I've Gone Nekkid

Looks like we have twin bikes 8teen. I just installed the Yoshi fender eliminator last night. Much more of an Erector Set than I expected, but looks good. I kept the stock turn signals.

I've got Lexan and 3M carbon fiber wrap on order. Looks like I'm going to try to fabricate a new Carbon-look windscreen/gauge shield ala Fred ;-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bmidd
 Because the FZ doesn't sit upright. Because the FZ can't carry a passenger. Because the FZ can't carry luggage. 
They fixed the fueling, at least, for 2015 and you can even get it fixed under warranty if you have a 2014.  The suspension still sucks though. Except for bmidd's bike, his is flat out awesome.[span]    [/span] 

Hey Jim, I fixed it for you!!

Uhmmmm errrrrrrr why didn't you just save 2K and buy the FZ????
 Because the FZ doesn't sit upright. Because the FZ can't carry a passenger. Because the FZ can't carry luggage. 
Plus the FZ here in the states doesn't have ABS and traction control.  

Great thread and I love the mods you guys have done. The bike looks really good from the back. I'm still trying to get used to it from the side. I think a rear seat cowl would help a lot and maybe a custom seat.

Well, the Ermaxx came in. Crazy how fast web-based stores are getting!  The screen looks great, but not much of an improvement over stock.  Takes the wind off of your chest, but leaves noisy air on the helmet in any position. I took it off after two trips and really like the smoother air of no screen!

-I'm glad it's translucent; much easier to plan a new shape because I can see the gauges and mounting hardware.  Here's an initial shape. When the Lexan comes in, I may even go wider to follow the lines of the nose more. Should be interesting.
E8FA7465-E1BF-4C23-A9E1-8DA29E2BAB6A.jpg

Still waiting on the Lexan to arrive, so I decided to try out a couple templates this weekend. i learned several things:
-I tried to get fancy and emulate the Ermaxx cutouts in the nose, but the only thing it did was create a lot of dirty air!
- just an extra inch width on the screen really makes a difference in blocking wind to the torso
--the 1st screen templates pictured is the most Ermaxx-like. Without the cutouts in the nose, it did a very good job of providing relatively smooth air to my torso and leaving my helmet in clean air. At 65mph, the wind was hitting just above my sternum and the very edge of my torso. A very good combo for high-speed barnstorming.
--as soon at I opened up the cutouts, my torso was getting hit with dirty air. Oddly, it felt like I was getting 'poked' just below my right rib cage where the air was concentrating.
-- testing a narrower windscreen(2nd pic), I immediately noticed less protection to the torso. The wind also seemed to hit me a little higher in the chest, but still kept my helmet in clean air. This is a good option for very hot days.
-- last screen is a slightly cleaner model of the 1st screen. To me, it looks very good at all angles and works very well as a Naked Sport windscreen. It'll be the 1st one I fabricate when the Lexan arrives. I may also build the smaller screen for those 95deg days in Georgia ;-)

27419C4A-B175-494D-96C4-322845A5D2E6.jpg185C0439-8700-4148-B970-D6BC158719CE.jpg3206FD45-6975-4A26-B33B-DA4081EDA7CD.jpg539E8FC4-8676-4915-88E3-D663D5B6F671.jpg

Wow you went wider than I tought possible!!! :)
Would #3 clear the handguards?
I too have found out that wider is better, but with hand guards i am somewhat limited...
Aesthetically, the 3rd screen is the least pretty, and the 2nd one is the prettiest...
What material did you use?
Keep us informed !

• Premium Member
Still waiting on the Lexan to arrive, so I decided to try out a couple templates this weekend.  
3206FD45-6975-4A26-B33B-DA4081EDA7CD.jpg539E8FC4-8676-4915-88E3-D663D5B6F671.jpg
OK, I'm liking that last one. I dunno about the solid look of the carbon fiber, but the shape and size is nice.  Good job!
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Fred, all of them will fit w/ hand guards. Look at my previous post with the Ermaxx marked w/ painter's tape. The Ermaxx was designed w/ the side cutouts for the hand guards. I've just taken the basic lower shape and cut off the top.
- I used a plastic 'for sale' sign as template material. I'm using the carbon wrap to hide the 'busy' screen mount hardware. Look closer at the translucent Ermaxx and you'll see what I mean. Riding with a very short screen or none at all just seems unfinished to me.
- my 1/8" Lexan just came in, so I'll try to post Shots with it mounted Clear as well as Carbon wrapped.

Well, I made short work of the Lexan using a jig saw and orbital sander to finish the edges. It seems to be a 'soft' rigid plastic ;-) really gums up the sand paper! Very pliable for its thickness. Using Fredogauvino's technique, I'll use a heat gun to put a curve in the screen. I can see how this Lexan could scratch pretty easily, but the carbon wrap takes care of that. Unfortunately, my heat gun is out at the hangar, will have to wait till Thursday to finish it up.
- here's a shot of my test template on top of the 1/8" Lexan . I'm not taking the protective film off until it's ready to mount.
D3D911D5-C7F9-44C8-BF24-D92FC6EB4195.jpgD97C9346-C7AC-4093-A279-B39A13504056.jpg

Heat forming the windscreen is tougher than I expected!  Lessons learned:
- go straight to High heat. I was worried about bubbling the Lexan. After 30 min, I went to 1,100deg on the gun and started getting results. I left the protective plastic on while heating w/ no problems.
- it's tough getting a smooth curve. Too much pressure on a thumb would make a high spot. Get it really hot then do a little at a time with light pressure.
- I used 220grit sandpaper to smooth the edges (with protective film on). A scotchbrite pad finished the edges. If your looking for clear edges, use a buffing wheel.
- very easy to drill. I used a shop towel to protect the lexan from scratching on top of a wood block. Drilled like butter. Light pressure.
- like Fred said, don't pre-drill the holes. They move based upon the curve you put in. I had to remove the film to see the exact drill points.
- instead of 1 smooth curve, I've got 1 in the middle and 1 on each side.
- final product looks great! Hard to beat a $15 custom wind screen  8-)
-- the clear screen looks great and is very functional while providing the naked bike look. However, it's not what I'm after. It doesn't cover the mechanics of the nose, so I tried tint next...

4766CEE8-6E23-4FBE-B60E-F56937BDF0CA.jpg26F48241-7364-4363-975A-A17868F5E004.jpgD1F7EC50-9998-4D2F-8E81-4716BEAE00DF.jpg

FCF9FB1B-667A-48D9-9742-E1563E317537.jpgFrack! 2nd time I've been in the middle of creating a post and the link times out!! 

where was I...

Window Tint, how I hate thee...

- properly applying window tint takes more time and effort than I have in the screen so far, so I did a rough cut and left some bubbles, but here's the general look.
- 5% limo tint is the perfect shade to hide the screen mount. Only in direct sunlight do you see much detail through the screen. Another good 'look' for the FJ.
-- Double-Frack!! Timed out going to Photobucket and back again!!  ???
- weird reflection on the front shot. Looks good in person!

42728CAE-97AD-4BE9-8BF9-CA857B22636B.jpg

Finally, the 3M Carnon-look Vinyl wrap. This stuff rocks! On another post, I used it to cover the side of my fridge. Easy to use, no bubbles, and you can pull it up again if you make a mistake.
- this is the look I was going for. Almost Super-Moto. If you get tired of it, just pull the vinyl off the screen! 3M doesn't shrink in the sun and should last 5+ yrs.
- I've got a Yamaha badge on order to give it a more factory look. Or put numbers on it.. But that might get the attention of every racer and cop in the county!
- a stranger in the AutoZone parking lot said the bike looked like it was from Mad Max ;-)

Well, 10 days since I bought the thing; it's all sorted and feeling like an Old Friend.., the signs of a very good long-term relationship. I'm also at 600miles and now need to change the oil, clean the chain, and give her a good wash!

Brian

EDCD0985-1062-438B-A6A0-67882489AB60.jpg

81CBBACD-295A-4D9B-9803-B6836B4C7833.jpg

Archived