Install G2 Throttle Tamer

• Premium Member
Did you take photos with the rubber heated grip off the oem heated grip throttle tube? Can the exposed portion of the heated rubber grip be moved outboard to provide a bit more of a gap between it and the throttle housing? If I recall the exposed portion of heated rubber grip is connected and one integral piece with the inner hidden portion from which the electric wires emanate within the housing. I want to install a Sound Off Products NEP throttle lock which requires more room between the grip flange and throttle housing...

• 7 months later...
I think the Throttle Tamer is a good addition for a later model FJ.  I have a 2018.  The fueling is fine.  I don't think there is a need for a re flash.  But the throttle still is a little snatchy.   I notice it at lower rpm, especially on a bumpy road.  And the Throttle Tamer helps with that.  I got one for $50 at OEMCYCLE; it was easy to install.  I think it was money well spent....

• 2 years later...

Just to confirm for anyone looking at adding a throttle tamer to a 19+ with OEM heated grips.

Yes it's possible to remove them, yes it's easy.

What you need:
WD-40 or lubricant of choice.
Flux brush or other similarly stiff/thin metal.

Remove that bar end nonsense.
Roll that metal about the same arc as your tube, lightly give the metal a whiff of something slippery, and just ram it home.
You'll have to pull it out and drive it home at least 4 times depending upon your circumference of metal.
Now remove the throttle housing stuff, grab the end where the cables are with one hand, grab the grip with your other, and just twist your way to freedom.  Clean up the residual glue if you feel any shame.

This took all of 10 mins.
Not a single gouge or scrape on the oem tube or inside the heated grip.

****EDIT, if you are looking for the G2 Throttle tamer for your 19+ Tracer GT, you will want to order the 152mm throttle tube, please consult G2's tech support before ordering or measure yours first (entire length of tube). The previous model and base Tracer 900 have different throttle tubes.  Confusing but they are working on getting the models correct.

50822838157_1ee331d145_c.jpg

50822838217_886613472f_c.jpg

50822744946_a14d1b2b5e_c.jpg

50821994208_b73b182208_c.jpg

Edited by kilo3
152mm tube length
  • Thumbsup 1