No handle bar ends...

Guest bmidd
Any tips on how to remove the threaded 16M to 8M insert? I've got bar-end mirrors on the way and they appear to be universal fit... 
Brian
12mm allen head socket gets the job done. They are in there tight, my T-handle allen wouldn't get the job done so i bought a set of large allen head sockets. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Any tips on how to remove the threaded 16M to 8M insert? I've got bar-end mirrors on the way and they appear to be universal fit... 
Brian
12mm allen head socket gets the job done. They are in there tight, my T-handle allen wouldn't get the job done so i bought a set of large allen head sockets. 
I'm old and once I put my glasses on I could see it, Thanks!  :P

• 3 months later...
For those of you trying to kill any vibration, I ran across these on the web. Http://www.hvmp.com/Yamaha-s/4.htm
11-17oz! That's some weight! I'm still looking for something shorter to clean up the open bar ends. Probably just black Delrin. Man, I gotta' stop spending $$ on a brand new bike :-/
Brian

How much length do they add to the bars? I took my hand guards off to lose length and would hate to put it back on..

Anyone ever try any inside the bar inserts like the Vibranators? I would like to hear someone's opinion before dropping $100 on a set. There's also the Dead Ends bar ends that are supposed to be good...

I have tried the vibronators on another bike. If you want a noticeable reduction in vibes go with HVMP bar ends and ditch the hooky hand guards!

• Premium Member
Anyone ever try any inside the bar inserts like the Vibranators? I would like to hear someone's opinion before dropping $100 on a set. There's also the Dead Ends bar ends that are supposed to be good...
I kept the handguards and reduced vibration by injecting Butyl Rubber into the bars.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I have the handguards off to save on some width and would hate to put the length back on. Currently I'm in the market for something I can screw into the factory 16mm threading that has weight on the inside. Not ready to commit to injecting the bars with rubber or filling with lead shot just yet...if anyone comes across anything, I would love to hear about it.

I have tried the vibronators on another bike. If you want a noticeable reduction in vibes go with HVMP bar ends and ditch the hooky hand guards!

Lol, thanks again Vince.

• Premium Member
I pulled my handguards off and decided I'm done with them. Just not as functional as I thought. I gave 'em 6 months & 3500 miles just to be sure.

Ordered up Grip Puppies and some inexpensive Bike Master bar ends for cheap (like, 9 bucks) so if I hate them I'm not out a ton of dough.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Ordered up Grip Puppies and some inexpensive Bike Master bar ends for cheap (like, 9 bucks) so if I hate them I'm not out a ton of dough.
Well, the BM bar ends are too big on the inside diameter and to be honest, not as heavy as I wanted. So I'm shipping them back & looking for new options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
It's been a few weeks since I removed the 'donkey ears' aka handguards and installed the FZ-09 bar ends. Today I finally had a chance to shake things down a bit with a good 2 hour test ride to see how it changes things.

When I left this morning, it was a balmy 50°F, or for our overseas friends, 10°C with sunshine and moderate winds gusting to 10mph.

I had to adjust my heated grip settings upward a bit, as I noticed the Grip Puppies do tend to cut the heat at my hands slightly; I changed presets from 2-4-6 to 4-6-8 and was pleasantly rewarded with perfect levels of heat. The Grip Puppies have another positive effect, as they seem to distribute the heat more evenly to my hands, and the warmth is spread out more with fewer 'hot spots' as I felt before without them. With my grips on and set at -4- my fingers and hands were very cozy, and no chill was felt even at highway speeds of 65-75mph. 

More importantly, at these speeds, it does appear that much of the wind buffeting has been cut, in my perception. I have come to believe the 'donkey ears' handguards are a big part of the much maligned wind buffeting us FJ owners complain about. Perceived wind noise and buffeting was IMO significantly reduced, and I think now with another better designed windscreen it may be cut down to a very comfortable point for the bike. This is GOOD news.

Vibration in the bars also feels minimalized now, partly due to the absorption by the Grip Puppies, and partly due to the heavy FZ bar ends installed. I did not get the 'buzzy hand syndrome' I sometimes feel after 2 hours riding today, so this was also a big WIN in my book. Two problem areas of the FJ for me have been addressed and I am quite pleased.

Overall I am very happy with the end results, and for less than $30US I have achieved an important goal of improved rider comfort on the FJ-09!

Archived