Throttle lock

I'll second that. I've had them on 2 or 3 bikes. 
I like the look of the Atlas throttle lock, although it's not as integrated as the Kaoko, so I'm going to give that a try.

I have an Atlas. I don't recommend it at all. Will sell mine cheap.

Why didn't you like the atlas?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I have an Atlas. I don't recommend it at all. Will sell mine cheap.

It did not work as advertised. It was not a good fit on the throttle tube, and was almost impossible to lock without simultaneously advancing the throttle. I have used other throttle locks, and their activation was a simple click of the thumb, not having to look down to find the lock .  

It did not work as advertised. It was not a good fit on the throttle tube, and was almost impossible to lock without simultaneously advancing the throttle. I have used other throttle locks, and their activation was a simple click of the thumb, not having to look down to find the lock .

Thanks for the info.

I ended up with the Kaoko and have used it many times in the last 6 months.
It looks good, but is quite difficult (annoyingly frustrating) to set the sweet spot so that the bike's speed doesn't creep up or slow down.

A proper cruise control would be easier.

• Premium Member
I ended up with the Kaoko and have used it many times in the last 6 months. It looks good, but is quite difficult (annoyingly frustrating) to set the sweet spot so that the bike's speed doesn't creep up or slow down.

A proper cruise control would be easier.
depends what you want. I don't need a cruise control to maintain a set speed for mile upon mile. We don't have many roads where that would be of much use due to traffic density. 

What I want is something that holds the throttle open when I need to relax my grip to stretch, adjust a mirror, unzip a jacket vent etc
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Just put the Vista Cruise off the VFR on the FJ. Here's what you need to do. Get a 12mm M5 .8 thread bolt, I had one lying around that was Phillips head. Get a plastic spacer that the M5 bolt will fit thru, and a washer to go between the bolt head and the Vista Cruise. Take off the handguard & the treaded adaptor/spacer that does in the handlebar. Get a long, skinny flat blade screwdriver and a can of brake cleaner with the  long nozzle. Cover your paint/bodywork with a towel. Slide the skinny screwdriver between the throttle and the rubber grip all the way to the housing and give a quick shot of the brake cleaner in the raised area created by the screwdriver. Run the screwdriver around the grip, this will loosen the rubber grip & let you pull it out away from the housing to make clearance for the Vista Cruise. I needs to go back about 6-8mm. Take a M5 .8mm tap and thread the drainage hole already in the throttle housing. The housing is aluminum and thicker than you think. Once the tap hits the throttle tube, stop, remove the tap and blow out with some air & make sure the bolt threads properly. Cut the plastic spacer to 5mm thickness, put it between the throttle housing & the Vista Cruise, line everything up and install the 12mm long bolt with washer & the 5mm spacer between the Vista Cruise and the throttle housing. It tightens up just fine; once I knew it was going to work I removed the 12mm M5 .8 bolt & put some paint on the threads to act as a light-duty thread locker & re-installed the M8 bolt. Re-install the handguard, adjust the tension on the Vista Cruise & your done.Sounds involved & complicated but it took less than an hour & it works properly & is permanent.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
None of the Sound-Off Recreation (SOR) throttle locks (NEP, Vista Cruise, Vista Cruise Universal) will work with the OEM heated grips. SOR does make a model listed for the FJ-09 that is sold on the web for Yamaha cruisers, it's model number is MCUVYC. However, it will not work on the FJ-09, FZ-09 or XSR900 because the instructions call for moving over the brake / mirror perch inboard to make room for the SOR kit's "bar clamp", which, as previously stated, moves the brake lever inboard so only it’s very outboard end can be actuated with 2 fingers. Fail!

Being an ex-aeronautical engineer, I analyzed the MCUVYC and came up with a relatively easy solution that SOR may eventually sell.

The attached photos and template should convey my solution, which I have now road tested for over 200 miles. Yes, that’s not much but I will post up if I have issues with it. The material I used for my extender / mirror mount is ABS the thickness of the reveal in the kit’s “arm”. The nice thing about the Vista Cruise MCUVYC is that it locks the throttle (grip) without slippage but you can “over-ride” the setting easily forward or back and it holds it without having to flip the thumb lever. I have use the SOR NEP for many, many years and find it stone cold reliable and would prefer it because you don’t loose throttle grip space but with the OEM heated grips it just will not fit and I don’t want to risk moving the heated rubber grip on the throttle tube.

I have photos installed with the OEM mirror (left hand thread) mounted, and with a Bike Master mirror extender installed. What cannot be seen in the photos is a small square shaped piece of vinyl bonded to a .020” piece of aluminum bonded with double-sided tape onto the top of the start/stop control pod that both protects the top of the pod from the inverted Philips drive pan head screw (with flat washer under it) that comes in the kit (it’s US NF thread) as well as shims up and supports my extender / mirror mount and the arm connection. If you look carefully you will see the nylock nut that the pan head screw threads into in the “crotch” of the arm. The thick flat washer seen in my photos is needed to shim up my extender / mirror mount to the needed elevation so the arm extends over and inserts into the eye bolt / collar / slip-ring assembly at the required height above the grip. This flat washer is not needed or used in the photos where the Bike Master mirror extender is installed because I have a RAM mount 1” rubber ball attached to a flat extender plate that fits between the OEM mirror perch and my extender / mirror mount.

To balance out my arms when on the grips, I added a piece from the inboard thrust ends of two old Grab-On foam grips that I cut and sectioned together (because the ID of one Grab-On foam grip alone was insufficient to fit over the OD of the left Yamaha FJ-09 heated grip), and bonded it to the inboard end of the left (clutch side) grip.

http://imgur.com/a/eZUYg

• Premium Member
"bruceintucson
Just put the Vista Cruise off the VFR on the FJ"

Do you have the OEM (or other mfgrs) heated grips [photos would also help your narrative]?  Because the OEM heated grips will not move on the integral throttle tube.

This is what I use on all my bikes. Sound Off Recreational Vista Cruise MCVICY-P. Amazon $20.85 shipped free. Easy to install. Remove grip,remove two screws in throttle housing,drop 1/8 inch screw through hole in bottom half of throttle housing secure with locknut,slide Vista Cruse on throttle tube,replace grip,adjust Vista Cruise. There was already a hole in the bottom half of the throttle housing. No need to drill one.

Does it slip and need readjustment on long stretches?

Archived