How does it compare to the FZ-09?

montana07

So, I realize not much information is available.  But as more is revealed I'd love to hear more about the differences.

So far what I've gathered from the pics...

Windscreen
Headlight
Partial Front Fairing
Seat and Pillion Seat

Hopefully we see an improved stock suspension and better ride by wire programming.

I am very excited about the FJ-09, but I have to wonder if it will suffer in comparison to the FZ-09 which has been touted as The
Best Cult Following of 2014?

Will the FJ-09 suffer in comparison and be considered a Wannabe FZ-09? 

I hate to be a downer about the FJ-09 which is sweet, but with the plethora of new bikes hyped, will the FJ-09 fire up the imagine even more than the FZ-09?

No question the FZ-09 was a standout in so many ways. 

How does the FJ-09 compete?  Or does it?  Does it stay a relatively quiet release with only the hard core lovers of the FJ-09 snapping up the bike?

Not trying to stir the pot, just curious what all of you guys think will happen?

What do you think?  How will the FJ-09 compete?  Will it?  Or will it be one of the best kept secrets in the bike world?

I think that it will sell very well. With the weight, it will be a lil slower than the FZ-09, but who cares about that? It will be more comfortable, will be able to add luggage, seems to be taller, and probably has a large fuel tank. This will allow people to take actual road trips on it, go ride longer distances than on the FZ-09.

The Adventure/Sport Touring market is rapidly growing, and this bridges the gap well and also comes in at a lower price point.

When the adventure/sport touring crowd hops on this bike and feels the low end power they will flip out and love this bike. It's gonna be a hot seller.

I think that it will sell very well. With the weight, it will be a lil slower than the FZ-09, but who cares about that? It will be more comfortable, will be able to add luggage, seems to be taller, and probably has a large fuel tank. This will allow people to take actual road trips on it, go ride longer distances than on the FZ-09.  
The Adventure/Sport Touring market is rapidly growing, and this bridges the gap well and also comes in at a lower price point.

When the adventure/sport touring crowd hops on this bike and feels the low end power they will flip out and love this bike. It's gonna be a hot seller.
Thanks Fine for your comments.  You make excellent points on why the FJ will hold its own.   
I like how you - I think it was you - that described this as the "Bike With Balls".  Love that BTW.

If Yamaha can keep the price point lower and deliver the features promised for the FJ, I could see where this will be a sizzling hot bike.

So really, it won't actually compete with the FZ-09.  It will address a diff rider. 

Conceivably riders might have one of each - the FZ-09 and the FJ-09?  If they have the scratch to buy two, that is.

I;m seriously considering building my FZ-09 up to FJ specs. I love my FZ, but a larger tank would be cool. Npt sure about having a fairing, because I do love Naked bikes. But it would be cool to maybe have a windshield that is easily removable. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Gonna wait until this bike comes out and see what it's got. I'm hearing that Yamaha has big plans for this bike.

I;m seriously considering building my FZ-09 up to FJ specs. I love my FZ, but a larger tank would be cool. Npt sure about having a fairing, because I do love Naked bikes. But it would be cool to maybe have a windshield that is easily removable. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Gonna wait until this bike comes out and see what it's got. I'm hearing that Yamaha has big plans for this bike.
A removable windshield would be sweet for sure. 
Building out you FZ-09 to the FJ specs would be really cool and so much fun to do. 

Has Yamaha made a iron clad release date available yet?  Or is it just speculative at this point?

Still waiting to hear
OK...so I've been poking around a bit more and what I read was: 
As far as performance, the insiders are expecting the motor to be a bit neutered on top for more low and mid-range torque.  They are also reporting it will probably have a smoother fueling, maybe even better fuel economy.

That combined with what they are saying should be at least a 4.5-gallon tank (I think you already mentioned that)  should yield impressive and practical range figures.

It sounds like it is really going to be sick.  I just wish they would provide a few more nuggets of info we can snack on in the interim.

Question about the FJ-09.  The common opinion is that it will be a naked bike.  Yes?  
What model does this compare to roadster wise that Yamaha currently makes?  Or has made?  Or does it compare?

Archived