight is good.

---

9. The pegs dont have the little rubber inserts in them. My knees felt the vibrations after 8 hours, more like i did on the FZ6. Hands felt fine though, never numb. The peg holder part appears to be the same as the FJR and FZ1. So probably can just get theres and replace. My knees didnt feel cramped i think it was just vibrations, some pretty crappy roads didnt help. Its been 6 months since i put hours on a bike so i need to try some more. I have bad knees too. That dull ache.
a. OEM FZ1 footpeg is ~$40 a piece.
b. OEM FJR which has more rubber are $58 and $56. only checked bike bandit so far for OEM pegs.
c. after market ones look harder...

10. Its quiet. I get unheard/forgotten in the soup traffic. Cagers have already, tried to merge into the lane with me. I put a micron Safe-Ty pipe on my FZ1, It would scare horley riders. It might have been a little loud but this one is too quiet.
a. I dont want to deal with power commander again. Its not them, just the whole process and price.
b. I dont want to jack the mpg/range.

11. Horn is typical Japanese, meep meep.
a. Why cant Japanese make horns or clocks?

ok 2k miles now. 
8. I replaced my turn signals. All leds, no resistors. I like them I found on amazon for $19 for 4. They are bright, I really like the faster blinking. I saw a guy on a sport bike and his flashed faster (daytime even) it was really easy to see his turn signals. These are good, they even have lights to the side too, very bright. Carbon fiber stickers. ;) Takes 4 of the little insert plates and power adapters or just splice them in. I have had them on for about 1k miles, no problems. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7SWTIQ/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

The connectors on those turn signals look different that what is on the FJ. How did you wire them up? Do you have any pictures of them on the bike?

Thanks!

Archived