Matching chicken strips

• Premium Member
Just looked at my tyres and the right has some left, but only on the front wheel. I have two large roundabouts on my daily commute where I exit quite fast, and the exit corner (to the left) is a tighter corner than the actual roundabout. I guess that explains the left/right difference. Now someone who is an instructor might proceed to explain in technical detail how I should load up my front wheel more?

They just repaved one of my favorite twisties after it was cratered by a long winter.

I think my strips are even and actually got the rear tire to slip sideways in the middle of a sharp right hander. (TCS On, so I know it was me :o coming into the corner too fast for the new surface) I'd even waited a week and a good rain for the oil to get off the new pavement. Bike's ability to get through a corner, not mine, bailed me out. Had the tire not caught, I might have had a low side.  The feelers are set in with green loctite, I used tribal methods -  vice grips to pull them when I couldn't find a 7mm wrench. 

Do side bags help as sliders???  :P

Anyone getting all the way over on the front tire?
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I always burn the left side first, once I know the bike the right side comes in.

3 days in Arkansas with some fast friends knocked down the peg feelers and boiled the tires to the edge on both sides. I am surprised how well these hard D222's grip once warmed up. The "curb feelers" were noticed and giggled at by a few, hey..I'm old and need to know when to stop leaning.
AR 123 and 341 eat rubber, time for new shoes.

• Premium Member
They just repaved one of my favorite twisties after it was cratered by a long winter.  
I think my strips are even and actually got the rear tire to slip sideways in the middle of a sharp right hander. (TCS On, so I know it was me :o coming into the corner too fast for the new surface) I'd even waited a week and a good rain for the oil to get off the new pavement. Bike's ability to get through a corner, not mine, bailed me out. Had the tire not caught, I might have had a low side.  The feelers are set in with green loctite, I used tribal methods -  vice grips to pull them when I couldn't find a 7mm wrench. 

Do side bags help as sliders???  :P

Anyone getting all the way over on the front tire?
I am close, but I think David is already there the way he rides, but you should see his boots! 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My Versys, right side has lesser strip width than left side although I've got markings of road contact to the edges on these strip area. I thought that the skewed rear shock to the right location has got something to do with it.

Just looked at my tyres and the right has some left, but only on the front wheel. I have two large roundabouts on my daily commute where I exit quite fast, and the exit corner (to the left) is a tighter corner than the actual roundabout. I guess that explains the left/right difference. Now someone who is an instructor might proceed to explain in technical detail how I should load up my front wheel more?
Johan, for a real thrill you could always run those circles in the opposite direction to even the tire wear.  (rofl)  
I think I may turn out to be a two rear tires for each front tire kind of guy on this bike. I tend to feed it a little gas coming out of corners, offset by doing 80% or more of my braking with the front. I use the back brake in slow traffic, on hills/lights and for straight line high speed braking only. What do you think of the front brakes on the FJ09?  I'm seriously considering EBCs after a few hard pull downs from warp drive. You can feel the ABS pulse on the lever. Thinking of stenciling "objects to the front may be closer than they appear" on the windscreen.  ???
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
Johan, for a real thrill you could always run those circles in the opposite direction to even the tire wear.  (rofl)  
I think I may turn out to be a two rear tires for each front tire kind of guy on this bike. I tend to feed it a little gas coming out of corners, offset by doing 80% or more of my braking with the front. I use the back brake in slow traffic, on hills/lights and for straight line high speed braking only. What do you think of the front brakes on the FJ09?  I'm seriously considering EBCs after a few hard pull downs from warp drive. You can feel the ABS pulse on the lever. Thinking of stenciling "objects to the front may be closer than they appear" on the windscreen.  ???
I think the brakes are good, although strangely I think the rear is less effective than on my previous bike, a lower spec Yamaha XJ 6, could be the weight difference, but I was surprised to feel the ABS kick once or twice. I tend to use the rear when I filter through traffic at low speed. I've done a simulated emergency brake and a few sudden stops in traffic but haven't felt the ABS through the front lever yet. Again, compared to the little XJ 6 I think the brakes are good and the Dunlops seem okay too. I understand about that rear tyre, and it's not just powering out of corners ;) 
You can arrive at your stopping point rather suddenly with this bike. Unless you've come from a sportsbike or something fast like a K1300S this is real fun. In fact, I think there is a risk that it encourages you on more than something like a K1300S or Busa would, except for fast motorway type riding. In the twisties and short sprints I suspect this will be more fun by far.

Archived