Gas mileage calculation

Does any one know how the FJ display calculates mileage . The parameters available to use would seem to be gear, rpm, vacuum readings . It's seems unlikely that gas levels in tank and miles ridden would be used, certainly not for instantaneous readings. My readings always seem unrealistic on the high side. 

I commute 780 mi each week, and with the cost of fuel; MPG is important to me. 1- IMO Instant MPG calculated has to be based upon engine load. Traveling on flat roadways MPG rises, head up a steep hill and it drops pretty far when maintaining the same speed. 2- the AVG MPG is off by 2 MPG. Mine reads 46.2 and my calculations reach the sum of 44.8.

• Premium Member
I commute 780 mi each week, and with the cost of fuel; MPG is important to me. 1- IMO Instant MPG calculated has to be based upon engine load. Traveling on flat roadways MPG rises, head up a steep hill and it drops pretty far when maintaining the same speed.
It's closer to torque demand, but what's really happening is that the fuel injection system knows how much fuel it's injecting moment-to-moment.  All the computer needs is that plus the speed to figure out what the instantaneous mileage is. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I commute 780 mi each week, and with the cost of fuel; MPG is important to me. 1- IMO Instant MPG calculated has to be based upon engine load. Traveling on flat roadways MPG rises, head up a steep hill and it drops pretty far when maintaining the same speed. 2- the AVG MPG is off by 2 MPG. Mine reads 46.2 and my calculations reach the sum of 44.8.

I don't see being off by 5% as anything to grumble about - the speedo is not 100% accurate so any calculations will only be approximate.

Are you using the odometer data from the bike or an independent source such as a satnav? Both of these devices will have an error factor - the satnav will draw a straight line between datum points - the cheaper the satnav the bigger the gaps between datum points and the greater the error factor plus it won't be 100% accurate when going up or down gradients.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Yes I was wondering the samething, the display states I am getting close to 54 mpg, way higher than actual mpg, more like 45 by my calculations.  I only have put 380 miles on this past week and the display states 53.7 mpg.
I would like to know about these readings as well.  Might hit the dealership up with that question and post something later.

Archived