Squeak noise coming from clutch on cold engine

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone! I’m from Türkiye and my bike is 2015 MT 09 Tracer. I bought it from first owner. He used it quite calm and few miles. Mileage is too low (8100 miles). I have a weird problem with a noise coming from clutch side. Then I read this topic. But my problem is not the same as described in this topic. Something makes a squeak noise under the clutch cover. The sound is very irritating and very high only on my bike. The other 2015’s does not make this sound. I recorded a video to compare my bike wit another bike (bikes are same, year-engine codes etc.) Shortly watch between 7:09 - 7:33

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZ_x8p7C7U]

Does anyone have any idea about this strange sound? As i said very irritating and very high. The weird noise is louder than engine noise. I am going crazy with weird this noise...

...Something makes a squeak noise under the clutch cover. The sound is very irritating and very high only on my bike. The other 2015’s does not make this sound...
Have you considered a leak in the exhaust? Do you hear it in neutral, in gear, clutch pulled in... only when cold?
Agreed, sounds exhausty, follows the engine tones.

Have you considered a leak in the exhaust? Do you hear it in neutral, in gear, clutch pulled in... only when cold?
Both bikes have the stock exhaust and I' m sure the noise is coming from under the clutch cover. There is no leak in the exhaust. The noise is coming all the time. The service pull the cover off and inspected it. They says it' s normal. Then i pointed the other bike and said "the other bike has no such a sound like this". And they say it's a clutch basket gear sound. Some of them makes this sound but some does not. Like a joke... This is not an enough explanation for me. The noise always comes, since this bike was first purchased (mileage 0) You can hear the noise up to 3500-4000 rpm's. Then you can't hear something else because of engine noise. 

I had a triumph triple that was noisy like that. I switched to Castrol synthetic and the noise went away. I'll probably do the same thing with the fj. 
Yamalube 15 50 full synthetic is supposed to quiet things down too....
I'm also using Yamalube 4R 15w 50 fully senthetic with ester.

Both bikes have the stock exhaust and I' m sure the noise is coming from under the clutch cover. There is no leak in the exhaust. The noise is coming all the time. The service pull the cover off and inspected it. They says it' s normal. Then i pointed the other bike and said "the other bike has no such a sound like this". And they say it's a clutch basket gear sound. Some of them makes this sound but some does not. Like a joke... This is not an enough explanation for me. The noise always comes, since this bike was first purchased (mileage 0) You can hear the noise up to 3500-4000 rpm's. Then you can't hear something else because of engine noise.

My bike is the same. I watched your video so even though I don’t speak your language, the engine noise I recognize. There were 2 bikes on the floor when I bought mine. Test rode the black one and wound up buying the red one.

Wouldn’t you know it, the engine “squeak” on the red one was louder, esp just after startup when idle is higher and engine is cold. Most noticeable from the RH side, primary driven gear area.

I don’t know what else I can tell you, except that some ‘15 models are louder than others and for no explainable reason. My hunch is the tolerances are just a bit tighter than They should be.

I replaced the primary driven gear and bearing on mine, but it made very little difference. Not worth the cost.

It MIGHT be worth installing a clutch cover from a newer (17) model which is said to have better sound insulation on the inside of the cover. But unless you can find a more knowledgeable dealer with a skilled tech or service manager, you’ll have to live with it, or start throwing random parts at the issue.

Sorry,

-Skip

It MIGHT be worth installing a clutch cover from a newer (17) model which is said to have better sound insulation on the inside of the cover. But unless you can find a more knowledgeable dealer with a skilled tech or service manager, you’ll have to live with it, or start throwing random parts at the issue.

Sorry,

-Skip
This is the most clear answer i read. You are right, What causes this noise? No one (authorized dealer and services) has a clear knowledge of this weird noise. The Service opened the cover, disassembled the clutches and plates, run the engine a few seconds with basket only. Noise was still coming. Trying a new clutch basket is the first opton. I can't return it (they don't accept return) if I buy it and my problem is not solved. The price is very high in my country to try.

Sorry to hear about the high part prices but
Good for that service dept! That’s some good troubleshooting, wish it had turned up a better answer.

My theory is that it’s caused by too tight gear lash between the primary clutch basket and the crank drive gear. Whether it’s due to machining and bearing tolerances in the case, or firing pulses/load on the crankshaft as it rotates or the machining of the gears - I don’t know.

If I had a quiet engine to swap parts from, that would be the only way to truly narrow it down and it still might not turn up a final answer if it had something to due with the alignment of everything within the cases.

-Skip

Archived