Install G2 Throttle Tamer

Hello

I am new on this forum and i have MT 09 TRACER because i am from Slovenia (europe- near italy)

I am interested in this mod with G2 throttle tamer but is throttle travel shorter with this mod ? because i want little shorter travel on throttle.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
To the person who asked if the G2 works with the factory heated grips, the answer is NO.  The factory heated grips come already on the throttle tube and their is no real way to remove it without damage.  I did notice how the G2 cam works so it may be possible to shave the stock ( or heated ) tube to the same cam.  I didn't feel that adventurous at the time.

The proper part number for the G-2 throttle tamer is #40-4Y-142.  There is no listing on the G-2 website for the FJ-09 but I sent Gary an email to find out for sure.  If you order the one for 2003-2010 FJR1300A, 2011-2016 FJR1300 you will get the correct one.

Bill Hamilton

• 3 months later...
As a follow up I would like to report that the Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips work just fine with the G-2 Throttle Tamer.  (Get the "Adventure version because they are the right length for the FJ-09).

The grip instructions give specifications for the handlebar and throttle tube dimensions.  The FJ-09 handlebar (left side) was exactly within spec for the Oxford grip.  The G-2 throttle sleeve was the exact dimension on the smooth ends of the tube and just slightly larger on the knurled surface.  (by less than 1/2 mm).  

There were a few rubber "nubbies" (technical term) inside the right grip.  I used some fine (220 grit) sandpaper wrapped around a broom handle to scuff out the nubs.  I did a test fit of the throttle side grip rotating the grip clockwise as I installed it onto the G-2 which was mounted on the bike.  It took moderate effort to rotate it and press it inward as I "pushed and turned" it into place.  

I continued to turn it clockwise while pulling out on it to remove the throttle side grip after determining where I wanted to locate the wire coming out of the grip.

Turning the grip clockwise forces the throttle to the closed position and makes installing and removing the grip much easier.  

I did two dry runs mounting the grips into position so that I would feel comfortable doing the install in "one shot" with the supplied super glue.  Each time I "cranked" the grip onto the knurled surface of the G-2, the process got slightly easier which gave me the confidence to "go for it" with the super glue.  

The super glue is like water and dripped everywhere as I was applying it to the handlebar/throttle tube.  MAKE SURE you cover your painted  surfaces with something that won't allow any the super glue to get near the paint.  This stuff eats through stuff quickly.  I had a sheet of white shipping foam over the tank with a piece of heavy poly plastic over that.   The glue that dripped off the plastic onto the foam melted right through the foam.  I was very glad I had the plastic on top!!!

I chose to power my grips through a switched circuit I created on my six circuit POWERBLOCK.  But you can simply power right off the battery and the controller has a built in circuit that shuts off the grips when the bike is not running AND if the voltage on the battery gets to a pre-determined low level.  Very nice design.
AND......... if a grip eventually fails due to wire fatigue you can replace them individually for $20 each.  

Happy Riding.

I'm loving this FJ-09 after downsizing from 11 years and 110K mile on FJR's (which I loved).  The 180 pound weight reduction works extremely well for my 63 year old body with a 28" inseam and fighting weight of 135 lbs.  

Bill Hamilton

FYI

Gary from G-2 throttle said that if need be you could sand down the knurled surface a bit or have them reduce the diameter.  He said that many heated grips install with no issues or modification necessary.

No mod's necessary for the Oxford Premium Adventure Grips 

Good luck.

Bill

• Premium Member
The bottom line here I believe is that this throttle tube will NOT work for OEM and other aftermarket heated grip users where the grip is bonded to a replacement throttle tube!

It may be interesting to modify the heated grip throttle tube to match the Tamer using the original OEM tube as a practice piece but cutting the plastic accurately and smoothly would be very difficult.

One advantage of NOT installing the Yamaha heated grips.

• 1 year later...
I am here to report that I have installed a G2 Throttle Tamer to a 2016 FJ-09 with the original "Yamaha Heated Grips". I bought my bike new and did not allow the dealer to install the Yamaha Heated Grips (took them home in a box). Having used throttle tamers in the past (Ducati ST3) I knew I wanted one. My G2 grip is even the shorter one spoken about earlier. You simply install the G2 as per instructions and when you install the Yamaha grip you slide it up to the housing in the needed position. There is a portion that does not touch the heated grip element (no big deal).Been using it for a few months now and have no adverse effects. I use hair spray on the handle bar end and the G2 tamer to slide the heated grip in place. They don't move a bit after installation or when heated.

• Premium Member
Are you saying you were able to remove the OEM heated grip rubber from the throttle tube it comes on and install it on another throttle tube without damaging the heated grip??

Pray tell how did you loosen and remove the heated grip rubber?

Well... I did not remove the heated grips from the bike. I installed new Yamaha heated grips from the dealer on a G2 throttle tamer (shorter tube model than original) with no issues. I did remove the original non-heated grips from both sides with no issue also. To do that I used a very small screw driver and wiggled between the grip and handle bar on one side or throttle tube on the other. When it was in there I stuck to long tube on the WD40 can down there and filled it with spray. Next, after removing the screw driver I used my air gun with a small tip to inflate the grip and pull it off at the same time.

The Yamaha heated grips installed perfectly, with no ill effects to the shorter aluminum G2 throttle tube. Heats up and works perfect.

I suspect I can remove the heated grips in the same manner if needed. When installing the new grips, I use hair spray on the handle bar and inside the grip. Wet it real good and they slide on easy. It dries in minutes and the grips do not slip, even when hot.

Hope that helps.

• Premium Member
How were you able to remove the oem heated grips from the throttle tube to which they are bonded and that extend into the throttle housing where the electric wire that feeds them power loops inside the oem heated grip throttle housing, which is wider to accommodate the power wire?!

Photos?

How were you able to remove the oem heated grips from the throttle tube to which they are bonded and that extend into the throttle housing where the electric wire that feeds them power loops inside the oem heated grip throttle housing, which is wider to accommodate the power wire?! 
Photos?
I believe they used the universal yamaha heated grips...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Ahah, now it makes sense but they should of indicated that and not caused wasted time!

Photos?
I believe they used the universal yamaha heated grips...

Guys, I did not install universal heated grips? They were the Yamaha specific items for the FJ-09. Attached are the pictures of the original LH grip, original throttle tube with original grip and housing and the longer tube that came on the RH side heated grip. I installed the heated throttle side as a dry run in the original throttle housing so the grip and cable were fully exposed, removed the heated grip as mentioned and marked where the cable was in relation to the housing. Next I installed the G2 in the old housing and slid the heated grip in place, noting the cable orientation and distance from original housing. Next was a complete installation with all the heated parts on the G2 as a complete assembly. Pictures of the assembled unit show it is the correct parts for the factory heated grips. Spare parts show what is left over after assembly.
3_throttle_tubs.jpg

throttle_assembled.jpg

throttle_housing.jpg