D222 rear tire life?

• Premium Member
On my last bike, Katana 750, I got 12000 miles with Roadsmart IIs. Would have got more but valve stem failed. 50% twisties, 25% highway, 25% around town. I felt it was a good all around tire. I switched to Q3s and got about 4000 mile before it wore to the cord. Great tire for twisties. I went back to Roadsmart for rear, front is still good.
I will most likely go to Roadsmart II when I change our the FJ 09 tires. I have about 2500 miles now. The stock tires seem ok to me.

p3ydV4OMjp9idEF5mjHi guys well I average 600kms per week in all road conditions and can tell you that after 42yrs of riding all sorts of high performance bikes the dunlop d222 do not cut the mustard in all round riding conditions they are fine in hot dry conditions but the moment there is any sort of moisture or cold slick road conditions they are hopeless millage compared to PR3 or PR4 there is no comparison on my last bike 2008r1 I achieved 15500 km on PR3S and they never let me down remember that there was no tc or abs on that model to compensate for over exuberance either.The cost difference is more than worth it for the piece of mind .

I have finally done enough miles (or rather km in my case) to join the conversation.

I have done around 8600 km on my bike now and my rear D222 is now due for replacement. I must add that most of that was done riding 2 up with fully loaded bike. So I am ok whit the mileage on the rear tire.

I was also happy how the stock tires performed in rain and cold. I have just returned from trip to Stelvio Pass, where the temperatures on the top of the passes were between 0 and 5°C and I had some snowy patches on the road. The grip on dry cold tarmac, as well as on wet tarmac was reassuring. Just the snowy parts wear a bit much for the tires :) . But I cannot compare the grip level with PRs, because I haven’t tried them jet.

[span id=transmark][/span]I was just surprised that I managed to run down the sides faster the middle of the tire. Any way … because the front tire is still in good condition, I will replace the rear with RoadSmart II. After that I will probably try the PRs.

• Premium Member
Just replaced my stock front D222 with a Dunlop Roadsmart II. I got 5,500 miles out of the front. Almost double the mileage of the stock rear tire. Just down to the wear bars on the sides of the tire, the center is still good. The tire squares off pretty good if you spend most of your time in the twisties like I do, but what tire doesn't?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
So the consensus is the stock tires last anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000+ miles. 
Ok, that was informative. :)

Ok, it is exactly 4,319.60 miles. Happy. 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
So the consensus is the stock tires last anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000+ miles. 
Ok, that was informative. :)

Ok, it is exactly 4,319.60 miles. Happy. 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gif
Hah! 
Mine just hit wear bars at 4,600mi.  I think one more day ride will be the end of them, or a couple of more weeks of commuting, but the handwriting is definitely on the wall at this point.  Now to find the time to do something about it....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/20/2015 at 3:45 PM, leedavis said:

1640 miles to clean off the rear and that's fairly typical for a performance tire on the twisties where I live in western North Carolina.  The front is still OK at 2500.

I want to ride with you! 

• Thumbsup 1