What Top Box ?

buckybuk

• 2 months later...
I got in my 39L top box today, mounts nicely and installing back pad was a breeze.  My lock however that was suppose to match my side luggage also from Yamaha doesn't work!!  It doesn't fit flush into the lock sleeve for installation and won't turn 90% to lock and let the key be removed?  It will only turn 180% to let the key be removed and then that unlocks the top box again!!  It has to be the wrong key set for this luggage.  Does your top box key turn 90% and key extract?
Thanks, Mike

I got in my 39L top box today, mounts nicely and installing back pad was a breeze.  My lock however that was suppose to match my side luggage also from Yamaha doesn't work!!  It doesn't fit flush into the lock sleeve for installation and won't turn 90% to lock and let the key be removed?  It will only turn 180% to let the key be removed and then that unlocks the top box again!!  It has to be the wrong key set for this luggage.  Does your top box key turn 90% and key extract? Thanks, Mike

I went through the same thing.
Please have a look at my thread here:

http://fj-09.org/thread/1004/farkling-fj-09-rszk?page=3
Hope it helps.

I went through the same thing.
Please have a look at my thread here:

Hope it helps.
Been looking at your thread for a while. Nice, but I can't tell much about this lock situation.

3 locks for the side cases, add a top case lock that is custom keyable, all keyed to one? Including ignition?? ..  Have no idea what you did, how you did it, etc. More info please. Thx. 

I went through the same thing. Please have a look at my thread here:

Hope it helps.
Been looking at your thread for a while. Nice, but I can't tell much about this lock situation.  

3 locks for the side cases, add a top case lock that is custom keyable, all keyed to one? Including ignition?? ..  Have no idea what you did, how you did it, etc. More info please. Thx. 

The 3 lock setup won't work. You need to purchase a separate reykeyable top box lock as you've found out the top box needs a quarter turn and has to release the key when set to lock mode. It does the opposite right now.
Now you can choose to rekey the top box lock to your panniers locks or do what I did and keyed all the locks to the main ignition key.
Cheers

I keyed my panniers and top box to the ignition key;

You can do it for $0 with the existing lock wafers;

- Remove lock barrel
- Inset ignition key to barrel
- Note how wafers protrude
- Pull out wafers and swap around to get the best fit
- Remove wafers one-at-a-time and use a linisher/bench grinder to "tailor" each wafer
- With ignition key inserted, wafers should be level with, or slightly recessed,into profile of lock barrel
- Re-fit lock barrels

Archived