Throttle lock

Last night I was digging though my gadget drawer and found a Vista Cruise model # MCVICY single or dual cable for Yamaha's. So I turned up the music and grabbed some tools.

After fiddling, I came to the conclusion that it does not work. I see previous posts but I'm unwilling to use cable ties and that would be questionable with the Vista design. I did put some ties on and was not pleased with the outcome. There's no practical way to keep the Vista stationary other then cutting the fingered bracket and drilling a hole though the Vista, then another hole in the OEM throttle/switch housing as shown here:

http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/vcc.html

I don't have the Universal Vista or the spacer as ctrlaltdl provided photos of above. Just the model I provided the number for. So I guess Go Cruise or back to my ol Throttle Rocker are the options seeing as Yamaha did not provide or offer an OEM cruise.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bummer, I was thinking that the Vista Cruise would be the best option. What I've done on a previous bike with the Vista Cruise is drilled a hole in the throttle housing and ran a screw through the fingers (instead from the side, like your link) of the throttle lock and screwing it into the hole in the throttle housing.

Bummer, I was thinking that the Vista Cruise would be the best option. What I've done on a previous bike with the Vista Cruise is drilled a hole in the throttle housing and ran a screw through the fingers (instead from the side, like your link) of the throttle lock and screwing it into the hole in the throttle housing.
With the Vista on the throttle tube and thumb lever in reachable position, I could have drilled a whole in the bottom of the throttle housing, as the finger bracket is on the bottom in this position, installed a 1/8" piece of ABS or flat plastic to fill the void between finger bracket and throttle housing, drilled the flat plastic then installed a screw and positioned the finger bracket around the screw. But the throttle housing is not very thick. I figured the screw would end up coming lose and over time, the hole would open up. Questionable weather a small bolt and nut on the inside bottom part of the throttle housing would have enough room. Definitely not ideal. I'd only use it on the long hauls and not wild about creating any problems with the throttle when safer alternatives are available.  

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

+1 for NEP, cheap, durable and easy to install.
I've got 13 yrs and 2 previous bikes on the one currently installed on my Ducati GT1000.

Buy the one for one throttle cable, drill one hole for the zip tie and install as shown in the above pic.

This is what I use on all my bikes. Sound Off Recreational Vista Cruise MCVICY-P. Amazon $20.85 shipped free. Easy to install. Remove grip,remove two screws in throttle housing,drop 1/8 inch screw through hole in bottom half of throttle housing secure with locknut,slide Vista Cruse on throttle tube,replace grip,adjust Vista Cruise. There was already a hole in the bottom half of the throttle housing. No need to drill one.

This is what I use on all my bikes. Sound Off Recreational Vista Cruise MCVICY-P. Amazon $20.85 shipped free. Easy to install. Remove grip,remove two screws in throttle housing,drop 1/8 inch screw through hole in bottom half of throttle housing secure with locknut,slide Vista Cruse on throttle tube,replace grip,adjust Vista Cruise. There was already a hole in the bottom half of the throttle housing. No need to drill one.
Works great on the standard housing, but doesn't work on the heated grip housing.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I did get the Vista Cruise to work. Thank you ctrialtdl and backslider.  The drainage hole was there but I missed seeing it. I think most bikes have them but I was blind or in too much of a hurry as I remember things being simpler also. I mistakenly used a #10 x 1" oval head machine screw. It looked to be about 1/8" but ended up being too big as the head creates binds once everything is tightened up. It was about the right size for fitting in the drain hole,  bottom of the housing, but the head was just too tall and bound the throttle tube once the upper and lower halves were bolted back together. So don't use that size screw. I hand filed mine down which was allot of time. File, resemble, bind, disassemble and refile. I felt like I was working on my 1911. I should have just ran down to the hardware store and purchased the size smaller screw like #8 x 3/4" oval head instead, with matching threaded nuts and flat washers. Maybe even a countersunk with flat head would work nicely. I used 3 nuts and 4 flat washers. Flat washer against the housing and a nut, flat washer, fingered bracket, flat washer and double nutted the bottom. Get a couple extras. I had to shim mine with a forth flat washers at the finger bracket  Once I tightened everything up again, another slight bind kept the throttle open just a bit. Using the smaller size screw may not require this step. Also, be careful for the dowel on the lower housing. It fits into the handlebar to keep everything stationary once tightened up. If you miss lining up the dowel into the hole or miss the hole and tighten things up, bad stuffs gonna happen later on. As previously mentioned, the installation was simple on my previous install, different bike. But the FJ, was harder because of that nasty #10. Both sizes appear to be approximately 1/8" at first glance. 
edit: I must have hit mine with my hand while getting on the bike and the black plastic L mounting bracket came loose. I need to install star washers on the top and bottom of the plastic L bracket to keep it tight and in place.

FcrYvXR.jpg

I also ground down my lever, knob. It's comfortable for me to rest my thumb up against the bottom L bracket while riding. It also provides some leverage while the Vista Cruise is not engaged. If your short fingered, as I am, the std length lever may get in your way.

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Do you know which NEP model it is? Thanks, Barender

I got the "NEP CC-2 Cruise Control/Throttle Lock (Fits: many OLD Yamaha w/ 7/8" handlebars)" model.  It's meant for a single throttle cable (different setup than what we have) but fits very easily with just the use of a small zip-tie (or in my case a narrow strip of velcro cable tie) to keep it in position.  Nice and thin so it doesn't have any trouble fitting in the gap between the throttle grip and the mounting clamp.

I've had a NEP throttle lock on my ST1100 for about 20 years.  Very simple, and works great!

I've had a NEP throttle lock on my ST1100 for about 20 years.  Very simple, and works great! 

I'll second that. I've had them on 2 or 3 bikes. 
I like the look of the Atlas throttle lock, although it's not as integrated as the Kaoko, so I'm going to give that a try.

• Premium Member

I'll second that. I've had them on 2 or 3 bikes. 
I like the look of the Atlas throttle lock, although it's not as integrated as the Kaoko, so I'm going to give that a try.

I have an Atlas. I don't recommend it at all. Will sell mine cheap. 

Go Cruise is the way to go if you only need to take your hand off the throttle for a couple of minutes to rest it and/or you are on the interstate or similar type highway. It works great. Obviously it will not compensate for going up or down hills but otherwise I love it. It takes a few seconds to install and you can take it off in a few seconds if you are not going to be needing it. It only costs about $17.00 at Motorcyclesuperstore.com.  I have no affiliation with that business whatsoever. I mention it because they are a reputable company with great prices.

Go Cruise is the way to go if you only need to take your hand off the throttle for a couple of minutes to rest it and/or you are on the interstate or similar type highway. It works great. Obviously it will not compensate for going up or down hills but otherwise I love it. It takes a few seconds to install and you can take it off in a few seconds if you are not going to be needing it. It only costs about $17.00 at Motorcyclesuperstore.com.  I have no affiliation with that business whatsoever. I mention it because they are a reputable company with great prices.
I also have a go cruise and it does the job for a few seconds or if you fiddle with the tightness you can hold a speed on a long level Hwy.

Archived