Bluetooth headsets

fzkenm

Guest dmizer
As for the 20s... extremely disappointed. I returned it. IMHO, not anywhere near the similar build quality of past Sena units, and VERY buggy.
I thought so too, and very nearly returned mine. But disabling the motion sensor fixed everything. Works flawlessly now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you wear earplugs and still hear the Sena well? My wife would love an intercom system... Can I mute it?  :)
You can wear earplugs and still hear.  Earplugs change the sound as they don't dampen all frequencies evenly.  Certainly the style of earplug will make a difference on this aspect of it.  I've been wearing 32 db ear plugs.  With the stock shield I had to have the volume cranked all the way to get the volume up over the roar of the wind.  With it all the way maxed, people on the phone or intercom said they could hear an echo of themselves.  At interstate speeds, conversations were near impossible.  Now that I have my new windshield and spoiler, I'm able to turn the volume down and still hear fine with the ear plugs in, even at interstate speeds.  My old bike, with no windshield, I had no issues hearing at interstate speeds.  It took a while to get to interstate speeds... but that was because it's a 45 year old 450.  lol.  I've had several people shocked that I'm talking to them on the phone while on a bike.  First thing they say when I tell them is it doesn't sound like I'm on a bike. 
As far as muting, there's no "mute button", but you do not have to stay connected to the intercom the whole time.  Most of the time, I choose to just to make things easier.  You can just talk instead of push, wait to hear the beep that you are connected then talk.  Tapping the big jog dial will connect the intercom to the first person in your list, or disconnect you if you are already connected.  Just turning the jog dial adjusts your volume.  Holding the jog dial in for 1-2 sec is the same as pressing play for your music on your phone.  Whatever is in queue to play will play.  If music is playing, the same command will stop the music.  Pressing in on the jog dial and turning one way or the other will skip to the next song or previous song depending on which way you turn it.  There's a manual full of different commands you can use, but those are the ones I most commonly use.

• Premium Member
Can you wear earplugs and still hear the Sena well? My wife would love an intercom system... Can I mute it?  :)
I have the Sena 20S and I recently got a set of custom ear plugs with speakers from Ultimate Ear in the UK. They work fantastic with the Sena. All my noise issues are solved and GPS directions are very clear, at any speed.

Guest dmizer
I always ride with ear plugs when on the expressway. I've used both the SMH-10 and the 20S with ear plugs and had no problems with understanding directions even at speeds above 120 kph.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got my Sena 20S after using in helmet speakers for a year and the quality is way better.  I can hear music any time over bluetooth regardless of speed.  I love not having a cable running to my helmet either.  The ambient sound is great when the other person talking is on your left, but terrible in a gas station where there is an idling diesel near by (all I could hear).  Didn't get to test call quality that much yet but so far its ok, had a hard time hearing someone while on a ride.  I'm quite pleased with it, and I can now hear other riders with my earplugs in thanks to the ambient noise amplifier.  It is great, but does come with a steep price tag.  Without trying others, I can't say if the 260 price tag is worth it over older gens more than 100 cheaper, but I am pleased with it and glad i finally pulled the trigger.
I did have a very hard time fitting it to my Bell Evo Modular though.  It is not where I wanted it at all, but there was only one spot on the entire helmet it could be mounted.  And that was right up against the sunvisor release, making it harder to push, and the dial back further than I would like.

Looking to get a bluetooth headset.   Looking at the reviews, it looks like the Sena SMH10 is the optimum choice.  Not the R but the original.  Anyone else have first hand experience and can make a recommendation?  The jog dial seems to offer the best functionality with gloves and that is what seems to be the most salient feature.
I have the SMH 10 model with the jog dial and separate (not boom mount) microphone. Love it. It works even better with the latest software update from Sena. The model with a separate mic is better than the boom mic if you are mounting it in a FF helmet. Easy to use and lots of features. The only reason I can think of going to the 20 is the inclusion of FM radio which I miss. 

• Premium Member
I have the SMH10 and am mostly happy with it. I wish the sound quality was better at higher volumes. There is distortion in the speakers after an estimated 80% volume all the way to full volume. Other than that the unit is great. No bugs, works as advertised, and my friends can never believe I'm on the motorcycle when I answer the phone because the sound is so clear.

If I were to buy one now I think I'd get the new Sena 10c Bluetooth unit with built in camera. Assuming it works as well as it is supposed to, it looks like a great buy. All the features of a high end Bluetooth system, and then, on top of it, a good video camera that's fully integrated. I watched the Revzilla review on it and it has me sold. However, with my working SMH10 and my working Polaroid XS100HD camera I can't justify dropping $350 on a 10c. I'd rather keep that money and be that much closer to affording a new exhaust, or helmet, or seat or whatever.

I like the Interphone F4 of which I have two of them. As of late, the left speaker started to fail (had two failures) after the many years of use. It was interesting that both helmets failed within a year of each other the same way. A replacement headset from Interphone fixed the issue but I noticed the parts have changed for the open face version (which I use on my modular helmet). I'll be looking for a replacement soon but the size of the new ones are just too big for my taste. Both the Sena and Interphone F5, which I have only seen in pictures, appear too large.

Don't want to add to helmet turbulence to that FJ-09 wind noise :-)

I like the Interphone F4 of which I have two of them. As of late, the left speaker started to fail (had two failures) after the many years of use. It was interesting that both helmets failed within a year of each other the same way. A replacement headset from Interphone fixed the issue but I noticed the parts have changed for the open face version (which I use on my modular helmet). I'll be looking for a replacement soon but the size of the new ones are just too big for my taste. Both the Sena and Interphone F5, which I have only seen in pictures, appear too large.  
Don't want to add to helmet turbulence to that FJ-09 wind noise :-)
The SMH10R is quite a bit smaller.  It doesn't have a jog dial though like all the other Sena sets.

Archived