30 liter Saddle Bags for the FJ

I just saw a pair of 06 FJR saddle bags on the FJR Forum for $400.  These will fit on the FJ and provide more volumn then the city bags that are the FJ accessory item.  If you are interested, you will have to join that forum to see the item.  Being they came off an 06, they will be Cobalt Blue and will need painting.

Regarding painting the saddle bags, you will need to get a color match at a local auto paint store and get the paint installed in a shaker can if you are planning to do the painting yourself.  You would need a can of primer (grey), two spray cans of candy red paint.  You can usually get them to mix the clear coat in with the paint so you can put it on in less time and fewer coats.  Or you can get one can of paint and one can of clearcoat and apply three (or 4) coats of color and 3 (or 4,5) coats of clearcoat.  But I am not sure that you wouldn't get 85% coverage and then run out of paint or clearcoat.  To be sure you have enough paint you should always get more than you need.  I painted my FJR bags off a 07 to the majestic blue of the 05's and a 46 liter JC Whitney top box with just two cans of paint.  Note, when the first can started to run out of paint it spit it out in bigger globs and kind of made it harder to finish neatly.  The extra can saved the day.  When I painted my wheels, I bought the paint from O'Reilly's and did (2) base coats, (3) to (5) color coats and (3) clear coats.  That is the way to go.  Just a note about painting with these automotive paints.  First coat, wait 10 min. apply another coat and continue that until the clearcoating is done.  By the time you get done with the second bag you may be at 10 minutes and ready to start the next coat on the first bag.  Paint outside on a 80 degree day with no wind in the shade then set in the sun while you paint the other bag, alternate.  If there is a little wind, don't let the overspray float to the sun baking bag.   

Here is a picture album of the wheels being painted: 
You can also go the Colorrite method too:

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Guest spackler
If I purchase Candy Red bags that were OE from a 2014 FJR1300A, would these fit on the FJ-09? I'd like the larger bags.

Guest spackler
The bikes at my local dealer are bagless, so we can't try swapping them around on the showroom floor. I'm sure someone will try it soon enough though.

Just to mention, a person who works for Yamaha has made the following comment on another site:
"You guys do realize that the smaller bags available aren't all that much smaller or lighter than FJR bags."

That being said, probably could find used FJR bags at a reasonable price.

Would be good to see a side by side comparison of the FJ09 & FJR1300 bags side by side.

Thanks for the picture. It appears that the "case" is the same as the FJR, just a different "lid".

A color-matched lid for the red FJ looks much better on the red bikes, but then, more care is needed to keep them looking good. (Good thing for 3M film)

That picture of the FJ w/red saddle bag on an FJ is mine. I had to make sure that it would fit when I inspected the first one they wanted me to buy, a grey one, and it fit perfectly. So when the red bike came in, I had to take a picture of it to share here. I have over ten years and 200,000 miles on my blue FJR and the bags still look good. Just avoid scratching them up and keep them polished. A well used bike that is clean and polished looks great, even with wear and tear marks.

Guest spackler
That picture of the FJ w/red saddle bag on an FJ is mine. I had to make sure that it would fit when I inspected the first one they wanted me to buy, a grey one, and it fit perfectly. So when the red bike came in, I had to take a picture of it to share here. I have over ten years and 200,000 miles on my blue FJR and the bags still look good. Just avoid scratching them up and keep them polished. A well used bike that is clean and polished looks great, even with wear and tear marks. 

Really looks good with the color-matched bags. Plus I'd like to be able to stash a full face helmet and I don't think I could do that with the 22 liter bags.

I have an '09 Concours with the color matched bags. Just have to take care not to scuff them with my boots.

Guest spackler
I'm going to try to price it out, see if it's cheaper to just buy the FJR bags, or to buy the smaller FJ bags and then buy the FJR painted lids and swap them.

Could we trouble you to put both FJR bags (towels for support accepted :))) on the FJ and take a picture from the rear? Will they make my ass look big?  :o
No problem, you can see the bike with 05 FJR bags at my Flickr site

GSORider, possible to get a measurement across the FJR bags while on the FJ, and compare to the width when mounted on the FJR? 
Just curious if the FJR bags stick out any further than on an FJR.
Thx!
I measured on the front mount 12 1/2" mount to mount on the FJ and 14 1/2 on the 05 FJR.  The FJ is 1" narrower at the rear mount.  Helps for lane sharing but the handlebars with the grip protectors are 38" wide.  WTF.  
I added some more pictures of the tail rack project.  72157649991156245

Archived