YAMAHA FJ-09, MT-09 TRACER Knuckle guard LED Kit - v2

• Premium Member
SHbKzNz.jpg Took my time lining everything up.

snkRxXO.jpg
Automatic center punch.

tgRMz4A.jpg
I used a 3/16" drill bit.

KvgL64g.jpg
Nuts secure on the back side, install both screws and spacers at the same time, be gentle and tighten them up.

05pCzIn.jpg
Looking good so far.

MVu6xui.jpg
The spare terminal.

C7McpsT.jpg
I stripped back the wires a bit, combined them and installed them in the connector.  

v58y7cc.jpgJob done.

These are great pictures, but any chance you have photos of the flasher sync? Would really be interested in seeing how to tap the three wires coming from the signal.

I did not order the kit with the flasher so unfortunately I can't help out there. The instructions end with "and here are the spare terminals" so I wanted to show how I decided to wire them in to help other folks.

Was at the dealer earlier, helped them sell and FJ-09 and showed them these LEDs. They are going to order some now.

They look GREAT on the bike, IMO.

I think there is a bit of confusion about the turn signal flash function with these LED conspicuity lights.

The light assemblies have 2 wires, + and ground.
If you desire them to flash with you turn signals, you will need either: 
    a control box (as illustrated in the instructions but NOT included in my kit)
    homebrew control circuit. 
The light assemblies do not have the control box built in.

Control of the LED's is more complicated than the front turn signals / running lights as they have 3 wires, + for running, + for turn, and ground. When the turn signals are flashing, the power is applied then removed from the + turn lead by the flasher relay.

A functional spec for the control box or circuit is as follows:
[span]    If power on, light the LED
[/span][span]    When the turn signal power comes on, leave the LED illuminated until the turn signal turns off.
[span]    Once the turn signal goes off, extinguish the LED. 
[span]    If the power is on, and the turn signal power has not been on for approximately 4 seconds[/span] re-illuminate the LED

This is how the halo lights in a lot of cars operate. Should be able to source the control box somewhere.
[/span]
[/span]

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I think there is a bit of confusion about the turn signal flash function with these LED conspicuity lights.  
The light assemblies have 2 wires, + and ground.
If you desire them to flash with you turn signals, you will need either: 
    a control box (as illustrated in the instructions but NOT included in my kit)
    homebrew control circuit. 
The light assemblies do not have the control box built in.

Control of the LED's is more complicated than the front turn signals / running lights as they have 3 wires, + for running, + for turn, and ground. When the turn signals are flashing, the power is applied then removed from the + turn lead by the flasher relay.

A functional spec for the control box or circuit is as follows:
[span]    If power on, light the LED
[/span][span]    When the turn signal power comes on, leave the LED illuminated until the turn signal turns off.
[span]    Once the turn signal goes off, extinguish the LED. 
[span]    If the power is on, and the thru signal power has not been on for approximately 4 seconds[/span] re-illuminate the LED

This is how the halo lights in a lot of cars operate. Should be able to source the control box somewhere.
[/span]
[/span]

Aha! I figured there had to be some delay or the "on" signal would turn out the knuckleguard light. That's why the video is edited everytime it shows a different mode.

I had a electronic flasher on another bike that would delay like that. Ended up putting in resistors instead to slow down the flash rate. Maybe not directly related to this, but was annoying.

Not sure i'd like it to skip a cycle, when changing lanes for example. But considering it's not the main signal, and in front, maybe no biggie. I may just use mine wired up as signals only. ( would have to cover them with amber tape. )

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• 1 month later...
Connect the three wires to the existing turn signal/running lights: Ground, Running Light power, Turn signal power.
The two wires go to the LED: Ground, Power.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• 1 year later...