Lube my chain!

priboy

• Premium Member
Question?  If you were going on a 8K ride, putting on around 450 miles a day.  What would your lubing and cleaning schedule be?
For this I'd forgo cleaning; Center stand every other day, spray the chain down good with lube, and ride on.

After the trip, clean & lube as per normal. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
redfjniner, after a long day's ride I'd put mine up on the center stand, wipe down the chain with WD40 and relube. 450 is not that bad if it's easy riding. If you take your bike mudding like some of those northern types with lousy weather and calcium chloride on the roads, every time you get gas.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I love that center stand. Comes in handy f working on chains, tear wheel, etc.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• Premium Member
Serviced my chain today. I got the Bel ray chain lube and, "Maxima clean-up" chain degreaser. I bought a grime chain cleaning brush that was on sale as well. Been using Bel Ray on my other bike for years. I like that it adheres and doesn't fling. The manual calls for 500 mile servicing or when the bike gets wet. Well living in Florida that would mean cleaning the chain after practically every ride as it rains frequently here. My approach is going to be to keep the maintenance to 500 miles and go from there. If I go through nasty stuff, then I'll maintain sooner... Life is good....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 1 month later...
After 45 years of riding many chain drive bikes, I've discovered a good, solid routine that isn't too fussy and seems to work well. Soak one-half a small throw away cloth towel with kerosene or WD-40 and use this to rub down the chain to remove the surface level spooge. Then dry the chain with the dry portion of cloth. Finish up with DuPont Chain-Saver wax based spray-on chain lube. This comes in various sized yellow cans with black lids, including wee little ones that stow easily in a tank bag or such. This can be sourced at your local WalMart, works a treat....

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
After 45 years of riding many chain drive bikes, I've discovered a good, solid routine that isn't too fussy and seems to work well. Soak one-half a small throw away cloth towel with kerosene or WD-40 and use this to rub down the chain to remove the surface level spooge. Then dry the chain with the dry portion of cloth. Finish up with DuPont Chain-Saver wax based spray-on chain lube. This comes in various sized yellow cans with black lids, including wee little ones that stow easily in a tank bag or such. This can be sourced at your local WalMart, works a treat.... 
-CD-
My EXACT routine. I'm even using the same products!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I use the Loobman system (from UK) as I can't put it on the centre. Get hubby to put it on the centre when I was him and clean the chain. Like others doesn't take much, rag with kero and a dry one to wipe off and all is good.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 month later...
Dupont silicone spray. It cleans and lubes in one. My chain has never lasted longer. I lube it every 400-500 mi. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3ZKVAS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448492868&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=dupont+teflon+silicone+spray
It sounds so wrong.  "Good for NON Metal surfaces" on the can?  Silicone is not suppose to be good in compression as what happens a little on the sprokets.  How Long do your chains last?  And how many have you used using silicone?  Just asking.

This was the report I read and started from. The DuPont product is a silicon and Teflon mix. My chain has lasted half again as long since switching to this product.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

This was the report I read and started from. The DuPont product is a silicon and Teflon mix. My chain has lasted half again as long since switching to this product. 
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/
Silicone NOT silicon. I know it's OCD but I'm a chemist and I cant see us putting ground up Intel chips on our chains :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I am of the opinion that if you use something that doesn't eat the o-rings and doesn't collect dirt into a grinding paste, it will be as good as anything else. My preference has been *****, and it has served me well over the years.

Archived