Cross linked brakes

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a new member here that thought he was asking a legitimate question I believe the only  people here being Stroppy   are Bmidd and Wessie. I was asking for other peoples point of view when bmidd was totally dismissive of my question, I never said I thought the website was right and you guys were wrong, give me a break, sorry I asked a question. I'm done.

• Premium Member
Just to add fuel to the fire, I hate linked brakes. That is all. amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Just to add fuel to the fire, I hate linked brakes. That is all. amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif
I would agreed with you before 2011. This was based on an experience with a 1990s CBR1000F (you called it something else in the US) which had Honda's linked brakes where applying the rear actuated a single piston up front. Those tight turns where you use a bit of rear brake were tricky especially as the bike had the turning circle of the HMS Ark Royal.  
In 2011 I bought a Super Tenere. This had linked brakes where the front lever applied some rear which was great on a bike with long travel suspension as the effect was to reduce fork dive. For someone coming from 11 years with a BMW R1150GS with a telelever front end, that eased the reacquaintance with conventional forks. Pressing the rear lever got you rear brake only, which was better for tight turns.

Prior to the experience with the CBR1000F, I had the idea, based on nothing but prejudice that linked brakes are a bad idea. Now, I think linked brakes can be good on some bikes, if the Yamaha system is used where only front lever to rear caliper linking is made. In my view, the rear brake pedal needs to control just the rear brake. 

So, Lewis, is your view based on experience or blind prejudice?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I would agreed with you before 2011. This was based on an experience with a 1990s CBR1000F (you called it something else in the US) which had Honda's linked brakes where applying the rear actuated a single piston up front. Those tight turns where you use a bit of rear brake were tricky especially as the bike had the turning circle of the HMS Ark Royal.  
In 2011 I bought a Super Tenere. This had linked brakes where the front lever applied some rear which was great on a bike with long travel suspension as the effect was to reduce fork dive. For someone coming from 11 years with a BMW R1150GS with a telelever front end, that eased the reacquaintance with conventional forks. Pressing the rear lever got you rear brake only, which was better for tight turns.

Prior to the experience with the CBR1000F, I had the idea, based on nothing but prejudice that linked brakes are a bad idea. Now, I think linked brakes can be good on some bikes, if the Yamaha system is used where only front lever to rear caliper linking is made. In my view, the rear brake pedal needs to control just the rear brake. 

popcorn1.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Guest rszk
...So I owned both the CBR1000f and the Super Tenere.The Honda unit was one of the first implementations in its time I believe. I did like it, but wished that at times it could be deactivated. It helped maintain the attitude of the bike when braking hard. I did find that when I really wanted to stop quickly I would still employ both hand and foot operation.The Super Tenere is a much better implementation, and of course many years of refinement later. I prefer the unlinked rear brake, which would allow me to brake in dirt/gravel without worry of washout on the front (even though ABS is there as a backup).
I have been practicing panic stops on the FJ09 to become more acquainted with the bikes handling characteristics and brake dive etc. I like being able to trail brake at times and using just the rear on gravel is nice and I know that the ABS will prevent me from effing up when on gravel. I do wish that you could switch off ABS with a button though. As far as having linked brakes on the FJ 09, if they do it with future revisions, I hope they follow the path of the Super Tenere's implementation with a partial linked system.

• Premium Member
I do wish that you could switch off ABS with a button though.
The trick we used to use on cars was to yank the ABS fuse whenever we didn't want it to operate.  I didn't do anything much on dirt, but ABS in snow is really the pits. 
For the bike, I've considered pulling the ABS fuse out and wiring in a switch (and fuse) in its place, or putting a switch in the wiring loom for the ABS power circuit.  I think it's likely you'd have to power cycle the bike in order to get the ABS to turn back on, but it ought to cut out on demand.

I'm not sure I'll ever actually do that, I don't ride on dirt all that much and haven't had problems with ABS intervention yet, but that's what I'd try if it came to it.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Blind prejudice. 

Just kidding. My FJR had linked brakes (had that bike for 4 years) and rode my friends VFR with linked brakes, and hated the way the bike squats. If your bike is diving, I would guess your spring rate is too low or the fluid level in your forks is too low. Reg Pridmore teaches at his CLASS school to use both brakes, then I pulled him aside, and he admitted that he seldom uses the rear brake when riding the twisties fast, and almost never when racing. I prefer using just the front brake, YMMV. I repeat, YMMV. I repeat, YMMV.  Did I say YMMV?
Please don't waste your time trying to convince me of the advantages of using both brakes. That is all. baldy_zps5mb6zyba.gif  musicboohoo_zpsfb5qe2vh.gif

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I agree , but if you pull my overheated response I would ask that you pull bmmid last response. I can't sit here and look at it and not be mad. Thanks sorry for my part.

Archived