Yamaha Heated Grips, Anyone install them?

• Premium Member
I canvassed a series of friends about this and the technique that I liked the most was to use heat shrink tubing rather than electrical tape. Use hairspray as the bonding agent under the tubing, and maybe use two layers of tubing/hairspray. That's my plan if the grips ever show up from Yamaha.
I must be a real woosie, as I use the grip heaters at 65 degrees F to 50 degrees F and below. I avoid riding in the rain and temps below 50 degrees F. With those requirements, I have no problem with one grip being hotter than the other. Actually, my throttle grip felt hotter and they both felt the same well into the ride. Must be the warmer temps I ride in. confused2_zpsv8dmakkf.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I must be a real woosie, as I use the grip heaters at 65 degrees F to 50 degrees F and below. I avoid riding in the rain and temps below 50 degrees F.

Yup, you're a wuss. :-)

On the FJ I am thinking "I wish Yamaha would ship my heated grips" at 57F, according to the dash thermometer, although I haven't broken out the heated gloves (and vest) until closer to 50F.

50F isn't particularly cold to me.  I've ridden in -2F with -22F wind chill ... that was cold.  The riding wasn't so bad, but the fact that the bike refused to start later in the day and I had to disassemble it to get at the battery to jump start it ... that wasn't so much fun.  Since that day I've limited myself to 20F and above, and with the Daytona and it's 6Ah battery I was nervous about anything much below 32F.  The FJ should be more forgiving about such things.

Around New England, 40s and raining is commonplace in the spring and fall.  It's the odd year when I don't end up doing at least one full day of riding in that kind of weather during each spring and fall trip.  The ride I just got back from was awesome in that it barely got down into the 40s even in the mountains in the morning and it didn't rain a drop the whole time, but I can count the number of such trips in the 15 years I've been doing them on the fingers of one hand with more than half left over.  In 2007, shortly after I bought the Daytona, it was a 5+ hour ride in temps falling into the mid-30s in rain so hard you couldn't read the giant highway signs when sitting right in front of them.  (Pro Tip: Triumph doesn't know how to make waterproof luggage.  It held the water INSIDE just fine though.  I'm told the Brits just get used to being wet all the time, which might explain it.)

I admit that I'm a lot more of a wuss than I used to be, though.  Back when I had to pay $20/day to park the car I'd ride the bike unless it was completely stupid to do so, and even then I'd think about it.  That was what prompted the -2F ride.  I rode a lot in 10-32F temperatures, and below about 15F the big problem was breath freezing on the inside of the visor.  Hurricanes?  No problem.  I rode the SV650S through flooding deep enough to come over the tops of my boots while on the pegs during one tropical storm, all the while thinking, "I wonder where the air intake is on this bike?"  Snow?  As long as the main roads were clear I would paddle my way through the neighborhood.  Etc.

Work parking is free now, though, and perhaps as a result I've stopped commuting in the rain and snow, although some of that is that I haven't had hard luggage in almost a decade.  We'll see what happens when Yamaha gets around to shipping me my luggage.  (Detect a theme here?)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I canvassed a series of friends about this and the technique that I liked the most was to use heat shrink tubing rather than electrical tape. Use hairspray as the bonding agent under the tubing, and maybe use two layers of tubing/hairspray. That's my plan if the grips ever show up from Yamaha.
I wonder if a layer of aluminum foil between the two shrink wrap layer would help reflect the heat back into the grip? 
The other issue is once you get too many layers going its really really hard to get the grip back on...

I wonder if a layer of aluminum foil between the two shrink wrap layer would help reflect the heat back into the grip? 
The other issue is once you get too many layers going its really really hard to get the grip back on...
Aluminum is already part of the problem... it is a very good heat conductor/dissipater and the FJ bars are an aluminum alloy. That is why the left grip/bar direct contact is a problem. 
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• Premium Member
Yes.  That's one of the reasons I like the shrink wrap approach, it's both thin and smooth.  I'm likely to try a single layer of wrap first to see how it goes. 
I've dropped a note to my friendly neighborhood Yamaha dealer to see if there's any news on when my grips (and luggage) will ship.  It's been eight weeks and counting, it would be nice to actually get something.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I decided to redo my heated grips today and the heat from side to side is pretty even now, not perfect, but pretty close.

I bought these 2 items.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053PYAWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.php

1. Remove left grip with a heat gun
2. Clean grip and bar
3. Spray aquanet hairspray on the bar and install heat shrink tubing (Get it nice and smooth)
4. Let cool a bit
5. liberally spray aquanet on the bar and inside grip
6. While pushing and twisting the grip on keep spraying a little aquanet on the bar right in front of the grip. (It takes some muscle)
7. Install Grip Buddies as per instructions

The grip buddies really provide a nice feel and cut out some of the vibes, plus I like the bar a little thicker as I don't have to grip as tight. I think these also somehow even out the heat a little. I did have to adjust the heat in the grips up 1 or 2 point for each level I had before to account for the extra rubber.

Grips work great now.

Hrmm this is making me thing twice about buying factory grips my other bikes have oxford grips and they are fantastic
Really the only plus side to the heated grips is how its all integrated right into the main display, that's a huge plus to me.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Just reading about vibration and the injection of something into the bars as a way to reduce it.

So, I don't think this has been suggested as a way to solve the uneven heating that some people experience? Silicon paste maybe? it's able to withstand hot water in bathrooms so should be fine in a heated bar. Maybe this will insulate the bar enough to stop that heat escaping so much.

Very simple to do and no need to remove the grip - just take out the allen bolt and squirt the goo into the bars. Let the goo set, peel any overspill from the thread and reassemble the bolt.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Just reading about vibration and the injection of something into the bars as a way to reduce it. 
So, I don't think this has been suggested as a way to solve the uneven heating that some people experience? Silicon paste maybe? it's able to withstand hot water in bathrooms so should be fine in a heated bar. Maybe this will insulate the bar enough to stop that heat escaping so much.

Very simple to do and no need to remove the grip - just take out the allen bolt and squirt the goo into the bars. Let the goo set, peel any overspill from the thread and reassemble the bolt.
Someone did. Search.

• 9 months later...
I meant the use of electric tape at the left side because the heat is not equal on both sides. Without it using level 10 will burn your gashand while it's just getting comfortable at the left side...

Wish I had read this before leaving for my first ride today with the heated grips. I literally burnt my right hand, while my left hand was relatively cold. 
I guess I'll have to remove the left hand grip and apply tape as suggested.
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

• 1 year later...

Archived