Which bike help please.

I'm wondering which of two bikes would be the better. A 2014 Fazer 8 or this one, an FJ-09. Similar horsepower, four vs triple, similar list price (Fazer is actually about $500 cheaper), an old model end of NA line vs brand new/ unproven etc. 
Any sage advice? I want to ride across the continent on the bike in a couple of years (before my 70th). This is going to be my last bike - the last 'kick at the can' of youth.

I know you asked about two different bikes, but if you're talking about riding across county and that implies many, possibly consectutive 400+ mile days in the saddle, you may want to consider looking at the FJR1300 for that job. I'll be giving the FJ-09 a hard look this spring, but I'm keeping my FJR for longer rides. It excels at that.

OK, back to regularly scheduled programming...

I've looked at STs and FJRs but they are Waaaay bigger than I want or can handle physically.

Why I remember when the biggest big bike you could get was a .... (fill in number under 800) /oldmanrant off

No. I'm seriously looking at these two bikes with a side glance at the Kawasaki N1K.

Are you in the UK?
I've not ridden either bike, but based on weight specs and ride reviews I've read, the FZ8 is not close to the FJ-09. Triples are typically very smooth ... a big plus for touring. Once you get the shield set up or altered, should be good on Peage/Motorways and long days. In the end, ride BOTH if you can, go with your heart.

I've owned several Triumph Triples ... my current '07 1050 Tiger is SO SMOOTH. Very nice bike but a heavy beast.

@Rumbo - no not in the UK or at least I'm there in spirit only as I'm an emigrant. I'm in Canada. I've not setup an profile here yet but I'm on the left coast and in my mind I've set up a 12000km ride to Halifax (NS not West Yorkshire) and back. I figure a year to sort out options - windshield, bags etc, and get some ride time in on the bike; and then next year head out. We will see. SWMBO has a say in this as well :) (She who must be obeyed)
I am giving a bit of a look at the new 800 tiger. There are so many ways to go here and my heart is totally confused.

@GSO - subjective? You bet. I hate these kinds of threads actually and never thought I'd start one just because of this factor but I just can't decide between the two machines. So all ideas and thoughts are grist in the mill. One machine from each of the major brands and then narrow down to one. I hope to get seat time at the Vancouver Motorcycle show in a couple of weeks. Test riding is a bit more dubious. I'm down to three serious contenders and a couple of outliers/maybes at the moment.
Beemers are out for budgetary reasons. Moto Guzzi for dealerships etc.... I prefer new or barely used as I'm no mechanic.

I sat on a FZ8, put my right foot on the foot peg and knew it was not the bike for me. My knee hurt just sitting there, too tight of a bend for my knee. I'm 5' 11". I've been looking like you, funjaunt, for my "Last Bike". I thought the FZ09 would be it, but it was missing too much. Yamaha must have been tuned in because they came back with the FJ-09 and I think it is it. But I'll know when I see one up close. Bigger is NOT better.
We'll see this spring,
Good luck,
Yamadog
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Are you in the UK? I've not ridden either bike, but based on weight specs and ride reviews I've read, the FZ8 is not close to the FJ-09. Triples are typically very smooth ... a big plus for touring. Once you get the shield set up or altered, should be good on Peage/Motorways and long days. In the end, ride BOTH if you can, go with your heart.

I've owned several Triumph Triples ... my current '07 1050 Tiger is SO SMOOTH. Very nice bike but a heavy beast.
From my understanding, as a general rule, I always thought the more cylinders the smoother.  Thus 4 smoother then a triple, triple smoother than a twin.  I own both an FZ8 and an FZ6.  Both are incredible smooth cruising with just a bit of a buzz at top end.  The reason I'm considering the FJ 09 to replace the FZ6 is looking for a little more low end torque and more relax riding position for my touring bike.   

Also considering the Tiger 800 but like that the FJ's exhaust is down low and out of the way compared to on the side.  Also can't argue with the reliability that I have gotten out of the Yamaha's.  Triumph has certainly got much better than yesteryear in that regards however. 

Thinking I'm making the move on the FJ by the end of this week....sweet! :D

Guest eatpasta
I'm wondering which of two bikes would be the better. A 2014 Fazer 8 or this one, an FJ-09. Similar horsepower, four vs triple, similar list price (Fazer is actually about $500 cheaper), an old model end of NA line vs brand new/ unproven etc.  Any sage advice? I want to ride across the continent on the bike in a couple of years (before my 70th). This is going to be my last bike - the last 'kick at the can' of youth.
go for the triple - especially if you've never had one. 
    I got my first Triple in the Speed Triple a few years ago and man.... the engine is so addictive.  Since then I just am not interested in my FJR 4 banger.  They make this very uncomfortable buzz because of the inherent balance issues associated with a 4.  The Triple is just so well balanced.... its just "sweet" is the only way I can really describe the way to feels.  Appealing vibration

:D

I was perusing CL today and the local Yamaha shop was listing a new 2013 FZ8 for $6100. If I had limited funds, which I do, I could see buying the FZ8 and going cross country with the difference $10,500 minus $6,100. Of course you don't have the all the electronic goodies or ABS, or a center stand, or a comfortable seat, and then there is the inline 4 buzz. It's a tough call. Kind of.. Since I've never had any of the goodies, except the comfortable seat, would I miss them? As for me I'm going to have to pass up that good deal until I can get a ride on a FJ 9.
Yamadog

XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Guest eatpasta
6100 for an fz8 is an amazing deal.... Thats tough to pass up.
And hey if you like the fz8, yiu like it! Whats there to know?

• 3 months later...
go for the triple - especially if you've never had one.      I got my first Triple in the Speed Triple a few years ago and man.... the engine is so addictive.  Since then I just am not interested in my FJR 4 banger.  They make this very uncomfortable buzz because of the inherent balance issues associated with a 4.  The Triple is just so well balanced.... its just "sweet" is the only way I can really describe the way to feels.  Appealing vibration

:D

All TRUE! I've had lots of fours ... going back to 1975 and my Honda 400-4. From 1985 to 1998 I had 5 different Ninjas. Also GSXR600, Concours ... plus 20 more random none inline 4 bikes in the mix.  
My first triple was 1st year Triumph Tiger, 1995. (bought it used &cheap in '98) Very nice bike ... but Triumph have improved 1000% since. Next up was my '99 885i Tiger. Flawless during 22,000 miles touring Europe. Bought in UK, sold after 3 tours, 3 years later. Perfect tourer.

Current '07 1050 Tiger is my favorite for the stunning motor, radial mount brakes  and comfort ... but the weight and handling means less versatile than I like. But power is fantastic ... and riding it back to back with a new Tiger 800XC ... well, sorry, no contest. The 1050 rips. But guess what?

The FJ is about the same HP as the 1050 ... and 40 lbs. lighter weight (or so) To me, not having ridden the FJ, that looks like a WIN WIN ... on paper anyway.

A good triple really does offer a sort of "best of both worlds" ride. Great low to mid torque like a twin... with a nice hit up top like a four. And it's all pretty smooth everywhere. Modern fours may be a bit smoother ... but some get buzzy/tingly at high cruise RPM.

Archived